Help!!! With Green Cabbage!!!

Options
Loraluvs
Loraluvs Posts: 50 Member
I bought 2 Bountiful Baskets this week since the kids are out of school for Spring Break. I needed lots of fruits and vegetables. However each basket had 2 large heads of cabbage. What in the world am I going to do with 4 heads of cabbage. Open to ideas :laugh:

Replies

• Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    The good news is cabbage can sit in your vegetable drawer (or even a cool basement) for a long time--in the old days people would harvest a bunch of it in fall, keep it in the root cellar, and eat it all winter long.

Cut it into wedges, brush it with olive olive oil mixed with lemon juice and roast it at 400 for about 40 minutes. It'll be sweet and tender and golden brown at the edges. Even my husband likes it that way. Don't skimp on the olive oil--cabbage has very few calories on its own and the oil really adds to the yumminess of this dish.

Shred it up and add it to salad or stir-fries.

Stuffed cabbage? (I've never tried it myself and don't know what the calorie count would be.)
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Make home made sauerkraut or kimchi? Doubles as a science project for the kids... :wink:
  • Darcy011
    Darcy011 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Shred it in food processor with carrots use in coleslaw or mix with a protein like chicken or shrimp in a stir fry. One of my favs is spread some hummus on a large tortilla add a cup of the shred and some cooked chicken and you have very quick wrap for lunch.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I bought 2 Bountiful Baskets this week since the kids are out of school for Spring Break. I needed lots of fruits and vegetables. However each basket had 2 large heads of cabbage. What in the world am I going to do with 4 heads of cabbage. Open to ideas :laugh:
    When I was little I loved stuffed cabbage, still do. Mix some ground meat with rice and season it with whatever you like,you can also add an egg or two. Boil the cabbage and cook about half way. Stuff the leaves with the meat mixture and cover with tomato sauce, then bake for about an hour.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Make batches of cabbage rolls and freeze them.
    Make a big pot of cabbage soup and freeze in separate containers. You can add different meat like ground beef or chicken or lentils and curry powder after you take it out for variety if you want.
    Coleslaw.
  • novasunflower
    novasunflower Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I make a slaw that is very similar to this (I add sweet bell peppers and carrots) http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Spicy-Napa-Cabbage-Slaw-with-Cilantro-Dressing-243168 and serve it with either chipotle chicken or blackbeans. It's a great combo to make ahead for lunches. Just slice your cabbage very thin.
  • Loraluvs
    Loraluvs Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yum!!!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    My mom's Chinese method would be to shred fine, and stir fry with garlic, soy sauce and a tiny pinch of sugar.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Grate it, add salt and oregano and let it sit about a day.

Afterwards, use it in salads with oil, vinegar and other veggies. Light-years ahead of lettuce. Not sure how well it would work with vinaigrette though.
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    Not going to bother repeating some of the suggestions above, but another idea when you're to desperate to use it up: shred it and use it in place of recipes typically served over a bed of rice. Essentially turns every meal into a salad, but if you're making Indian or Asian dishes it's a refreshing take on the typical vinaigrette or ranch dressing salad.
  • Superpowered
    Superpowered Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm fond of this cabbage roll casserole recipe: way easier than making actual cabbage rolls, delicious, and it freezes well.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/01/kalyns-stuffed-cabbage-casserole.html
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Bump for good ideas
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    fired in some butter with some bacon :bigsmile: homemade eggrolls, soup, cabbage rolls, coleslaw, okay all of what everyone else says, so many uses.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I just bought a head today to put in my soups. Chicken broth, cabbage, onions, carrots, celery and herbs. So filling with tons of fiber. And so few calories.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Gotta love cabbage ! Bump
  • want2feelbetter
    want2feelbetter Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Corned beef and cabbage in the crock pot ... my favorite is paula deens recipe ; )
  • time4kim2014
    time4kim2014 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • last_time
    last_time Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Make Chinese for dinner! Cok up 1 lb of ground turkey ...set aside. Shred 1 cabbage head and sautee until it shrinks in size. Add back the ground turkey....in a small bowl: mix 1/4 cup of oyster sauce and 3 tbs soy sauce. Add to the sautee.... Then to thicken the sauce, mix 1 cup of water and 1 tbs corn starch...add to the sautee. Cook for a couple more minutes and Voila! Instant chinese. You can serve this over rice or noodles. The family will love it. Enjoy!
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    homemade sauerkraut, cabbage vegetable soup , cole slaw , lo mein with shredded cabbage, stuffed cabbage , steamed cabbage
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Try this, it is delicious! http://www.ziplist.com/souschef?url=http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/01/kalyns-stuffed-cabbage-casserole.html
    Kalyns Stuffed cabbage casserole from Skinnytaste.com
    I use 1-1/2 heads for it. Mmmmm enjoy :drinker: