Eating healthy, working out, but not seeing results?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP, you may want to double-check your numbers. I noticed a few discrepancies.

1. A box of Mac N Cheese is not 550 calories. I am assuming you are using the kind with the creamy cheese pouch since you said you couldn't eat the powdered stuff. I checked the nutritional information and it would more more like 1000+ calories.

2. What kind of chicken meal at McDonald's is 1500+ calories? I just stuffed myself on a grilled ranch BLT and a medium fries (yeah, I'm being naughty) . It came up to 820 calories and has about three times the volume of your can of green beans. If that is truly as much as your stomach can handle at a time, there is no way you were consuming more than 400-500 calories even of "bad" food.

3. Walking at 2 mph is not what most of us consider cardio. Honestly, I wouldn't even count it. I warm up between 3.5 and 4 mph. I think most of us thought you were doing some sort of intense workout for 4 hours a night. You are probably only burning about 200 calories an hour and that is including your BMR (what you would have burned even at rest).

A cup of Musselman's applesauce, which I believe you said was your breakfast, is 180 calories, according to the database.
    A box of Mac N Cheese, Velveeta brand, is about 1000 calories
    A can of green beans is 70 calories (every brand I checked).

So, assuming that is what you ate, you consumed 1250 calories, not including a dinner you may or may not have had for (what was it) 600 calories? We can see that you are consuming more than you thought and working out less than we thought. It does not sound to me like you have any medical anomaly. It sounds pretty normal.

There are TWO servings in a box of Kraft Mac N Cheese.
    Each serving is 290, prepared using whole milk.
    I use 2%. Factored the calorie difference, and it brought the calories down to roughly 550.
    It has powdered cheese, but doesn't effect me much. I really don't know the different types of cheese, since I don't eat much of it... but the type of powdered cheese that gets to me, is the cheese that comes with Chef Boyardee pizzas. The white-ish colored cheese.

A 10 piece McNugget, and a Small fry... sometimes a medium, but I never eat them all.
    I've already said that I don't eat the entire meal when I get it.

I walk faster than 2mph. I average between 3.5-4mph.
    I said that STARTING OUT, I used to walk 30 minute miles.
    I can't run them, because my driveway is uneven, and my mom took our treadmill when she moved out... and they're extremely expensive.
    And I've even said from the start what I was doing. If you chose to ignore it, then that's not my problem.
    I also do a few different dance videos. I switch them around.
    Once again... also stated.

And actually, I never said what brand of applesauce I was eating.
    I eat Motts, not Musselman's. I've never even heard of that brand, before.

Delmonte green beans has 20 calories per serving.
    Each can has 'about' 2 servings.

Uhhh... I've got Kraft and AS PREPARED it's over 400 calories if you follow directions step by step. It's not 290. 290 is unprepared.

just checked and one container is 1200 calories….
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Not meaning to sound rude, but there are two lines on Kraft nutrition info just so you know. No macaroni and cheese I eat, boxed or otherwise, per serving, is under 400 calories unless I use just butter which I sometimes do because my sister hates milk in mac'n'cheese because it "doesn't reheat well." But per instructions and added ingredients, it's at least 400 calories easy. so your still eating 800 cals from a box of mac'n'cheese.

As for the applesauce, do you have the sweetened or unsweetened kind? It makes a difference on calorie count, but 40-60 calories for a small serving sounds normal.
  • OkamiLavande
    Options

1. A box of Mac N Cheese is not 550 calories. I am assuming you are using the kind with the creamy cheese pouch since you said you couldn't eat the powdered stuff. I checked the nutritional information and it would more more like 1000+ calories.

2. What kind of chicken meal at McDonald's is 1500+ calories? I just stuffed myself on a grilled ranch BLT and a medium fries (yeah, I'm being naughty) . It came up to 820 calories and has about three times the volume of your can of green beans. If that is truly as much as your stomach can handle at a time, there is no way you were consuming more than 400-500 calories even of "bad" food.

