Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Hump day, bump day.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    This time of year , this thread deserves another bump ! Lots of newcomers are not using food scales so this would be helpful to them !
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    @ejhankle here it is !!!
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • WCCmommy
    WCCmommy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • LoriReedy912
    LoriReedy912 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    @SezxyStef
    Thank you for the time it took you to write this post, very helpful, in deed! It explains some questions I've had about the logging of foods. I am new to Fitbit ChargeHR syncing to My Fitness Pal...this blog seems like be helpful for questions that will arise. Again, appreciate the helpfulness of this blog.
  • d14u2006
    d14u2006 Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I am having a hard time following any diet. I feel sometimes that I can't stop eating even if I am not hungry. Any suggestions? How can I curb my appetite?
  • Fiftyls2looz
    Fiftyls2looz Posts: 45 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I think MFP should change the format of the site so that your not bombarded with lots of different options. So for eg say - chicken breast, it should just be:

In grams only (forever eliminate cups)
    Pan fried, Deep Fried, baked, braised,boiled, stewed,grilled,steamed etc

THAT'S IT.

AND the same method with other foods like fruits, dairy etc. That would be so helpful.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I think MFP should change the format of the site so that your not bombarded with lots of different options. So for eg say - chicken breast, it should just be:

THAT'S IT.

AND the same method with other foods like fruits, dairy etc. That would be so helpful.

I agree...if users want their own entries let them but don't put it in the database for all to see...use USDA website to update the database.

If I could be guaranteed the only entries I would see were usda plus what I entered I would pay for premium.
  • mollieb76
    mollieb76 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    YES!!! Thank you!!! This is such great info for someone just becoming a faithful logger! :) Just one question...99% of the time I am logging on the AP...I don't think it has the confirmations...but it does have certain items with a green check. Are these items generally the most trustworthy?
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, great post! :smile:

The biggest gripe I have is the way some things will look in my diary. I use the barcode scanner A LOT. What bugs me is I will weigh out my 14g serving of Country Crock, and then when I scan it, it comes up as tbsp. So someone looking at my diary might think I'm not weighing my food. I have come across quite a few of those. I guess I just have to realize that I know I'm weighing, regardless of what others looking at my diary might think.

I change the measurement from 1 tbsp to 1g, then log the number of servings to X number of grams I used. I weigh butter/ peanut butter also.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Wow had no ideas this thread was this old! DERP!
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    This was very helpful. I had no idea that the user submitted verifications existed. Now I have another tool in determining if an item is accurate. Thanks for this useful post!
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options

THAT'S IT.

YES PLEASE. Pleeeeeeaaaaase. I waste so much time sifting through all the stupid wrong entries. And cups of things. This is my only, seriously, my only beef with MFP. Otherwise I am absolutely in love with this site.
  • kansascutie81
    kansascutie81 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing first of all, second what do you do to figure all the calories in a home cooked meal? For example say I was making homemade chili with canned chili beans,diced tomatoes and pinto beans and instead of ground beef I used ground turkey and chili season packet. Each canned item says serving size 1/2 cup but each ingredient has different nutrition facts and calories how do I figure the total calories or do I input every ingredient manually.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing first of all, second what do you do to figure all the calories in a home cooked meal? For example say I was making homemade chili with canned chili beans,diced tomatoes and pinto beans and instead of ground beef I used ground turkey and chili season packet. Each canned item says serving size 1/2 cup but each ingredient has different nutrition facts and calories how do I figure the total calories or do I input every ingredient manually.

There's a recipe builder you can use to create and log the number of servings you way of it
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    As @malibu927 indicated the recipe builder is great for home cooked meals.

I have over 10 pages of recipes myself. Anything from a marinade to a brownie bottomed cheesecake..

and if it's an online recipe it's even easier now to import it.
  • kevinmumenthaler
    kevinmumenthaler Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks OP. This is very helpful for beginners like me :)
  • qtbird33
    qtbird33 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

I have over 10 pages of recipes myself. Anything from a marinade to a brownie bottomed cheesecake..

I'm new to this tool and curious about using cooked vs raw ingredients in recipes. I often use multiple vegetables in one dish recipes.

It's simple to enter a total measurement for a veggie before it goes in the pot, but nearly impossible after cooking everything together, which is what im actually consuming....

So I'm measuring total completed recipe which is cooked and dividing into servings but using raw ingredient measurents. If that makes sense..

Any Ideas/thoughts about better methodology and how this is impacting the accuracy? Thanks!
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    qtbird33 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »

I'm new to this tool and curious about using cooked vs raw ingredients in recipes. I often use multiple vegetables in one dish recipes.

It's simple to enter a total measurement for a veggie before it goes in the pot, but nearly impossible after cooking everything together, which is what im actually consuming....

So I'm measuring total completed recipe which is cooked and dividing into servings but using raw ingredient measurents. If that makes sense..

Any Ideas/thoughts about better methodology and how this is impacting the accuracy? Thanks!

I do that as well.

I weight raw ingredients when I can...then weight cooking dish add in food, cook it reweigh subtract dish weight divide by # servings...can be a pain but worth it imo.