Terrified to walk in to Gym..just bought membership

Options
124»

Replies

• Dposh67
    Dposh67 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys so I asked and the location I joined has no classes it's too small. I've gone two days in a row and used the elliptical and the treadmill I think I am just going to put up with it for the month and move on at least I'll have no awkward first gym feelings with whatever new place I look into. I also looked into free weeks at a few other gyms to try out and find one within my budget which is limiting but it'll all work out I'm sure.

I had the same experience at my planet fitness that I just joined last month. It was my first gym that I EVER entered. They literally gave me my membership card, took a picture, and didn't even tell me where the lockers were. I had to ask where do I go. No tour...not even an offer to show me around (even though my PF isn't that big).

But atleast it broke the ice for me entering a gym. Now I won't feel so intimidated when i join another one in the future.
  • kellbot1
    kellbot1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Now I'm feeling totally spoiled by my Planet Fitness, which is huge and has a free trainer who is actually pretty good if you need to be shown how to do exercises.
  • alasiL
    alasiL Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it trust me, being the only one wearing a headscarf at gym I felt the same way but after the first 30min you forget about it and focus on what youre doing, I don't think ive been to a gym were by someone wasn't pleasant, in fact respect is a big part and people are more accepting. I hope you enjoy your first day :)
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Good for you, OP!!

I am mostly comfortable at my gym except for the weights area, so I know some of how you feel. It helps to remember that you may never be the strongest person there, but you're not the weakest either, and everyone has the same goal of getting healthy and fit.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    So I went after being inspired by this post. I went to planet fitness today and it was awful I mean I knew it was no equinox but I was expecting more! I said it was my first time going to a gym and the guy literally pointed and said ladies locker that way no tour no help. I think I am going to use the rest of the month I paid for and find somewhere new. Good thing there is no contract But on a positive note the people working out were not awkward and I was surprisingly in better shape than a lot of the people there so I was not as embarrassed.

Sounds like you spoke to the cleaner. That's bad.
  • beanerific518
    Options
    Haha! So I walked in today thinking of all the great advice and encouraging words and had a great time! No one cared to even look at me lol. I spent the majority of the time on the weight machines so I will be sore tomorrow. Thank you again for all your kindness and Im glad this post was helpful to others!

Yay! Glad to hear it!!
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You might want to look into classes that are available at the time you are going in. The 24-hour fitness near me offers spin and pump classes. Go a little early the first time and have the instructor give you a hand. A good instructor will also keep an eye on you during the workout to make sure you are doing okay.

I like classes because I am a bit of an introvert, so I can spend several classes watching other people and figuring out who the regulars are. Then I will talk to them in class or locker room. Once I have a group of people, even if I am not talking to them much, it makes it easier to get to the gym.

Pump classes are weight-lifting classes to music. I think its the best way for me to consistently lift weights. When you start, you can use light weights.