Food to get the bowels working again

Options

Replies

• mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I've tried everything for this issue... and came down to a few things that seem to help

1. juicing beets - it will turn everything red, but it is working well for me.
    2. Probiotic - What originally got me started was Align - I had bowel issues for months and came across align

Dieter's tea will work...BUT if taking it for long periods of time, your body will adjust to only going when you drink it, so be careful. (this happened to me)

I ended up having to see my doctor over this, since I started having the issue 9 months ago, and finally became regular. He prescribed me a senakot and a stool softener, I declined to take them regularly, since I did this when i first starting having the issue, but would not be able to poop unless i took it, so i no my body became used to using to go
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue and do all the things suggested above. Eat more fats/protein/fruits/veggies, exercise six days a week, drink between 12-14 glasses of water a day and still only have a bm a couple times a week. Frustrating how our bodies deal sometimes with normal everyday stuff.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Apple juice and lots of it. I used to keep several juice boxes on hand in case I needed some help. Try drinking 2 cups of apple juice (that's 16 oz) all at one time. After a few hours if nothing is moving, try another cup or two. That should get anyone moving!

ETA: Once things are moving more regularly, you can back down to just one cup a day.
  • dortilolma
    dortilolma Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Wow! Some fantastic advice!
    Thank you everyone!
  • zoquo
    zoquo Posts: 75
    Options
    I found that quinoa works well for me. Also its very healthy, I add it to salads to bulk them out a bit its a complete protein so i use it to ensure i get enough when working out.
  • Kixshots
    Kixshots Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I find oatmeal helps , lots of fibre
    I also heard ripe bananas are really good
  • hyphenbobbit
    hyphenbobbit Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Adding Linseed can help - I add it to my porridge (oatmeal) either made hot or fridge porridge. Protein and helps things along a bit. Increasing fluids and exercise helps too.

Definitely vouch for the linseed - tastes good mixed into natural yoghurt too
  • Slinky_BraveHeartBunsOfSteel
    Options
    All-bran :)
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest adding fiber to your food diary so you can keep an eye on it. Looks like you're eating a good balance but it can be hard to tell for sure without that info right in front of you.

I also see you're getting a pretty good intake of fat most of the time - that's usually why some folks get stopped up.

My only other suggestion is to make sure you're drinking plenty of water. Not just the recommended 8 but at least 12 cups, especially on the days you're exercising.

There's some tea a friend of mine loves to use for days like that called Smooth Move - I think you can find it pretty much anywhere that sells teas.

PLEASE do NOT use laxative teas. I drank Senna Tea once a week for a couple of months and it caused horrible stomach problems for me for 6+ months. I literally did not have a bowel movement for 6 months, went through many many tests, even a colonoscopy at 24 years old, in which the colonoscopy prep barely caused any movement. I could not even pass gas. I was diagnosed with IBS-C because all tests came back normal. The doctor did blame the tea, but did not believe that I was using it once a week, he thought I was abusing it to lose weight. PLEASE stay away from laxative tea.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    You could always do what the accountants do...............(just joking).

It sounds counter intuitive, but try cutting back on the grains (insoluble fiber) - see link below.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23326148

Concentrate on the soluble fiber - like oatmeal (FODMAP link below).

http://www.ibsgroup.org/brochures/fodmap-intolerances.pdf

increasing your fat intake can also help.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I have found if I start packing on protein- I need to up the fat content- protein + bready/brown/rice/ typecarbs kills me and makes me really not regular.

Protein + veggies + fat works well for me.

But I have found my protein really binds me up when I get upwards of 200 grams and no fat to help it along.
  • FMF77
    FMF77 Posts: 5
    Options
    Popcorn and coffee = ultimate combination for bowel movements :D
  • cricket_77
    cricket_77 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Haribo sugar free gummy bears ought to do it :tongue:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Haribo sugar free gummy bears ought to do it :tongue:

winner winner chicken dinner

totally forgot about those.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It sounds counter intuitive, but try cutting back on the grains (insoluble fiber) -

Cut back on grains and eat more oatmeal. :huh: :laugh:

Beans and fruit are also good sources of soluable fiber.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    It sounds counter intuitive, but try cutting back on the grains (insoluble fiber) -

Cut back on grains and eat more oatmeal. :huh: :laugh:

Beans and fruit are also good sources of soluable fiber.

Yes, thank you I am aware Oatmeal is a grain (just happens to be soluble fiber).

What I meant was cut back on insoluble grain - wheat, rye etc.

I know that on these forums everything has to be worded correctly. :smile:
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    The Indian buffet down the street gets my bowels moving real quick! so much so I don't eat there anymore.
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Water and yogurt!

You don't even need Activia, regular yogurt with active cultures will do the trick.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I get constipated if I go low fat, even if I eat piles of fruit, veg and wholegrains. Make sure you're getting plenty of good fat in your diet.
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. I eat health, my fibre is always over and i do cardio every second day for 30 minutes of running. I only go number 2 about 2-3 times a week since i started all this. When i have my cheat days i tend to go to the washroom more.... even though i eat very little fibre o.o