My husband hates healthy food...help?!?

Options
Ok so my wonderful husband has a super high metabolism & can eat anything without gaining weight. He's very southern & literally claims i'm trying to poison him every time I try to cook a healthy dinner. He thinks everything should have fat & grease & the more fried food the better. He also has to have bread with every mean & absolutely refuses to eat whole grains. He also refuses to have any vegetarian meals, he's a hunter & grinds most of our meat himself so it's very lean at least. We both love pasta & I got him to compromise on the noodles so now we only eat veggie noodles. Does anyone have any ideas for any other swaps I can make while still keeping him satisfied? Or any great recipes or sites with recipes that he'll eat without complaint?

Replies

• JediPrincess88
    Options
    That's a touch question. I have similar problem in that my husband HATES almost every vegetable known to man. -_- I tend to try to hide the vegetables, like one time I cooked chicken soup for him and I put spinach in it and he actually really liked it. Have you tried anything like 'oven fried chicken' or something like that? It's just as good as fried, but it's actually baked so you don't get all the grease and oil.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Just because you want to change the way you eat, doesn't mean he has too.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    So don't cook your foods for him. There are some things my wife won't eat, no big deal.
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Maybe steam some brocolli and pour velveeta cheese on it.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I'd let him cook whatever he wants to eat and you eat what you feel most comfortable with. He sounds picky. I've heard that if you cut up veggies very very small, they are less noticeable to picky eaters and you can still get all those nutrients.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Leave him alone
  • swoffie
    swoffie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    So don't cook your foods for him. There are some things my wife won't eat, no big deal.
    Then he can cook his own damn food?
  • TheDoctorDonna10
    Options

I'm not trying to change the way he eats, I just don't want to have to cook two separate meals every night. If we had kids I wouldn't mind cooking one meal for them & something small for me but it's just the two of us & that seems a little ridiculous. I'm just trying to find a way to compromise that will still keep him happy & satisfied without making me continue to gain weight.
  • Dedicatedmetime
    Dedicatedmetime Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    We have a rule in our house "If you don't like dinner make your own"
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower cooked soft and put in a food processor, mixes well with mashed potatoes. Half of each is really undetectable some say.
    Spinach lasagna isn't bad if you find a good recipe.
    Low-fat products are poison in my opinion.
  • jillian_fan2425
    jillian_fan2425 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have a similar situation; my husband thinks whole-wheat pasta tastes grainy, so we did just like you guys and compromised. I mean, there are foods I don't like, and he's considerate enough to leave them out of our evening meals. It's a little annoying, but I can make up for it when we go out or I eat lunch with friends--then I can order food to my liking. Anyway, now we buy veggie pasta or white pasta with added fiber. We do try to have dinner together because it saves money and time; I just give myself a smaller portion. He definitely doesn't mind eating his share and then some! :smile: If your husband has to have bread with every meal, just give yourself a little piece (if you want it) or see if he's open to non-white varieties. Also, on days when I am expecting us to have a higher calorie dinner, I take that into account and plan for a slightly smaller or healthier lunch to make room for calories later on.
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options

I'm not trying to change the way he eats, I just don't want to have to cook two separate meals every night. If we had kids I wouldn't mind cooking one meal for them & something small for me but it's just the two of us & that seems a little ridiculous. I'm just trying to find a way to compromise that will still keep him happy & satisfied without making me continue to gain weight.

Have you familiarized yourself with the nutritional values of foods you eat? Might be a little hard if everything you eat is fried but you can learn portion control.
  • fabfit24
    fabfit24 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I would agree- you cant go wrong with a soup. I put so much meat and even more veggies in the soup and he loves.it,! A few other suggestions is a quiche loaded with vegetables and sauteed onions or a baked butternut squash (or potato) cut in half and stuffed with grilled vegetables and melted cheese.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm a b*tch, but my rule is, if you don't like what I cook, you can cook your own shi t.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Ahhhh ok. Whatever you make for yourself, make it smothered/salted for him. Boom done.
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Make him go have his mommy cook for him and you can continue to eat healthy without the added challenge of a picky manchild not wanting to eat his veggies.
  • dogwhisperette
    dogwhisperette Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Awe. that is a hard one to figure out but not impossible. Its like trying to quit smoking and living with a smoker. I get it! When you say he likes fried food, is it in home cooking fried food or take out? If its in the home cooking it can be worked around. You will need to do some google time and research on ideas but you can do it. I think the key is making it fun and enjoyable for both of you. You can do it!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,967 Member
    Options
    We have a rule in our house "If you don't like dinner make your own"
    We've always had 2 rules when it came to food growing up and that was........take it or leave it.:wink:
  • DaSassyFourTwenty
    DaSassyFourTwenty Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    your husband should be proud that he has a thoughtful and caring wife who is concerned about his eating habits. I agree with everyone that says separate the meals. don't push him to do something he doesn't want to do its just add extra stress on you and may interfere with you reaching your goals.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm a b*tch, but my rule is, if you don't like what I cook, you can cook your own shi t.

That's my rule, too!
    Or maybe you could alternate, have a meal you like one night then a meal he likes the next? If you're careful with your portions, you don't necessarily have to give up fried food to lose weight.