"Are you trying to get fat?"

Options

Replies

• pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I worked at a gas station when i was younger. It's actually a really sad job, because you spend the whole day serving addicts. The guy who could barely hand me money cause he was shaking so bad coming in to buy his 4th coffee of the day. The lady hacking out her lungs asking for a carton of Marlboro. The fat people coming in and buying big bags of candy and soda.

I'm not saying this was a good thing to say, but i can see where this guy is coming from. Most people buying candy bars are fat, and they start off as skinny young people.

I have no words. None. Just... wow.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    maybe he was joking/flirting/being friendly and it came out or was taken the wrong way by your friend?

I feel like this line of thought is rooted somewhere in sexism. It's not okay for boys to bully girls because they *like* them. You should treat people you like or are interested in better, not worse. Being flustered is one thing, but I can't imagine someone saying this if it wasn't really their opinion. It's rude and hurtful, and she is not overreacting by being upset by it...
    It's only hurtful if the person is irrationally oversensitive about their weight or eating habits.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I worked at a gas station when i was younger. It's actually a really sad job, because you spend the whole day serving addicts. The guy who could barely hand me money cause he was shaking so bad coming in to buy his 4th coffee of the day. The lady hacking out her lungs asking for a carton of Marlboro. The fat people coming in and buying big bags of candy and soda.

I'm not saying this was a good thing to say, but i can see where this guy is coming from. Most people buying candy bars are fat, and they start off as skinny young people.

Oh for pete's sake...
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    I always feel bad when I go to the gas station, I look at the people working there and think to myself "wow...that job must suck".

I'm really fortunate that I have a job that pays well because, you know, money.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I would reply with "No - are you trying to be a douche or does it just come naturally?"

^This LOL
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options

Definitely the most ridiculous thing I've seen on this site this week so far. Congratulations dude, that is pretty out there!
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    "Are you trying to get your teeth knocked out?" would have been my response. At least in my mind, that's the only place I'm truly a badass.
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options

man i cannot wait to see the responses to this
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I would have told him to go f@ck himself.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I think its some odd Bizzaro World form of flirting or at least socializing.
  • KarissaA
    KarissaA Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Most people buying candy bars are fat, and they start off as skinny young people.

Lol

<
    eats chocolate every day. Losing weight and fat. Getting older.

I'm eating a Russell Stover Egg while I read this. I've lost 22 pounds this year.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

I have no words. None. Just... wow.
    I counted 7.
  • youngdreamer
    youngdreamer Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It was incredibly rude, I agree. But, just to grant a bit of perspective... Was this person a foreigner? I was born & raised in America, but have been around plenty of them. In many other countries, it's not really considered rude to say things like that. A lot of remarks that would leave you gobsmacked here are actually voiced in quite the cavalier manner in other parts of the world. Korea being just one of them. It's possible that he didn't mean to get under your friend's skin as badly as he did.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    @$$holes are everywhere. That's why I work on my comeback wit responses so I can pull them out in case of emergencies.

"Maybe...are you 'trying' to be a *kitten*?!" *Walk off.

I'm not a B*tch everyday, just a responsive one. :)
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    It was incredibly rude, I agree. But, just to grant a bit of perspective... Was this person a foreigner? I was born & raised in America, but have been around plenty of them. In many other countries, it's not really considered rude to say things like that. A lot of remarks that would leave you gobsmacked here are actually voiced in quite the cavalier manner in other parts of the world. Korea being just one of them. It's possible that he didn't mean to get under your friend's skin as badly as he did.

Good point. Many years ago, I used to stop at this particular gas station on my way home from work. There was a guy there who clearly had a crush on me and not the best English. One time I bought a six pack of beer from him and that was his opening. From that day forward, every time I stopped in to buy anything he would say "no beer?" EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I don't think he ever realized how embarrassing it was!
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

:huh:
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I wonder whether certain "people" walking around are actually even human. I've just heard from a tiny size 8 friend that she went to the petrol station this morning, decided to get a Twirl chocolate bar and the guy behind the counter said to her "are you trying to get fat?"

...how is this in ANY WAY ACCEPTABLE!?!!!?!!!

Makes me so so mad. IT IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS WHAT PEOPLE ARE EATING OR NOT EATING!

Rant over.
    I think it is my business, but only because I've never heard of Twirl bars. Are they good?

Yup. Made by Cadbury, kind of like Flakes, but coated in chocolate so not as messy to eat.

Okay, now whats a "Flakes"?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

LOLin.
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options

I really wanted to *kitten* all over convenience store clerks, but reading your post reminded me of when I was a bartender, or all of the habitual drunks I have to remove on a daily basis from my transit system.

And on an even more personal level, it reminds me of going to Dunkin Donuts every day after work and getting a large iced coffee "light and sweet", and since it was after 4 I'd get a free donut (usually Bavarian Cream) to tide me over until I got home and I could make dinner.

Hell, just last week I realized that me from a year ago would laugh at me from today for what was in my Costco cart... but me from today would totally kick me from a year ago's *kitten*, without even breaking a sweat.

That being said, if a clerk said that to me, I'd probably make a comment about his mother's profession.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

yeah no.

just no.

yer wrong.

OP- wildly unacceptable- someone is seriously lacking social skills. That would have been open door for epic snarky douchebaggery to be handed right back.