Help!!! With Green Cabbage!!!

Replies

• daisyellow
    daisyellow Posts: 54 Member
    When you juice you take all the fiber out! It's just sugar water, not a magical elixir. Whole cabbage can be part of a healthy diet.

Edit: was supposed to be a reply to JustinAnimal's juicing comment above

This is the stuff I hate about MFP. Why don't I just juice YOU, daisyellow? Huh? I'm gonna kick your butt. Come at me!

You can't juice daisies; there isn't enough water. Way to think, thinker.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    When you juice you take all the fiber out! It's just sugar water, not a magical elixir. Whole cabbage can be part of a healthy diet.

Edit: was supposed to be a reply to JustinAnimal's juicing comment above

This is the stuff I hate about MFP. Why don't I just juice YOU, daisyellow? Huh? I'm gonna kick your butt. Come at me!

You can't juice daisies; there isn't enough water. Way to think, thinker.

There may be little juice, but the benefits are MAGICAL!
  • smwas
    smwas Posts: 2 Member
    I made Garlic Rubbed Cabbage Steaks twice this week already and it is SO good when followed exactly. (the first time I made it I used the garlic press left in on the cabbage, but it burned.) Follow the directions and you'll be happy.
    http://www.everydaymaven.com/2012/garlic-rubbed-roasted-cabbage-steaks/
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Sauteed cabbage!!!!! use your favie sautee veggies (snow peas, onions, whatever) and throw in the cabbage, and sautee until tender, and add spices, and ginger if you like. I eat it all the time. and it keeps in the fridge for a while. you can add a little tomato paste to the sautee process and make it a little moist. garlic, fennel seeds also go well with that. Also, you can finely chop it into a salad. I mean really finely chopped.
  • ebonaskavi
    ebonaskavi Posts: 42 Member
    This is easy, healthy, and CHEAP. I trim the fat off of my pork chops and use low or fat free sour cream or greek yogurt. I've also left the dairy out and it's still really good.

Pepper Pork and Veggie Skillet

2 tsp oil
    5 boneless pork chops, about 1" thick. You can also cut it up into chunks
    lots of fresh pepper
    1 head green cabbage
    1 onion chopped
    1 apple, peeled and chopped
    1/2 cup sour cream/greek yogurt

Heavily pepper both sides of your pork chops.

Heat the oil in a large skillet. Brown chops about 3 minutes on each side over med-high heat. Remove from skillet.

Add in chopped onion, apple, and cabbage to the same skillet (don't wipe it out!). Turn heat down to medium and stir for a few minutes. Cover and let it steam until cabbage is tender (about 10-15 minutes). Add the pork chops and any liquid from the chops back to the skillet. Recover for another 5 minutes. Remove the chops again. Stir the sour cream or greek yogurt into the cabbage mixture. Add salt to taste and serve.

This is a bit spicy from the pepper, so you can put less on if you like. I tend to like it spicy so I put on a lot!
  • bimpski
    bimpski Posts: 176 Member
    bumpity bump!
  • mercurywinks
    mercurywinks Posts: 104 Member
    Chop it up and fry it in the skillet with soy sauce or yakitori! Ahhh, so good. Cabbage is a common staple in many asian dishes, if you weat thai food thats actually one of the main vegetables they put in it. It can also be boiled with some meat, or on its own. You can steam it, stew it, saute it, even use it as a base in a casserol. Some people eat cabbage salads to. Good luck!
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    I love cabbage with cider and apple
  • KristenCook2
    KristenCook2 Posts: 57 Member
    Bump
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    I have 3 heads of cabbage, will have to try some of these ideas
  • gwayby
    gwayby Posts: 42 Member
    I love love love cabbage. My favorite all-time recipe is a citrus slaw that I put on either pork or fish tacos. It's basically a bunch of shredded green cabbage, diced jalapenos, lots of cilantro, and a citronette that consists of lime/lemon/orange juice (usually about a 60:30:10 ratio, respectively), extra-virgin olive-oil, a pinch of salt, and cumin. I always play around with the amounts. It also makes a great stand-alone slaw with some de-membraned orange slices in it.
  • gulfcoastnik
    gulfcoastnik Posts: 19 Member
    Wow so lucky to get the bountiful baskets!!!!
  • sassyfrass9
    sassyfrass9 Posts: 71 Member
    bump this stuff sounds delish!
  • priyamvada_k
    priyamvada_k Posts: 27 Member
    Can use in an omelette recipe. Finely shred cabbage, beat with eggs, salt, some turmeric or curry powder, and cayenne pepper, maybe some chopped cilantro. Make like a regular omelette.
  • kelleygi
    kelleygi Posts: 650 Member
    bumping for future ideas!
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    LOVE Cabbage!!! BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • DiabeticAlien
    DiabeticAlien Posts: 240 Member
    Chop cabbage, crisp up 6 slices of bacon, set aside. Cook cabbage in bacon grease until just tender, add 2 tblsp of soy sauce, cook until completely tender. Crumble bacon over cabbage and serve over rice. It's amazing!!
  • Oregano is really the magic seasoning for cabbage--of course, salt, pepper and vinegar are not be be overlooked. But whatever you do with your cabbage, add some oregano or even sage (or use a McCormick's Italian Seasonings mix, has lots of goodies) and it'll go a long way.
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Bump! LOVE me some tasty cabbage. I love it with smoky, salty meats; you don't need a lot of meat to get a wonderful flavor all through the cabbage. Om nom nom nom.

This is a good recipe with kielbasa: http://www.washingtonpost.com/pb/recipes/sauteed-cabbage-and-kielbasa/10350/

And I love this one with bacon and onion (it's called "fried", but it's actually sauteed): http://allrecipes.com/recipe/fried-cabbage-with-bacon-onion-and-garlic/
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    The possibilities are ENDLESS!

What I did this week (because I love corned beef and cabbage) was get a can of corned beef hash and I stir fried some onions, cabbage strips and corned beef hash.

Last week I took a package of chicken broth and added some water and cabbage to have boiled cabbage.

Mix it in soups.

Add it to salad for extra crunch.