Food to get the bowels working again

Options
Not the nicest conversation topic but this is something that is beginning to bother me.
I know it's normal for one to become a little less regular when starting a diet but I've gone from once a day to about twice a week.

I started drinking coffee because it's the only thing that gets things moving but I don't want to become reliant on it.

I was wondering if anybody has any other food suggestions?

Apples used to be good for this but they don't seem to be doing it for me any more and I'm not really a fan of prunes.

Replies

• marilandica
    marilandica Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Drink more water. Lots and lots of water. Prunes are not the only high fiber dried fruit -- dried apricots can be even more effective. I assume you're consuming lots of fiber in whole grains, fruits and vegetables? A little fat can also help things along once in a while. Oh, and exercise. Take a brisk walk.
  • sezzafatty
    Options
    Try to drink plenty of water and eat fruit veg. I found exercise helped things along. Never a good thing
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I've had friends who have said that Activia yogurt works well for them.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Berries, lentils, and beans are all very high in fiber.

Also, Quest protein bars have 15 grams of fiber.
  • dortilolma
    dortilolma Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I know exercise is supposed to help - I run pretty much everyday.

I drink a lot of herbal and green tea - I've been counting this toward water intake but I think I might just try and drink more water as well.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest adding fiber to your food diary so you can keep an eye on it. Looks like you're eating a good balance but it can be hard to tell for sure without that info right in front of you.

I also see you're getting a pretty good intake of fat most of the time - that's usually why some folks get stopped up.

My only other suggestion is to make sure you're drinking plenty of water. Not just the recommended 8 but at least 12 cups, especially on the days you're exercising.

There's some tea a friend of mine loves to use for days like that called Smooth Move - I think you can find it pretty much anywhere that sells teas.
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Drink more water and eat more raw veggies.
  • bermudamel
    bermudamel Posts: 212
    Options
    If you're eating healthier your body has less junk to process and filter out! Don't worry about sounding gross. lots of Water, fiber and exercise like everyone has suggested seems to do the trick.
  • hiba_84
    hiba_84 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Dried fruits. Dried figs work very well for me.

Or else, I normally have a big salad bowl before breakfast and do some walking. 15 minutes and I would normally run to the bathroom.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Adding Linseed can help - I add it to my porridge (oatmeal) either made hot or fridge porridge. Protein and helps things along a bit. Increasing fluids and exercise helps too.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Fiber, water and fat. Plenty of the first two and not too little of the third.

A daily probiotic may also be helpful.
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Sunflower seeds do it for me
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Looked at your diary and you seem to be eating enough fruits and vegetables. I have luck with kiwi. You could try that instead of your evening apple.
  • melplautz
    melplautz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Watermelon daily!!
  • jeralank
    jeralank Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Not the nicest conversation topic but this is something that is beginning to bother me.
    I know it's normal for one to become a little less regular when starting a diet but I've gone from once a day to about twice a week.

I started drinking coffee because it's the only thing that gets things moving but I don't want to become reliant on it.

I was wondering if anybody has any other food suggestions?

Apples used to be good for this but they don't seem to be doing it for me any more and I'm not really a fan of prunes.

Everyone has been mentioning food, which is what you asked, but I'm going to jump out of the box and make a suggestion. Yoga... The twisting poses in yoga are designed to "wring out" the digestive system, and get things moving in the proper direction... Just a few minutes of meditation a day in those poses could work wonders for flushing things through... I know they've never failed me...
  • Super_Amy
    Super_Amy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Fiber, water and fat. Plenty of the first two and not too little of the third.

A daily probiotic may also be helpful.

I've had the same issue which thankfully is now resolved. You want lots of fiber, water, good fat and I took a daily probiotic as well. (I took Acifophilus tablets which are pretty inexpensive.)
  • skhny
    skhny Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with this as well. My doctor recommended senokot as needed and said it was not "addictive". I drink plenty of water and have been exercising almost daily (87 day streak, yay!!) in the last week or so things have been improving (almost like my body has adjusted to all the changes). Berries have been the only thing to really make a difference in the last few months.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Avocados!
    Seriously, one quarter a day will keep things moving along. Many people cut too much fat from their diets when they attempt to lose weight, and end up with this problem. A good level of healthy fats combined with high fiber and lots of water will definitely help.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Super Dieter's Tea for a quick fix.

Probiotics in the long term.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Lots of water, and lots of fiber.

I'm with you on the prunes....BLECH!!! The way I get my fiber in is to have Chocolite protein bars (www.healthsmartfoods.com). They have about 10 g fiber, about 10 g protein, about 100 calories, and are sugar free and gluten free. I usually have 1-2 of those a day.