Where does "Tall" start?

Options

Replies

• Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'1" and so a man 6' or shorter gets called shorty by me. "Tall" for men from my vantage point starts at 6'4". I rarely if ever see women even close to my height, so I go by the average woman being approximately 5'6", so anything maybe 2 inches taller would be tall?

I realize that for men, the average is 5'10", so by the same principle I use for women, tall men would start at 6'. But that's so short!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    6'10' women, 6'3" men. Anybody under can't ride my roller coaster unless they have heels on...
    6'10" for women???

Damn. And I thought I was tall at 6'1"! LOL
    You touch some clouds shawty!
  • LadyHomestar
    LadyHomestar Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Being only 5'0, I'd say tall for a girl starts at 5'6. For a guy, like 5'11.
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I'm tall. In spirit :tongue:
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Well, I am 5'0, so my view may be tinted, but if I'm describing a woman to someone else, I'd probably call her tall if she's 5'7 or taller. For men, probably 6'0+. I have a friend who is 6'4. I call him super tall. I also think physique has a lot to do with the appearance of height. If you're really skinny, you'll look taller than you are and vice versa. One of my best friends from childhood is only 5'6, but I've always thought of her as being tall because she's so thin.

On a related note, I learned fairly recently that only 15% of men in the U.S. are 6'0 or taller. So all the single ladies who insist on dating men who are taller than 6'0 ... good luck with that. (I know, I'm a shortcake, easy for me to say.)
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    6'10' women, 6'3" men. Anybody under can't ride my roller coaster unless they have heels on...
    6'10" for women???

Even in the 4" heels I'm wearing today, I'm STILL short by your standards!
    love it!
  • AshleyM71
    AshleyM71 Posts: 3,029 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and always wear 3-4" heals. I figure why not? I feel confident. If someone feels I'm too tall, that's there problem, not mine. I feel statuesque and model-like. ????
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    6'10" for women???

love it!
    Just put on every sock you own, it will make you taller... ;)
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11" I'd say tall starts at 6'1" for men, probably 5'8" for women.

Side note: I've long observed two things about women and height. 1) Women don't want to be seen with a man who is less tall than she is, even if he's not really short. When I see a 6'2" woman, she is always with a man 6'3" or taller. 2) This seems to matter more to women than to men. Am I wrong?
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,254 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0. So, anyone over 5'1"
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    ^^I don't know that I agree. I'm 5'8 1/2 and my hubby is 5'11, but if I'm wearing 3-4 inch heels...I'm obviously taller than him. Doesn't bother me at all, though. :smile:
  • s1rens0ng
    s1rens0ng Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    uk clothing measurements ladies regular is to fit up to 5ft8 (inside leg 31"), 5ft9 or above you need to buy tall and mens inside leg above 33" is the tall range.

My hubby 6ft 4 inside leg 35" and im 5.9-10 inside legs is 35" im well out of proportion lol
  • FoxBean
    FoxBean Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and usually considered tall to other girls. But I consider tall 5'8 and up for girls. Guys I'd say 6'0 and up.
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    6'10" for women???

love it!
    Just put on every sock you own, it will make you taller... ;)

I just drunk sorted them though!
  • Chieflrg
    Options

Side note: I've long observed two things about women and height. 1) Women don't want to be seen with a man who is less tall than she is, even if he's not really short. When I see a 6'2" woman, she is always with a man 6'3" or taller. 2) This seems to matter more to women than to men. Am I wrong?

1. I don't agree totally. There will never be a blanket that covers all women or men likes or dislikes.

2. Depends on who is more insecure.
  • MireyGal76
    Options

I dated someone who was shorter than me though, once upon a time, and he ended up hating my height. He put me down, made me feel bad about it, would get upset if my shoes had any heel to them. It was really hard on me. That relationship didn't last and made me nervy about considering dating someone shorter than me again.

Then I met and fell in love with someone who was shorter than me, but he didn't mind at all. He loved my height. And it made all the difference in the world.
  • mediamogulsteve
    mediamogulsteve Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Tall starts at the point where your leg is jammed into the seat in front of you on an airplane. If your knee doesn't touch the seat in front of you, you're not tall.
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    People always say I am tall at 5'6" but I don't feel that tall. Tall to me is 5''8" for Women and 6' for men.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8.75". I don't consider myself particularly tall, just a bit above average, but I know a lot of really tall people. I had a girl friend in college who was 6'6". THAT is tall, especially for a woman.

My husband is 5'9". I wear heels around him (although he'd prefer if I didn't but doesn't mind terribly if I do). And I've definitely been attracted to men who are shorter than that.