3. Walking at 2 mph is not what most of us consider cardio. Honestly, I wouldn't even count it. I warm up between 3.5 and 4 mph. I think most of us thought you were doing some sort of intense workout for 4 hours a night. You are probably only burning about 200 calories an hour and that is including your BMR (what you would have burned even at rest).

A cup of Musselman's applesauce, which I believe you said was your breakfast, is 180 calories, according to the database.

So, assuming that is what you ate, you consumed 1250 calories, not including a dinner you may or may not have had for (what was it) 600 calories? We can see that you are consuming more than you thought and working out less than we thought. It does not sound to me like you have any medical anomaly. It sounds pretty normal.

I use 2%. Factored the calorie difference, and it brought the calories down to roughly 550.
    It has powdered cheese, but doesn't effect me much. I really don't know the different types of cheese, since I don't eat much of it... but the type of powdered cheese that gets to me, is the cheese that comes with Chef Boyardee pizzas. The white-ish colored cheese.

A 10 piece McNugget, and a Small fry... sometimes a medium, but I never eat them all.

I can't run them, because my driveway is uneven, and my mom took our treadmill when she moved out... and they're extremely expensive.
    And I've even said from the start what I was doing. If you chose to ignore it, then that's not my problem.

Uhhh... I've got Kraft and AS PREPARED it's over 400 calories if you follow directions step by step. It's not 290. 290 is unprepared.

I knew it was really high. My sister just bought some. I prefer the velveeta kind, but beggars can't be choosers. She's so damn picky. xD
  • kelsielecrone
    kelsielecrone Posts: 49 Member
    Options

Do you want me to take a picture for you guys?
    Because it doesn't say that on the boxes I have.
    Something tells me you need to look at the amount of servings in the box. It'll probably say 4.
    Mine only has 2.
  • kelsielecrone
    Options

Check the servings per box.
  • merrys73
    merrys73 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Do you get enough sleep? I think that is part of my issue, so more sleep! Shooting for about 8 hours.
  • OkamiLavande
    Options

Something tells me you need to look at the amount of servings in the box. It'll probably say 4.
    Mine only has 2.

No, mine has 2 servings, and as prepared it is 450 some odd calories. I can take a picture for you too if you'd like.
  • kelsielecrone
    Options
    Here is what the side of my Mac N Cheese says.
    2 servings.
    260 unprepared.
    290 (with whole milk) prepared.

http://i.imgur.com/SWnCcs2.jpg
  • kelsielecrone
    Options

Mine only has 2.

No, mine has 2 servings, and as prepared it is 450 some odd calories. I can take a picture for you too if you'd like.

Go ahead. I'd like to see it, because mine says 290.
  • princessnarmor
    princessnarmor Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You know, I have a lot of problems like this, only when I hit a wall, I end up getting discouraged and start eating again.

People can say what they want about it all being calories. Not according to my body.

#1 I think bread and wheat really are two big culprits for me. I think its all Genetically modified and my body doesn't like it. In fact I sneeze for about 20 minutes after I eat it. I do better with corn or rice or potatoes. But I still cannot eat more than a 1/2 cup to a cup a day of any of it.

I eat a high protein diet. When I say high protein, I dont' mean shakes. I grill chicken in about 20 different ways or bake it and eat a vegetables or cottage cheese. Our friends on WeightWishers.com (not sure if I can use the real name) have a 1 point soup that saves me when I'm still hungry after my 1200 calories.

I buy a vegetable bullion called "Better than bullion" in a jar and I just cut up all the veggies I like into it. Onions, celery, cabbage, cauliflower(which is what makes it filling). Add anything that isn't a starch and 1 serving is about 30 to 50 calories. Realize though, that the salt does cause a bit of water gain which should dissipate with the workout.

I weigh daily and I do not see any change in my weight if I eat wheat or sugar of any kind including fruit.

I don't really know how much the experts really know but I do better if I eat small meals several times a day. I do better if I make sure I eat 1200 calories a day and don't fall below that mark.

