Barbell squats

Options
124»

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I do back and Zercher squats at the moment. The Zercher squats are in my training program (strong curves) but it seems like nobody does them. Are they a decent exercise?`
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    In to watch the conversation here. Good stuff
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i'll start out an exercise with a weight that i can do 10-12 (or more) and then tapper down to 3-6 ish by my third or fourth set.

thought this was typical in the 'bodybuilding' style of training.

I would say- in my humble opinion/experience/observations:
    reps are determined by your goals-
    the actual work out break down is typically BB or PL oriented- even powerlifters go through periodziation for hypertrophy (different rep range) and strength. (again different rep range).

I mix up between strength and hypertrophy….I would say past six months I was working in 4-6 rep range …about three weeks ago I switched p to more 8-10 rep range ….except for deadlifts and front squats…still working in five rep range on those….
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    They aren't really interchangeable. Totally different exercises. Front squats are primarily a quad exercise. Back squats recruit way more hamstring, glute, and lower back.

Front squats are great but need to be supplemented with some sort of ham/glute work.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Well this will probably start a *kitten* storm...but whatever, just my opinion from my experience. For those with flexibility issues and/or long limbs where regular barbell squats are just a complete disaster, Smith squats can be very effective - IF you move your feet forward. (Please for the love of protein and iron, notice the "IF you move your feet forward part" before you start grinding your teeth and frothing at the mouth)

Keeping your feet well in front of the bar allows you to maintain an upright posture throughout the ROM, and the lack of horizontal bar movement isn't an issue. It's also great if you want to isolate the quads and take the glutes and hams out of the equation because you can stop at or just above parallel, you get constant tension on the quads with little assistance from the posterior chain. Of course you can do that with a barbell too, but its easier to be consistent on the Smith. It's also much easier on the Smith with feet forward to vary foot placement to target specific parts of the quad, a narrow inside shoulder stance really hits the outer quads well.

If you can squat comfortably, completely disregard all of the above. But if you're like many that can't, maybe give it an honest try. Nothing to lose and you might find a way to train your legs effectively without some of the grief.

I do this. Back squats wreak havoc on my slipped discs and make it so I cant lift as heavy on back day. I get great isolation with smith squats and feet placed well in front of the bar.

Back squats also used to give me immense tearing pains, like a hernia almost, in my groin. Likely because of poor flexibility and other lifts tightening my muscles. I would literally be unable to lift legs or back for a week after each session.
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Both
  • miniimuscles
    miniimuscles Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I do both. Depending on your stance, angle of feet, distance of legs, you target differed muscle groups in your legs. I use less weight with front squats but I love them because it's a different balance challenge.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I do back squats as a main lift and use a Safety Squat Bar (SSB) as an accessory lift. Really love that SSB. And it's great for Good Mornings (GM's). With those 2 lifts plus my trap bar DL work from a deficit, that's all I need to go heavy for now.

Now back to your pundits.

Tom
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I do back and Zercher squats at the moment. The Zercher squats are in my training program (strong curves) but it seems like nobody does them. Are they a decent exercise?`

I've done them for years and love them but at the moment, the weight in my arms is aggravating my left shoulder. I've done them from standing, paused and heavy from pins.