Eating healthy, working out, but not seeing results?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    21axtat.jpg

I feel like I've gone too far. This box has 6 servings because my sister is a hog, but as I said, as prepared is at least 400.

Like I said. It has more than 2 servings.
    But I've never seen a box with 6 servings before. Maybe it's just a regional thing?
    I know that the standard box used to have 4 servings, but they dropped it down to 2 sometime this past year... and charged more money.
    At least here, anyway.

How did you get the photo to post?
    I've tried everything, and it still just comes out as a link.

Ah, but you miss the point # of servings doth not equal calories per serving. Your box CANNOT possibly be made with whole milk due to the fat count, your fat count is like 1% so you have one that isn't supposed to be made with whole milk to begin with because your fats are way off.

You get the 6 serving boxes at places that are known for selling in bulk.

To get an image you have to find an image hosting sight, convert the IMG to img in the brackets and then post here. Real simple once you get it. It took me a few edits to get it right the first time. xD

Fat count is 1%?
    Where exactly does it say that?
    From what I can see (and how I was told to read nutrition boxes), it has 8% fat... and 15% of that 8% is saturated fat.
    3% difference between prepared and unprepared.

So while I get your point about it not possibly being able to be made with whole milk, I do know that the majority of Mac N Cheeses I've made over the years has said (prepared with whole milk), and I never paid attention to the difference.
    That part is my fault... and I'll definitely be re-readjusting the calories.

Thanks. That'll save me from having to make 3 boxes at the next family cook out. lol

And thank you! haha

No, I meant a milk of 1% fat. You can't get fat %s on your box from whole milk. Whole milk is usually ~3.75% fat, so it really ups the fat count. Your box has a relatively low fat count, so it is intended to not be made with whole milk, or has very different directions than any box of mac'n'cheese I've ever encountered. Maybe it is a regional thing.

Us Californian's are weird anyway.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Posting pic for OP since she is having trouble.

Her box:
    zrtSxy6.jpg
    OP, what brand is that? As others have said, no way that's for whole milk. Curious what the instructions actually are.

And, +1 to RMR testing. University physiology labs will usually do it cheap for you. If your metabolism really is "shot", then at least you'll know. I still vote for way overestimating calorie burns.

Edit to resize.
  • csontos
    csontos Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Posting pic for OP since she is having trouble.

Her box:
    zrtSxy6.jpg
    OP, what brand is that? As others have said, no way that's for whole milk. Curious what the instructions actually are.

And, +1 to RMR testing. University physiology labs will usually do it cheap for you. If your metabolism really is "shot", then at least you'll know. I still vote for way overestimating calorie burns.

Edit to resize.
    Just jumping in on this. When I used to eat boxed macaroni and cheese from Kraft, the spirals one is 290x2.
    http://www.youknowyouloveit.com/Products/BlueBox/spirals

Same with the fun shapes.
    http://www.youknowyouloveit.com/Products/BlueBox/spongebob

It's the normal boxes that are 400x3
    http://www.youknowyouloveit.com/Products/BlueBox/The-Cheesiest

And the family size that is 400x6
    http://www.youknowyouloveit.com/Products/BlueBox/family-size

Anyway, carry on. I just really like mac and cheese so I felt like commenting <3

Edit: I also want to say that the spirals and fun shapes say to use 2% milk, but I might be wrong.
  • midwestspitfire
    midwestspitfire Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Okay, I don't really have anything to contribute, but I did find this post about the Kraft macaroni discrepancies fascinating: http://www.brandysbigbargains.com/2011/01/when-companies-pull-fast-one.html
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

"The absolute minimum you should be eating is 1200. If you eat any less and persistently eat less at this amount, your body will start to think you're starving yourself and will therefore change so that it can retain as much fat in the body as possible as well as absorb as much fat from you do eat. (Example, notice how starving people in poorer countries always have a bloated looking belly?) "

Yeah, yeah I have noticed that. Do you know why that is? It certainly isn't because they are storing excess fat in their belly area because that is utterly riduclous. What a concept, starve yourself to get fatter. No, it is because they are starving to death so badly that their body has consumed their rectus and transverse abdominus muscle and it is no longer girdling in their interal organs which then literally spill down and forward pressing against the skin and distending the belly. It is a condition associated with severe protein deprivation and is most prevalent and noticeable in young children where the irritation causes edema (accumulation of fluid due to inflammation) which adds to the distention of the belly.

