"Are you trying to get fat?"

Options

Replies

• redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I worked at a gas station when i was younger. It's actually a really sad job, because you spend the whole day serving addicts. The guy who could barely hand me money cause he was shaking so bad coming in to buy his 4th coffee of the day. The lady hacking out her lungs asking for a carton of Marlboro. The fat people coming in and buying big bags of candy and soda.

I'm not saying this was a good thing to say, but i can see where this guy is coming from. Most people buying candy bars are fat, and they start off as skinny young people.

I have no words. None. Just... wow.
    I counted 7.

Your verbal diarrhea is not helping your case. Just stop.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I worked at a gas station when i was younger. It's actually a really sad job, because you spend the whole day serving addicts. The guy who could barely hand me money cause he was shaking so bad coming in to buy his 4th coffee of the day. The lady hacking out her lungs asking for a carton of Marlboro. The fat people coming in and buying big bags of candy and soda.

I'm not saying this was a good thing to say, but i can see where this guy is coming from. Most people buying candy bars are fat, and they start off as skinny young people.

Not worth it.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options

I have no words. None. Just... wow.
    I counted 7.

DYEL
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

Aw... bless your heart, darlin'.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    He works at a gas station. Just laugh.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Seeing as you still have more than 20lbs to lose I guess being a "frutarian" (whatever that nonsense is) makes you fat too.
    I got a lot more than 20 to go. And i didn't get fat by eating fruit, i gained all the weight when i was eating meat and dairy. I don't gain weight when i'm eating massive amounts of fruit, i lose it, just like everyone else who tries eating a fruit and vegetable based diet.
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    It was incredibly rude, I agree. But, just to grant a bit of perspective... Was this person a foreigner? I was born & raised in America, but have been around plenty of them. In many other countries, it's not really considered rude to say things like that. A lot of remarks that would leave you gobsmacked here are actually voiced in quite the cavalier manner in other parts of the world. Korea being just one of them. It's possible that he didn't mean to get under your friend's skin as badly as he did.

This is very true! When I first met my sister's mother-in-law, the first thing she said was "WOW YOU'RE BIG" and I was pretty embarrassed until it got hastily explained to me that the women in her culture often throw comments like that around and that they aren't necessarily meant as insults or thought of as rude. It was kind of surreal, but I got used to it in time.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing he was trying to "neg" her in the manner of idiot "pickup artists" everywhere. It's lame, guys, and it doesn't work. And if you're dumb enough to try it, you deserve the inevitable forever-alone results.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I wonder whether certain "people" walking around are actually even human. I've just heard from a tiny size 8 friend that she went to the petrol station this morning, decided to get a Twirl chocolate bar and the guy behind the counter said to her "are you trying to get fat?"

...how is this in ANY WAY ACCEPTABLE!?!!!?!!!

Makes me so so mad. IT IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS WHAT PEOPLE ARE EATING OR NOT EATING!

Rant over.
    I think it is my business, but only because I've never heard of Twirl bars. Are they good?

Yup. Made by Cadbury, kind of like Flakes, but coated in chocolate so not as messy to eat.

Okay, now whats a "Flakes"?

http://youtu.be/3tbI84xZE1s
  • hlcook
    hlcook Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It's basic general manners. It's not their job to criticize my choices in life.

But you're doing the same thing...

No, this is called participating in a discussion. But someone AT WORK, getting paid in a CUSTOMER SERVICE position, can think all they want, but NO, they should not comment on their customers' purchases TO THE CUSTOMER.
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I worked at a gas station too while I was going to college. It wasn't the best job but I could never try to tell someone that. That is beyond mean to anyone. If you don't want to serve people who might be addicted to something don't work in retail. I saw some sad looking people coming in for their vices and I didn't say anything because I don't have the right to judge anyone.
  • Rak0ribz
    Rak0ribz Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I wonder whether certain "people" walking around are actually even human. I've just heard from a tiny size 8 friend that she went to the petrol station this morning, decided to get a Twirl chocolate bar and the guy behind the counter said to her "are you trying to get fat?"

Makes me so so mad. IT IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS WHAT PEOPLE ARE EATING OR NOT EATING!

Rant over.
    I think it is my business, but only because I've never heard of Twirl bars. Are they good?

Yup. Made by Cadbury, kind of like Flakes, but coated in chocolate so not as messy to eat.

That reminds me. I have a couple of bars in the cupboard. :drinker:
    Fine. Now I hate you, chocolate-that's-not-available-to-me-having person.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    It makes me angry when any clerk in any store comments on my purchases. When I bought Fifty Shades of Grey for my sister's birthday gift, the clerk said to me, "You do know what this is about, don't you?" My response was, "Yes, I do. I'm an adult and it's really none of your business anyway." Their job is not to analyze or make comments about my purchases! It crosses the line of being friendly.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options

Rant over.

You and your friend clearly care too much about what other people think...

Nah ah. You could say this every time when someone is being rude. There comes a point where you have to care about what other people think because they are PLAIN WRONG and if they aren't called out on it they'll continue on their merry way being wrong/arseholes. Don't twist this round to be the OP + friends fault for caring.

In other news, I had a discussion with the owner + coach of my gym about how he can NEVER go shopping for food locally without some busybody eyeing up the contents of his basket or trolley and feeling the need to comment on it. Some people don't recognise boundaries.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Seeing as you still have more than 20lbs to lose I guess being a "frutarian" (whatever that nonsense is) makes you fat too.
    I got a lot more than 20 to go. And i didn't get fat by eating fruit, i gained all the weight when i was eating meat and dairy because I was eating at a caloric surplus. I don't gain weight when i'm eating massive amounts of fruit as long as I maintain a caloric deficit, i lose it, just like everyone else who tries eating a fruit and vegetable based diet who eats at a caloric deficit.

FIFY
  • favoritenut
    favoritenut Posts: 217 Member
    Options

Insert huge effing eye roll here. Seriously?

plus one with the eye roll! I work part time at a gas station and would never say anything like that to a random customer, especially if I didn't know them. (the only thing that saddens me is when kids turn 18 and come in a buy cigs, I do want to ask them WHY!!!!)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I got a lot more than 20 to go. And i didn't get fat by eating fruit, i gained all the weight when i was eating meat and dairy. I don't gain weight when i'm eating massive amounts of fruit, i lose it, just like everyone else who tries eating a fruit and vegetable based diet.

that's funny- because I lost weight eating a high fat high protein diet - full of meat and dairy.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

that's funny- because I lost weight eating a high fat high protein diet - full of meat and dairy.
    You can lose weight that way, but that's not a sustainable healthy diet.

You can lose weight, AND reverse heart disease, diabetes, autoimmune conditions and improve energy levels, improve cognitive ability, live longer, etc on a fruit and vegetable based diet.

I have tried both. I have lost weight with both. But fruit and vegetable based diets are FAR, FAR healthier!
  • pghfitgirl
    Options
    Some people have no filter...he was probably trying to find a way to strike up conversation and ended up sticking his foot in his mouth.

And now I want a candy bar.