If I ate as many carbs as even this automated diary said to eat, I'd be gaining weight. I think some foods are off limits to some people. Listen to your body.
  • OkamiLavande
    Options
    21axtat.jpg

I feel like I've gone too far. This box has 6 servings because my sister is a hog, but as I said, as prepared is at least 400.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    http://www.kraftrecipes.com/assets/images/product/product_nutrition_facts_bot.gif

^ there you go straight from there website ..three container per box 400 calories per serving based on "prepared"
  • kelsielecrone
    Options
    21axtat.jpg

I feel like I've gone too far. This box has 6 servings because my sister is a hog, but as I said, as prepared is at least 400.

Like I said. It has more than 2 servings.
    But I've never seen a box with 6 servings before. Maybe it's just a regional thing?
    I know that the standard box used to have 4 servings, but they dropped it down to 2 sometime this past year... and charged more money.
    At least here, anyway.

How did you get the photo to post?
    I've tried everything, and it still just comes out as a link.
  • OkamiLavande
    Options
    21axtat.jpg

But I've never seen a box with 6 servings before. Maybe it's just a regional thing?
    I know that the standard box used to have 4 servings, but they dropped it down to 2 sometime this past year... and charged more money.
    At least here, anyway.

Ah, but you miss the point # of servings doth not equal calories per serving. Your box CANNOT possibly be made with whole milk due to the fat count, your fat count is like 1% so you have one that isn't supposed to be made with whole milk to begin with because your fats are way off.

You get the 6 serving boxes at places that are known for selling in bulk.

To get an image you have to find an image hosting sight, convert the IMG to img in the brackets and then post here. Real simple once you get it. It took me a few edits to get it right the first time. xD
  • princessnarmor
    princessnarmor Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I don't agree that cardio doesn't build muscle at all. Any type of exercise builds muscle. It's just how much muscle is it building. I used a stationery bicycle for 2 years and walked, never doing any type of weight training and I had the leanest toughest muscle in my legs.

I used to dance a lot (totally cardio) and I was 117 lbs at 33 years old after having 3 kids. My muscles were awesome. I didn't look like a ms. universe, but who really wants to?
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    OP, save the money you'd spend on a new dietitian and ask your doctor for referrals for BMR and/or RMR tests. Once you get that information, you will know what your body needs. If your body needs more than you think it does, you're measuring wrong or forgetting to log items. (Chronically guilty of this myself.) If your body is operating the way you believe it is, spend your money that you'd give a dietitian working with your family doc or specialists to see what to do about it.
  • OkamiLavande
    Options
    rbzgjk.jpg

I'm lightening the mood of this thread!
  • kelsielecrone
    Options
    21axtat.jpg

At least here, anyway.

Ah, but you miss the point # of servings doth not equal calories per serving. Your box CANNOT possibly be made with whole milk due to the fat count, your fat count is like 1% so you have one that isn't supposed to be made with whole milk to begin with because your fats are way off.

You get the 6 serving boxes at places that are known for selling in bulk.

To get an image you have to find an image hosting sight, convert the IMG to img in the brackets and then post here. Real simple once you get it. It took me a few edits to get it right the first time. xD

Fat count is 1%?
    Where exactly does it say that?
    From what I can see (and how I was told to read nutrition boxes), it has 8% fat... and 15% of that 8% is saturated fat.
    3% difference between prepared and unprepared.

So while I get your point about it not possibly being able to be made with whole milk, I do know that the majority of Mac N Cheeses I've made over the years has said (prepared with whole milk), and I never paid attention to the difference.
    That part is my fault... and I'll definitely be re-readjusting the calories.

Thanks. That'll save me from having to make 3 boxes at the next family cook out. lol

And thank you! haha
  • kelsielecrone
    Options
    rbzgjk.jpg

I'm lightening the mood of this thread!

And it worked.
    It had me laughing. lmao
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Tagging, because I'm bored tonight...