Does it matter what you eat?

Options

Replies

• ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Short answer...yes it does.

Long answer...if you want long term results then you need to be responsible about your food. If you want to lose weight and don't care if you gain it back, well, then eat whatever you want. It's all about how you fuel your body.

Yrur body works better with better fuel. Your body feels like crap if you live on crap food. Think about the person at work who eats garbage their whole life and when they go to the bathroom and you are already in the next stall, you don't want to be in there becasue you know they are going to blow it up with their stinky poops.

Sorry, that just came to me but it's pretty accurate.

and there goes the thread...

Sorry, should I not have mentioned "poop?"

lol its all good ..just having some fun ...

but are you saying that if I eat clean I will *kitten* clean?????

Well, it may be a nice color and uniform in size, but it will still be stinky. hahahah!
  • selfepidemic1
    selfepidemic1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does matter. If you ate 10 chocolate bars, your blood sugars would spike, causing insulin and fat to be stored.

You could eat a piece of salad for the same calories and you wont cause sugar spikes.
  • KiminNorCal
    KiminNorCal Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I find that the more whole foods I eat as opposed to processed foods, the more I lose. It is a mathematical game in terms of calories in/out, but your body metabolizes whole foods way easier, resulting in less storage. :~)
  • SPeffer1
    SPeffer1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I think overall it does. I think you can lose weight ( I KNOW you can) eating all junk food. My husband does it often (but does tend to gain it all back). I think that overall you can lose weight eating less calories than you burn.

I know that for me my body looks MUCH better when I'm choosing foods that have more nutritional value than if I'm choosing foods that are "junk food". I build more muscle (not body builder - just regular) and it seems to me that I keep at a lighter weight and a toner body eating primarily typically healthy foods and eating other things in moderation.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does matter. If you ate 10 chocolate bars, your blood sugars would spike, causing insulin and fat to be stored.

You could eat a piece of salad for the same calories and you wont cause sugar spikes.
    Actually insulin spikes. Fat is only stored if there's surplus. And if that salad had grapes or other high sugar fruit in it, it would cause insulin spike.

If I had to do some serious high intensity training, I pick the chocolate bar over the salad preworkout.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    It absolutely matters what you eat! If you eat a diet high in fruits and vegetables, you will have more energy, and feel better overall.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Does it matter what you eat as long as your under your calorie goal??
    Im so confused...
    And please no smartass replies...

In the hierarchy of things that are most important to weight loss, calories in/out would be overwhelmingly the largest factor. Proper nutrition runs a close second as good nutrition is just going to help your body run better, keep your hormones regulated, etc. Not to mention, proper nutrition is pretty essential to your overall health.

Does this mean that you can't eat anything besides celery sticks? Not at all...proper nutrition actually consists of all kinds of goodness, not just fruits and veg...you need fats and proteins as well. And hey...so long as you are meeting your nutritional requirements, a little ice cream for desert isn't going to hurt.

Rather than thinking in terms of "good" or "bad" think in terms of meeting your nutritional requirements...so long as you are doing that, there really is no harm in also enjoying yourself. My diet is highly nutritious, but I also enjoy beer, ice cream, the occasional candy bar, etc.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    It absolutely matters what you eat! If you eat a diet high in fruits and vegetables, you will have more energy, and feel better overall.
    Subjective. I feel great when I eat bacon.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ValGogo
    Options
    I relapsed today. I had a darn cinnamon raisin bagel. :sad:

I went for three days without one. I'm pissed.

If I stopped eating bread cold turkey...would I stop craving it after a while? Is it possible that I crave bread or is it in my head? I'm not talking Wonder Bread but bagels and crusty ciabbata and semolina and all that good shiz?

I know bread is merely simple starch which is sugar, so what can I do? I know I'm in control but sometimes I wonder......
  • ValGogo
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I have to agree on the bacon.
  • ddixon503
    ddixon503 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Im so confused...

"And no smartass replies..."

Damn (sulking away)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

1. Why would you eat 10 chocolate bars? One would probably be sufficient.
    2. That's a pretty massive piece of lettuce if it offers the same calories as 10 chocolate bars.

cutest-corgi-gifs-lettuce.gif
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Im so confused...

Some people feel that it does and others (like myself) feel that you can eat whatever you want in moderation(providing you have no health complications).

I can see where moderation can be hard for some people. Some people have trigger foods that lead them to binge. For people like this, it might be easier just to cut out certain foods.

Some people have medical issues that require them to cut out or limit certain types of food.

I personally don't rule out any food. I stick to my calorie guidelines (when I'm not pregnant at least) and I am slowly trying to figure out how to balance macro's. Balancing my macro's though, is more to do with overall health and not really important to actual weight loss for me. I mean there was a guy who lost weight on a "Twinkie Diet." It wasn't healthy, but he did lose weight.
  • shadow2soul
    Options

10 chocolate bars?!! Personally that would make me sick to my stomach. Although since switching to dark chocolate, a small square is usually all I need to satisfy a chocolate craving.

How about I eat a chicken salad and have a square of chocolate as desert? Although I still don't think that is going to come close to the calories in 10 chocolate bars.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I relapsed today. I had a darn cinnamon raisin bagel. :sad:

I went for three days without one. I'm pissed.

If I stopped eating bread cold turkey...would I stop craving it after a while? Is it possible that I crave bread or is it in my head? I'm not talking Wonder Bread but bagels and crusty ciabbata and semolina and all that good shiz?

I know bread is merely simple starch which is sugar, so what can I do? I know I'm in control but sometimes I wonder......

There is nothing inherently wrong with bread or your bagel...I have bread all of the time...it's fine.
  • marcellara
    marcellara Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Depends on who you ask....

But I believe it does not matter, you will lose weight.

Now do you want to just eat junk food your whole life? No .. that's probably not healthy. But as long as you have a balanced diet of fruits, veggies, protein, fiber, etc ... there is no reason to not eat ice cream, fast food, soda, etc.

It's all about moderation. You will still lose weight if you eat a bag of chips every day as long as you don't go over your calorie goal.

Yep......what she said :)
  • marcellara
    marcellara Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just ate a dill pickle rolled in kettle chip crumbs. It's effing delicious, and I highly recommend it to all of you.

Was it fried too? Sounds like it'd be excellent after a dip in the deep fryer.

No... but you're definitely onto something here.

Why that does sound delicious............I must try it :)
  • shadow2soul
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I have to agree on the bacon.

epic-meal-time-burger-115.jpg
  • Owl_Green
    Owl_Green Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    For me, it does matter. I can't lose as well if I have candy or junky stuff, even if I'm under my daily goal.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I just ate a dill pickle rolled in kettle chip crumbs. It's effing delicious, and I highly recommend it to all of you.

Was it fried too? Sounds like it'd be excellent after a dip in the deep fryer.

No... but you're definitely onto something here.

Why that does sound delicious............I must try it :)

You gotta take pickle slices, dip 'em in buttermilk corn meal batter and drop 'em the deep fryer.... so good.