"Are you trying to get fat?"

Options
Sometimes I wonder whether certain "people" walking around are actually even human. I've just heard from a tiny size 8 friend that she went to the petrol station this morning, decided to get a Twirl chocolate bar and the guy behind the counter said to her "are you trying to get fat?"

...how is this in ANY WAY ACCEPTABLE!?!!!?!!!

Makes me so so mad. IT IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS WHAT PEOPLE ARE EATING OR NOT EATING!

Rant over.

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I would reply with "No - are you trying to be a douche or does it just come naturally?"
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I worked at a gas station when i was younger. It's actually a really sad job, because you spend the whole day serving addicts. The guy who could barely hand me money cause he was shaking so bad coming in to buy his 4th coffee of the day. The lady hacking out her lungs asking for a carton of Marlboro. The fat people coming in and buying big bags of candy and soda.

I'm not saying this was a good thing to say, but i can see where this guy is coming from. Most people buying candy bars are fat, and they start off as skinny young people.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I worked at a gas station when i was younger. It's actually a really sad job, because you spend the whole day serving addicts. The guy who could barely hand me money cause he was shaking so bad coming in to buy his 4th coffee of the day. The lady hacking out her lungs asking for a carton of Marlboro. The fat people coming in and buying big bags of candy and soda.

I'm not saying this was a good thing to say, but i can see where this guy is coming from. Most people buying candy bars are fat, and they start off as skinny young people.

Insert huge effing eye roll here. Seriously?
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I wonder whether certain "people" walking around are actually even human. I've just heard from a tiny size 8 friend that she went to the petrol station this morning, decided to get a Twirl chocolate bar and the guy behind the counter said to her "are you trying to get fat?"

Makes me so so mad. IT IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS WHAT PEOPLE ARE EATING OR NOT EATING!

Rant over.

You and your friend clearly care too much about what other people think...
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options

????? Comparing caffeine, cigarettes and candy bars???? Really.

I've read some pretty WTF posts on these boards, but this is a new level.

To the OP, no, it's not acceptable to say something like that to anyone.
  • lunapetu0311
    Options
    Ohhhhhhh, that would make me see RED!!!!
  • katylil
    katylil Posts: 223 Member
    Options

You still don't COMMENT on it. You can think about it all you like. B*tch about me when I leave? Knock yourself out. But you don't just ask me a question like that. It's basic general manners. It's not their job to criticize my choices in life.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It's basic general manners. It's not their job to criticize my choices in life.

But you're doing the same thing...
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Most people buying candy bars are fat, and they start off as skinny young people.

Lol

<
    eats chocolate every day. Losing weight and fat. Getting older.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

You still don't COMMENT on it. You can think about it all you like. B*tch about me when I leave? Knock yourself out. But you don't just ask me a question like that. It's basic general manners. It's not their job to criticize my choices in life.
    I NEVER commented to a customer about their purchase. I just felt bad serving them sometimes.
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options

Rant over.

You and your friend clearly care too much about what other people think...
    Agreed.
  • fittestpal
    fittestpal Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    He said that because he was trying to flirt with her but didn't know what to say lol
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My reply - "are you trying to get punched in the throat?" lol
  • aarondnguyen
    aarondnguyen Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Totally agreed.

And that's why I regularly do things like eat slices of pizza at the Costco food court. I've been asked various times how I stay in shape despite eating "dirty" ;)
  • KirkEdenPrime
    Options
    I once went to try some clothes, and the guy who was serving went "DO YOU EVEN EAT ANYTHING!?!" and then asked me when the last time I ate was.

It's not about if I care about what other people think of me or not. It's rude.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I suspect he was just teasing and making conversation rather than trying to upset customers.
  • Rak0ribz
    Rak0ribz Posts: 177 Member
    Options

Rant over.
    I think it is my business, but only because I've never heard of Twirl bars. Are they good?
  • fittestpal
    fittestpal Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Weight is never a good topic when flirting with women because it is NEVER taken the right way. Mainly because their are very few women who are totally comfortable with their bodies overall. It's sad. I blame the media
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Stuff like that happens to me pretty regularly! In fact, I feel like someone says something almost every time I decide to eat something slightly indulgent.

We have a donut truck that makes fresh, hot, made-to-order pastries in our town. One day, I walked 2 miles from my office to the truck and got ONE donut. A passer-by said 'You're not going to stay skinny if you eat donuts like that!'

Then just a few weeks ago, I was at Panera. I got a chocolate pastry and a coffee (maybe a total of 475 calories of food) and the man next to me at the coffee station actually said 'What's a fit woman like you doing eating junk?' He said this while holding a bagel with cream cheese that had just as much sugar and more calories than my pastry.

It's always men who say things to me. And they're always 'concerned' that I'm going to get fat.

I'm always polite and smile and say 'All things in moderation', but it makes me mad. Look dudes, I work hard, I eat what I want in moderation, and I know what I'm doing. You better back off and mind your own business!