Foods from your past- What you know now...

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    On the topic of cheese...I still love cheese, and eat it...but holy portion control. That has been a big eye-opener for me.

My husband makes homemade pizza pretty often with a healthier whole wheat superthin crust and loads of veg...it is so good...and he puts like 2 oz of shredded cheese on the whole big pizza and it's PLENTY. It doesn't seem like it would be, and it doesn't look that cheesy. But it tastes amazing.

I used to dump at least that much cheese on a microwave burrito for lunch.

And when I made chicken broccoli alfredo pasta for my ex, with "reduced fat" Ragu jarred sauce (ugh) I would toss in like 1 cup of shredded mozzarella. WHY!? I don't even know. It was not that good and you could barely taste the cheese anyway.
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Breakfast tacos! Why the heck are they 350 calories each? OMGoodness. I miss you breakfast tacos (staring out into space....)
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I used to have a golden syrup sandwich (or two, on buttered thick white bread of course!) as a snack.

The calories...the sugar...the HORROR hahahah

Haha that's so english! Sounds so good. I once remember eating an entire LOAF of sugar and butter on toast with my brother when we were teenagers.
  • kellbot1
    kellbot1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Margaritas. I could easily down a week's worth of sugar in one sitting, never mind the calories.

I still have one now and then when I plan ahead, but mostly I've cut alcohol out of my diet. When I do have a drink it tends to be whiskey or a dry wine.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I never paid attention to serving sizes. So when I was "just having some ice cream" or "some cookies" or "hey let's have a fancy iced drink" It never occurred to me I was consuming multiple servings and thus a crazy amount of calories!

Same here. I didn't realize my portions sizes were so off. No wonder the weight creeped up. I wasn't really eating "bad" food all the time, but just too much of everything. At work and at home the people I eat with are much taller, so I would eat as they did, not really thinking that they could afford more calories than I could.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    Breakfast tacos! Why the heck are they 350 calories each? OMGoodness. I miss you breakfast tacos (staring out into space....)

What kind?

I make my own and they're around 177-200.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    In the past I'd have had a fairly low calorie day like today and thought "great low calories=weight loss".
    Now I know that too low also = muscle loss.
    So, I went and got myself a cheesecake (half price!) and had 930 calories of that. In the past such a thought would have seen me running away shouting 'unclean', with reading through various research and the like I've now realised that washing the knife beforehand will do just fine :).
  • Trashtruck
    Options
    Every single thing I ate... I'm surprised I'm not dead... for real.
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    This makes me sad. It's just food. We need calories... 400 for a medium frosty sounds like a good deal to me. That's just a drop in the ocean when it comes to an entire day's calories!

What does deter me from eating certain things now is learning what foods contain sand and wax... what some preservatives are derived from... stuff like that. Something's got to be a literal non-food item to keep me from eating it. Haha.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Sand and wax?
    Would that be a birthday cake eaten at the beach?

:)
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    My wakeup call was Starbucks, who knew
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I used to down 1600 calories in one sitting when I ate at Taco Bell. I ate there every day...
  • Corsetopia
    Corsetopia Posts: 307 Member
    Options

This exactly. Adding 500 calories of Starbucks coffee every morning before class along with a 700 calorie or more breakfast burrito....eeps!!! The sodium, the sugar...the calories! And all before 10AM!
  • seltzermint555
    Options

This exactly. Adding 500 calories of Starbucks coffee every morning before class along with a 700 calorie or more breakfast burrito....eeps!!! The sodium, the sugar...the calories! And all before 10AM!

Totally agree about the Starbucks. Before I joined MFP and took notice of what calories were in things, I THOUGHT I "kind of" knew...and I was so wrong. I actually would have guessed that a 10 oz cup of brewed coffee with artificial sweetener and a splash of milk was like 150 calories (really high and wrong guesstimate there) and a grande white chocolate mocha, full fat milk, whipped cream, etc, was like 250 cal (really low and wrong guesstimate). So I didn't see the big fuss about "bad sugary drinks from Starbucks" when one of my friends used to say that I thought she was just being holier than thou and dramatic.
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    This makes me sad. It's just food. We need calories... 400 for a medium frosty sounds like a good deal to me. That's just a drop in the ocean when it comes to an entire day's calories!

Not for me - its a quarter of my daily calorie allowance on excersise day and pretty much half my calorie allowance on fast days.

Kentucky Fried Chicken was my downfall. I used to walk 20 minutes to the nearest one get a 2 piece snack box with sides then walk home. I thought I was being healthy by walking it off LOL!

And iced coffees, with full cream milk, ice cream and whipped cream with chocolate sprinkles. My sister and I used to have one every afternoon after school when we were kids. Luckily we were very active back then and never put on any weight.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I can't even imagine what the Rosati's deep dish Chicago Style Italian Beef and jalapeno pizza that i used to eat would look like on a nutrition chart. Probably as much fat in a single slice than i eat lately in 2 days.
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    B4 MFP - Pizza love it - ate it all the time!
    After MFP - Pizza love it - eat it once in a while! Tons of calories and lots of sodium! :(

B4 MFP - I love soup and would always eat canned
    After MFP - I don't really eat soup any more because there's way too much sodium.
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    The first thing that really shocked me was a piece of hot chocolate fudge cake at the local Wetherspoons. I knew it wasn't going to be good, but finding out it was over half my daily calorie allowance makes me rethink whenever I go!

Number of calories per chocolate cookie. I used to eat a good portion of the packet quite easily. Now one is a treat!

Fast food burgers and fries. Again I knew they were bad, but finding out just how many calories they gave me for such an unsatisfied response means I'm not interested in them anymore.

A caramel machiato from Starbucks, plenty of cream and syrup. I'll have to try the skinny version someone mentioned.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I used to eat Lean Cuisines all the time. Also low fat mayo and dressings, etc.

Now I've realized that if I cook meals at home, they can be as low calorie as Lean cuisine and taste much better, not to mention better ingredients and less sodium. And I've gone back to regular dressings, just measure the amounts of regular. I actually am generally more satisfied with 1Tb of regular dressing than I would be with twice as much "light" or "low fat" ... and when things are reduced fat they usually add sugar and other stuff to compensate, so it's not really any better.

Beyond that, I eat everything I used to. Wendy's, sushi rolls, pizza, shakes, etc. I don't do it all the time, and try to keep near daily calorie goals (and macros, as much as possible). Or I allow it for a cheat day. But I have to admit, I've stopped at the Chinese Buffet and other places that don't really taste all that good.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Cookies...would just eat the cookie dough out of the container.

Oh and my mom and I used to go to the gym and tell oursevles we "earned" our dinner. This dinner was Zaxby's Kickin Chicken sandwich. We would follow it up by splitting a Yo-Yo cookie from Publix. Granted...now that I am recovering from anorexia I kind of wish I could have alittle bit of this freedom...but still..I can't believe I ate that without thinking.

Or when used to get Chicken and Brocolli from Chinese...with the sauce....who knew was so much fat and sodium.

And peanut butter. Used to eat that without measuring..silly me.