I abandoned 1200 calories per day, and so should you

Options

Replies

• DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I really wish people would just post their experiences and leave it at that, rather than I did it and so should you.

This. At 5ft, 1700 cals is what I need to maintain my weight not to lose.

It's great that you found you can eat more and lose but it's not going to work for everyone.

That doesn't mean you need yo go right to 1200 from 1700. Start with a small deficit people.
  • MrsHollingsworthThomas
    Options
    How about agree to disagree - what works for some, doesn't work for others, and visa versa.

For some 1200 works, for others not so much. Age, lifestyle, what you eat (filling foods, or junk), and all sorts of things come into play.

I'm not going to condemn someone for eating more, or less than I do - do what works, when that stops working, change something. Other than that, to each their own.

I agree 100%.
    Do what works for you. What I'm realizing is that MFP is a 'starting point' for creating healthy habits. If you do some research, use the program for a bit, you might find adjustments or things that work better for YOU!
    It's good information for people who may NOT be losing using this method; it shows another person's experience (I think that's the POINT of the forums).. it lets people know to try things for themselves, do some research, and don't be afraid to make changes when something clearly isn't working for you.
  • maskedxhabitx
    maskedxhabitx Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your experience. 1200 calories is a good goal for me. I have a hard time getting that many calories in. I am also a university student and I'm 22 and 5'3" at about 157 lbs now. However, my experience is a bit different. I tend to skip meals and forget to eat a lot so it works as a good goal. I think that when and if I start strength training I will need to increase in order to build muscle.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your experience. 1200 calories is a good goal for me. I have a hard time getting that many calories in. I am also a university student and I'm 22 and 5'3" at about 157 lbs now. However, my experience is a bit different. I tend to skip meals and forget to eat a lot so it works as a good goal. I think that when and if I start strength training I will need to increase in order to build muscle.
    Yes, when you get to a point when you want to gain muscle, you actually will need to eat in a surplus, so over the amount of calories you need to maintain your weight.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

I agree 100%.
    Do what works for you. What I'm realizing is that MFP is a 'starting point' for creating healthy habits.

Or unhealthy ones, when the default starting point is 1,200 ;)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Strength training now will preserve the muscle you have. You will lose muscle in addition to fat any time you eat at a deficit unless you take in sufficient protein and do progressive resistance training.
  • 515513missy
    Options
    I know I am unable to stick to 1200 calories therefore I have not even tried!!! I am eating 1600 calories per day - I am 5ft7 and weigh 173 lbs. I have lost 16lbs already. I do workout up to 5 times per week.

I guess you have to find what works for you!! I would rather lose weight slower and have an allowance that allows me to have the odd treat. Otherwise I will fall off the wagon and end up bingeing which is not good!!!
  • judiebarroll
    Options
    I am 60 years old and have been active all my life teaching aerobics, cardio kick boxing and currently spinning to college students. I jumped up in weight by about 20 lbs over the last few years after I remarried. Being widowed and single I found it easy to stay on a healthy diet of high proteins, fruits and vegetables. Finally, at the start of Lent I gave up snacking with my husband after dinner. Then I found my fitness pal and started logging everything I ate and my exercise. With the heavy workouts I do I'm almost finding it difficult to reach my 1200 each day. Since March 5th I've lost 9 lbs. It's not just the 1200 calories it is the quality of the 1200 calories that matters too. You should be eating more protein, less carbs and sugars. Your body burns sugar and carbs first for energy. So, if you eat 1200 calories and it includes sugars, starches and carbs your body will burn that first before it ever touches the fat on your body. If you eat higher amounts of protein, which the body burns last, your body is forced into burning the fat on your body.
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I eat 10 100 calorie packs of cheetos a day, and so should you!
  • Beet_Girl
    Beet_Girl Posts: 102
    Options
    And then there's those people that say, "I know I should eat more than x amount of calories, but I'm not hungry and I can't force myself to eat!" If you can't eat more than 1200 calories, how did you get fat in the first place?!

THIS!!!

Actually, this has happened to me. It's because I was eating a lot of simple carbs and junk before, so I would get hungry faster than I do now on a diet with more fiber and protein. Also, healthy food just isn't all that appealing to me. When I'm wanting junk food, I come home knowing I should eat more, but nothing sounds good.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    And then there's those people that say, "I know I should eat more than x amount of calories, but I'm not hungry and I can't force myself to eat!" If you can't eat more than 1200 calories, how did you get fat in the first place?!

THIS!!!

Actually, this has happened to me. It's because I was eating a lot of simple carbs and junk before, so I would get hungry faster than I do now on a diet with more fiber and protein. Also, healthy food just isn't all that appealing to me. When I'm wanting junk food, I come home knowing I should eat more, but nothing sounds good.

