Logging Accurately..step by step guide

Options

Replies

• abnadx
    abnadx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My only problems are when you eat at non-chain restaurants that don't have websites with detailed nutritional information or buy products that don't come with nutritional labels, like yummy yummy homemade burgers from my local butcher.

In these cases, I tend to search for the general item description (e.g. "deep fried chicken wings no batter" or "beef burger") and then browse a dozen or more options and see what kind of caloric spread there is and see if there is maybe a description that matches a little better or if there is what appears to be a fairly consistent value. And then I err on the side of caution and pick something with more calories than most.

Does anyone else have a better approach in these kinds of instances?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    abnadx wrote: »
    My only problems are when you eat at non-chain restaurants that don't have websites with detailed nutritional information or buy products that don't come with nutritional labels, like yummy yummy homemade burgers from my local butcher.

In these cases, I tend to search for the general item description (e.g. "deep fried chicken wings no batter" or "beef burger") and then browse a dozen or more options and see what kind of caloric spread there is and see if there is maybe a description that matches a little better or if there is what appears to be a fairly consistent value. And then I err on the side of caution and pick something with more calories than most.

I often eat at non chains. I give it my best guess typically based on knowledge of logging.

As for the burgers that should be easy...you know the grind (90/10 or 80/20) etc and the weight right?

Search for Ground beef USDA with the % in it
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Nice post. Too bad MFP won't let us go back and delete old entries--that would make it so much easier to ensure we are saving the correct ones.
  • californiajuls
    californiajuls Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Bump and thanks!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    abnadx wrote: »

I often eat at non chains. I give it my best guess typically based on knowledge of logging.

As for the burgers that should be easy...you know the grind (90/10 or 80/20) etc and the weight right?

Search for Ground beef USDA with the % in it

I look for recipes that are as similar as possible to what I eat at the ethnic places I love. I can tell when they have additional fats or sugars pretty easily. Then base my logging on the recipe with any additional add ons I think might have been in the meal. I am a regular at a Mexican place and happily make adjustments when I ask them to, like no added beans/onions/white tortillas.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Hasn't been bumped in a while.
  • ChristinBuss
    ChristinBuss Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Not everyone's food scale weighs in grams.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options

You should be able to change it to metric.

I occasionally accidentally change mine to imperial if I'm not paying attention and press the wrong button and then have to readjust it back to grams.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

but for those wishing to log accurately they do...

grams are the best way to measure as they are one of the smallest units.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options

Check your scale almost all the models for sale in the USA will switch to grams. If you don't have one that does they are super inexpensive on Amazon.
  • arizona1gal319
    arizona1gal319 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I still don't see where you can "edit". Will you please expound on this. Thx
  • stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Commenting to appear in "My Topics".
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I still don't see where you can "edit". Will you please expound on this. Thx

@arizona1gal319 when you click nutritional information and "no" to it being correct there is a choice to edit it if you want.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    I assume this is meant for people who aren't losing and keep asking why, but don't log their mayonnaise?
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Commenting to appear in "My Topics".
    @stephanne13 If you go to the Top of any Forum post ( PC not sure about Apps ) - above the Magnifying glass ( search feature ) on the right hand side is a STAR = Bookmark which will put it in your Bookmarked Posts so it's always easy to find.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    I assume this is meant for people who aren't losing and keep asking why, but don't log their mayonnaise?

nope this is for people who need help logging accurately and for those who are unaware of some of the features it allows for.

For example I saw an entry here for beef steak that had 46 calories and 120 grams of protein....so much wrong with that but some wouldn't be aware it was a user entered and not to use it....or that it can be changed or that you can add your own entries...etc.
  • cliiff
    cliiff Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    what does SS mean?
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    Don't mind me. Just bumping some threads for the holidays.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    Hello. Just giving this a fresh bump so more people see it.