Are canned vegetables, tuna and instant rice ok to eat?

Options
124»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I avoid canned foods where possible since the cans are lined with BPAs which mimics estrogen.

Buy a small rice cooker / steamer for $10. You can add frozen vegetables to cook with the rice and it's ready in 20 minutes.

Even less expensive, learn to cook rice in a pot on the stove. It is quite easy!

I did that for years- bought a rice cooker and never looked back- it's worth the extra 30 bucks to have in your house.

I can only imagine how convenient my life would be if I added all the "only 30 bucks" items to my kitchen. *sigh*

I have a stand mixer and an electric griddle/skillet. Oh, and a death box! (aka microwave) That's about it. My next item will be a food processor. Rice cooker is on my list, to be sure, but when every penny counts, it's a luxury item.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I can only imagine how convenient my life would be if I added all the "only 30 bucks" items to my kitchen. *sigh*

I have a stand mixer and an electric griddle/skillet. Oh, and a death box! (aka microwave) That's about it. My next item will be a food processor. Rice cooker is on my list, to be sure, but when every penny counts, it's a luxury item.

Indeed. I don't have a mixer- or an electric griddle- have a full gas range and double oven (came with the house PRAISE BABY JESUS!!!)

I have sewing needs, serger and dress form trump food processor- I eat very "basic" foods so it's not a crisis- but I tried to make a "marinade" this morning- using a regular old blender- I got a nice paste- but not a marinade LOL. Would love to have a food processor too. But I have found- I use that type of thing for specality things- but not regularly- coffee pot and crock pot get used the most of my all my kitchen appliances.

I lived quiet comfortably without the microwave for 3 months now- till my BF brought it up from down stairs (I moved in December and all non- essentials stayed down there till I got setttled) I am okay without the nuke- but it is a nice feature. Might put it away in one of my big closest and just pull it when I MUST have it- it takes up a lot of counter space. Rice cooker is small enough- but I really only use it 3-4 months out of the year- so it's definitely a NONE essential.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I avoid canned foods where possible since the cans are lined with BPAs which mimics estrogen.

Buy a small rice cooker / steamer for $10. You can add frozen vegetables to cook with the rice and it's ready in 20 minutes.

Even less expensive, learn to cook rice in a pot on the stove. It is quite easy!

I did that for years- bought a rice cooker and never looked back- it's worth the extra 30 bucks to have in your house.

I did it the other way around. After failed attempts at cooking rice on the stovetop and in the microwave oven, I bought a rice cooker. I even replaced the rice cooker when it quit. Finally, I took the time to learn how to cook rice on the stovetop and haven't looked back.
  • JoRocka
    Options

I did it the other way around. After failed attempts at cooking rice on the stovetop and in the microwave oven, I bought a rice cooker. I even replaced the rice cooker when it quit. Finally, I took the time to learn how to cook rice on the stovetop and haven't looked back.

Jo burned 9/10... after 2 years of drying- I wasted at least a cup of rice on the bottom every time- so yeah- I gave up.

OH PS- coconut milk+ yellow raisins in your rice when cooking is AMAZING.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree w/ cindiannmerce - .. I've been working with a nutritionist and personal trainer and they both said w/ Cindi said. NEVER EAT RICE - too many carbs; not even brown rice. Stick w/ fruits, protein, nuts. Then do NOT do cardio as you will "lose" muscle... look at marathon runners, they are bone thin. When my personal trainer told me that, I was shocked. But, it's the truth. He never did cardio and he is buffed. If you want to bulk up... you need to Weight Train. The end.

"...and he is buff..." <
    The very definition of BRO-science...

he is buffed.

I want to be buffed- might help my back and hip mobility issues actually!!

I once had a super-buff personal trainer. I asked him what his routine was. He looked guilty and told me that it was essentially genetic. He got enough protein and watched his calories but he didn't really do any lifting outside of his job.

Maybe that's something to try?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Jo burned 9/10... after 2 years of drying- I wasted at least a cup of rice on the bottom every time- so yeah- I gave up.

OH PS- coconut milk+ yellow raisins in your rice when cooking is AMAZING.

Substituting chicken broth for water in brown rice is pretty incredible too.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I once had a super-buff personal trainer. I asked him what his routine was. He looked guilty and told me that it was essentially genetic. He got enough protein and watched his calories but he didn't really do any lifting outside of his job.

Maybe that's something to try?

no i want to buffed- not buff. being buff is for dudes!!!

;)
    Substituting chicken broth for water in brown rice is pretty incredible too.
    have heard that- need to try it- on a cut now- so my rice intake will be zero- maybe in a few months!