Here are some options:
    Chicken with the skin
    Steak
    Cheese
    Whole eggs (including deviled eggs, egg salad)
    Full fat dairy (including cottage cheese, yogurt)
    Fruit,
    Peanut butter or other nut butters
    Nuts
    Avocado
    Dried fruit (raisins, apricots, apples)
    Dark chocolate
    Salmon
    Add Chia seeds to salads or yogurt
    Olive oil
    Smoothies
    Granola/sports nutrition bars
    Whole grains or whole grain products (like brown rice, Quinoa, oatmeal)

The thing is that your body NEEDS those calories. They aren't "junk" if you NEED them.
  • deksgrl
    Options

THIS!!!

Here are some options:
    Chicken with the skin
    Steak
    Cheese
    Fruit,
    Nuts
    Avocado
    Dark chocolate
    Salmon
    Olive oil
    Smoothies

The thing is that your body NEEDS those calories. They aren't "junk" if you NEED them.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • fatchix60
    Options
    I have been on 1200 calories a day for over a month now. No weight loss at all. I feel better and not so bloated but the weightloss is still as stubborn as can be. I exercise 3-4 times a week so I get to add in a few calories, but nothing. I eat very healthy, not a junk food eater at all, nothing fried, nothing bad for you. I do have a sweet tooth, but I stay away. The most I do is frozen yogurt 90 calories to curb the crave at night. I am 5.1", 180 lbs. come from a very large family and have struggled for 12 years now. I am afraid to go below 1200 just for health reasons so I don't and afraid to stop the dieting all together for fear I will gain more weight and won't be able to loose it. I recently joined Weight watchers at the 26 points range for two weeks now. Nothing!! There must be something in my daily routine consumption that is hindering all of my efforts! I am just at a loss, but I will keep trying.
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    These 1200 calorie posts always turn into a poo tornado dont they?
  • deksgrl
    Options
    I have been on 1200 calories a day for over a month now. No weight loss at all. I feel better and not so bloated but the weightloss is still as stubborn as can be. I exercise 3-4 times a week so I get to add in a few calories, but nothing. I eat very healthy, not a junk food eater at all, nothing fried, nothing bad for you. I do have a sweet tooth, but I stay away. The most I do is frozen yogurt 90 calories to curb the crave at night. I am 5.1", 180 lbs. come from a very large family and have struggled for 12 years now. I am afraid to go below 1200 just for health reasons so I don't and afraid to stop the dieting all together for fear I will gain more weight and won't be able to loose it. I recently joined Weight watchers at the 26 points range for two weeks now. Nothing!! There must be something in my daily routine consumption that is hindering all of my efforts! I am just at a loss, but I will keep trying.

Do you use a food scale and log everything accurately by weight?
  • Beet_Girl
    Beet_Girl Posts: 102
    Options

THIS!!!

Here are some options:
    Chicken with the skin
    Steak
    Cheese
    Fruit,
    Nuts
    Avocado
    Dark chocolate
    Salmon
    Olive oil
    Smoothies

I'd much rather have beer and tater tots lol
  • Nialuv24
    Nialuv24 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    What. Is BMR & TDEE ? How do you calculate it?
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I love reading about how people realized 1200 calories per day is ridiculous and is not the way to set yourself up for long-term success.

What I hate is when people comment on these threads with, "Well it works for me!" Of course it works - you're depriving your body of the calories it needs, so you're likely to lose weight. HOWEVER, if you CAN eat more and still lose, why the hell wouldn't you?

What annoys me about these 1200 calorie people is that they don't listen to reason, and they don't rely on simple math. Your BMR and TDEE are insanely useful numbers, and unless you're 3 feet tall, eating 1200 calories per day puts you at too much of a deficit.

+1
  • pepotchkiy
    pepotchkiy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I really wish people would just post their experiences and leave it at that, rather than I did it and so should you.

i agree. we can all learn from each others experiences.
  • graham713
    graham713 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I did 1,200 for the first month and lost 9 pounds, then put it up to 1,300 when I started exercising and now I am on1,500 to go slower.

I think you can lose weight on 1,200, it just depends on the persons activity and if they're able to cope with so little calorie intake. It depends on the person.

I completely agree with this. I started out at 1,200 and lost weight. But when I started working out 5 days a week I quickly realized I needed to up my calorie intake. Even though I was eating back my work out calories to hit that 1,200, I was miserable. I'm still losing weight but I feel better. If you try to fuel your body with 1,200 calories of junk food you aren't going to feel as good as if you consumed healthier food.