They are NOT retaining fat in their stomachs because they are startving to death, when you are starving your body does NOT decide to start storing away fat do you understand what a ludicrous statement that is? Did you seriously believe they were fat? Seriously, take the time to look at a picture of a starving child and mentally picture and understand that the reason their belly looks like that is because their body is so weakened and their muscle so reabsorbed that their organs are literally spilling out of them. Less cute now isn't it.

One of the best posts I've seen. Please post this everywhere someone comes out with that nonsense.

Sorry I work at a disease research institute that specializes in diseases that afflict the developing world and that sort of callous ignorance just rubs me the wrong way. Seriously...thought they were making themselves fat?

I wasn't being sarcastic! I totally meant that.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    OP, you may want to double-check your numbers. I noticed a few discrepancies.

1. A box of Mac N Cheese is not 550 calories. I am assuming you are using the kind with the creamy cheese pouch since you said you couldn't eat the powdered stuff. I checked the nutritional information and it would more more like 1000+ calories.

2. What kind of chicken meal at McDonald's is 1500+ calories? I just stuffed myself on a grilled ranch BLT and a medium fries (yeah, I'm being naughty) . It came up to 820 calories and has about three times the volume of your can of green beans. If that is truly as much as your stomach can handle at a time, there is no way you were consuming more than 400-500 calories even of "bad" food.

3. Walking at 2 mph is not what most of us consider cardio. Honestly, I wouldn't even count it. I warm up between 3.5 and 4 mph. I think most of us thought you were doing some sort of intense workout for 4 hours a night. You are probably only burning about 200 calories an hour and that is including your BMR (what you would have burned even at rest).

A cup of Musselman's applesauce, which I believe you said was your breakfast, is 180 calories, according to the database.
    A box of Mac N Cheese, Velveeta brand, is about 1000 calories
    A can of green beans is 70 calories (every brand I checked).

So, assuming that is what you ate, you consumed 1250 calories, not including a dinner you may or may not have had for (what was it) 600 calories? We can see that you are consuming more than you thought and working out less than we thought. It does not sound to me like you have any medical anomaly. It sounds pretty normal.

There are TWO servings in a box of Kraft Mac N Cheese.
    Each serving is 290, prepared using whole milk.
    I use 2%. Factored the calorie difference, and it brought the calories down to roughly 550.
    It has powdered cheese, but doesn't effect me much. I really don't know the different types of cheese, since I don't eat much of it... but the type of powdered cheese that gets to me, is the cheese that comes with Chef Boyardee pizzas. The white-ish colored cheese.

A 10 piece McNugget, and a Small fry... sometimes a medium, but I never eat them all.
    I've already said that I don't eat the entire meal when I get it.

I walk faster than 2mph. I average between 3.5-4mph.
    I said that STARTING OUT, I used to walk 30 minute miles.
    I can't run them, because my driveway is uneven, and my mom took our treadmill when she moved out... and they're extremely expensive.
    And I've even said from the start what I was doing. If you chose to ignore it, then that's not my problem.
    I also do a few different dance videos. I switch them around.
    Once again... also stated.

And actually, I never said what brand of applesauce I was eating.
    I eat Motts, not Musselman's. I've never even heard of that brand, before.

Delmonte fresh cut green beans used to have 30 calories per serving... but since switching to 'sea salt', they dropped their calories down to 20/serving.
    And yes. The "no salt added" cans STILL have salt in them. They have to to keep them preserved.
    Just not nearly as much as the regular ones.
    Each can has 'about' 2 servings.

That's a pretty nasty reply to someone who was trying to help you. Good luck in life with that attitude. I used Musselman's applesauce because it is a common brand, not because you said that's what you eat. Oh, and a 10 piece McNugget and small fry is still less than half of the 1500 calories you referenced. Good luck with that, too.