Help!!! With Green Cabbage!!!

Options

Replies

• tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I like doing a curry with mine from Nom Nom Paleo. I also like a good vinager coleslaw.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Moo Shu chicken or shrimp. Chop it up really small and saute it with garlic and mushrooms. Add soy sauce, a little vegetable broth and chili sauce. Thicken with corn starch if needed. Add cooked chicken or shrimp and scramble egg. Yummy!
  • Loraluvs
    Loraluvs Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    These are all great ideas :love:
  • amylb0822
    amylb0822 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I love to rough cut cabbage, finely chop some red onion and carrots and steam the whole mess.... then add salt and some Siracha and yumm yumm yumm
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    cut each head in half and then half again.

you will now have 8 wedges of cabbage. enough for a salad for lunch and dinner for the next four days.

i like mine:

-with equal amount of iceberg both shredded with lemon salt pepper and cilantro
    -with honey mustard dressing bacon and tomatoes
    -with avocado spicy dressing and whatever veggie's around
    -on a corn tortilla with some kind of salsa and carne asada. (this could be topped onto the cabbage as a salad sans tortilla)
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    use one fresh this week and you could core and freeze the other for when you make cabbage rolls (if you make those) freezing cabbage before making cabbage rolls makes it a lot easier to roll them.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Core then chop cabbage.Either fry 1-2 slices of bacon or put a Tbl of oil in skillet. Add cabbage & sliced onion.Cover,cook on low till cabbage starts to brown,stirring often. Add smoked sausage cut in coins,1 Tbl rice vinegar & S& P to taste.Cook 15-20 mins.Correct seasoning. Serve.....my DH likes it with mustard on a roll.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I always get at least 6 different uses out of a single head of cabbage-- fortunately it keeps a long time!! My favorite uses are Cook's Illustrated Hearty Minestrone, Asian-style salads, and as a topping for fish tacos. I also throw it into stir fries along with other things.
  • lindzgayle
    lindzgayle Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Chop it up and sautee with cut up bacon, for about a half hour. Delicious!

Also, Rachel Ray has a recipe called "Stuffed Cabbage Stoup." Very flavorful and easy to prepare.
  • Renneke
    Renneke Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My favorite cabbage recipes are:
    Shredded and fried in sesame oil, topped with toasted sesame seeds
    Shredded and fried in olive oil.
    Martha's Cabbage stew, which is a ground beef, kidney bean, cabbage stew recipe that was in American Profile years ago:
    Ingredients:
    1 pound ground beef
    3 medium onions, finely chopped
    1/2 head cabbage, shredded
    4 stalks celery, chopped
    1 quart tomatoes
    1 (40 1/2-ounce) can kidney beans
    1 cup water
    1 tablespoon sugar (or to taste)
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    3/4 teaspoon each garlic powder, soy sauce and vinegar

Instructions
    1. Brown beef in large heavy pot or skillet.
    2. Add onions, celery, and cabbage. Cook and stir until cabbage is light brown (glassy looking).
    3. Add remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling.
    4. Reduce heat and simmer 30 to 45 minutes.

You can also shred cabbage and use it in place of lettuce on tacos.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com has a great stuffed cabbage casserole recipe. Infact, I have a cabbage getting old in my fridge...I just might make it this week myself :-)

Also, I've been meaning to try making cabbage steaks or wedges...I saw someone else mentioned a similar idea. Slice it in wedges or big round slices (steaks) and brush with olive oil, season and bake. Would make a great side dish. One recipe I saw even had bacon crumbles on it. Yum yum.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    WE make fish taco salads. Instead of tortillas, just use a cabbage salad base and put baked tilapia or sometjhing like that on top.

For the salad, which is more like a mexican cole slaw, we shred the cabbage. Stir in some plain yogurt with diced chipotle peppers for a low cal dressing that is spicy and awesome. From there, mix in or put on top whatever you like (tomatoes, salsa, cheese, tortilla chips, black beans, kidney beans, diced bell pepper, diced onion, green onion, avocado, carrot, grilled fajita-style veggies, etc.).

Sorry for the long explanation, but that might be my favorite use of cabbage. We also juice cabbage when we make our juice blends, but that'd be inviting everyone to tell me I'm an idiot who drinks juice because of its magical powers and I use it to cleanse and fast and it's going to cure my cancer magically with magic and magic faeries who know magic...
  • sunnyeuphoria
    sunnyeuphoria Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I use shredded cabbage in stir fry along with green onion, green pepper, mushrooms, and garlic. I add whatever meat we have on hand, I like it best with beef or chicken. I boil cabbage with country ham and serve as is. I cut cabbage into 1" thick steaks and rub both sides with olive oil, garlic, and salt and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes on each side. I also add shredded cabbage to stuffed pepper mixture... it tastes a lot like a cabbage roll. Its great in vegetable soup, or to make cole slaw and add onto burgers for some extra crunch.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I love raw cabbage. It is great on tacos in place of lettuce. Or, I like to mix it in with my lettuce salads for just another fresh crunch.
  • daisyellow
    daisyellow Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    When you juice you take all the fiber out! It's just sugar water, not a magical elixir. Whole cabbage can be part of a healthy diet.

Edit: was supposed to be a reply to JustinAnimal's juicing comment above
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Just remembered a couple more favorites:

Japanese vegetable pancakes
    http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2013/05/japanese-cabbage-and-vegetable-pancakes/

As a filling for homemade potstickers.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    When you juice you take all the fiber out! It's just sugar water, not a magical elixir. Whole cabbage can be part of a healthy diet.

Edit: was supposed to be a reply to JustinAnimal's juicing comment above

This is the stuff I hate about MFP. Why don't I just juice YOU, daisyellow? Huh? I'm gonna kick your butt. Come at me!
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I sautee mine in bacon grease with the fried bacon, onions, and garlic. Will be doing this tomorrow, as a matter of fact.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    stuffed cabbage, roast it with balsamic vinegar and garlic or olive oil and salt, corned beef and cabbage, cole slaw, using it on fish tacos like someone above me said