Stupid Gym

Options

Replies

• jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    well if you're going to participate in the Game of Thrones version of fitness, be prepared for the war, not just the battle

giphy.gif \m/
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to lose weight? Why do you want to get healthy? If you're working hard to get your name on some board - go for it. If you really are trying to get healthy - why on earth (as an adult) do you care?
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    And what would have happened if they had waited until the 31st - and you still didn't make it on the board?

I suspect same style thread with a slightly different take on how it's not fair. :noway:
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    well if you're going to participate in the Game of Thrones version of fitness, be prepared for the war, not just the battle

giphy.gif \m/

Sansa_S2_animation.gif
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    so, let me get this straight.... you're upset, because someone got healthy, because she was bored? Seriously?!? Who cares WHY people do it, so long as they are doing it. Focus on YOU and don't worry about anyone else.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options

giphy.gif \m/

Sansa_S2_animation.gif
    get in there and

giphy.gif

your competition \m/
  • SexKittenlovesitrough
    Options
    so, let me get this straight.... you're upset, because someone got healthy, because she was bored? Seriously?!? Who cares WHY people do it, so long as they are doing it. Focus on YOU and don't worry about anyone else.

This...exactly this...well and the Game of Thrones reference too...

but why does someone else doing it because they are bored in ANY way affect you...

seriously?!!?

So for example...

John is a bowler because John wants to compete professionally at bowling and someday win a title...

he overhears Fred talking about how he took up bowling because he's bored.

john THEN runs home, cries all night and eats ALL the food in the house because he's SO UPSET that fred doesn't have his level of dedication...

what would you tell John? that he's right to be offended? That he's in his right mind to be upset?

HELL NO...you'd tell him that not everyone is there for the same reasons he is...and not everyone has the same motivators he does, but that it DOESN'T matter what their motivations are...

he still does his best because his goals are lofty and he needs to work at them...

Jeebus...get back in there...and start working hard....I can't even believe you let another person affect your goals because you eavesdropped on her conversation...

that's seriously silly.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

but why does someone else doing it because they are bored in ANY way affect you...

seriously?!!?

So for example...

John is a bowler because John wants to compete professionally at bowling and someday win a title...

john THEN runs home, cries all night and eats ALL the food in the house because he's SO UPSET that fred doesn't have his level of dedication...

what would you tell John? that he's right to be offended? That he's in his right mind to be upset?

HELL NO...you'd tell him that not everyone is there for the same reasons he is...and not everyone has the same motivators he does, but that it DOESN'T matter what their motivations are...

he still does his best because his goals are lofty and he needs to work at them...

Jeebus...get back in there...and start working hard....I can't even believe you let another person affect your goals because you eavesdropped on her conversation...

that's seriously silly.

I think you may have misread the OP. The gym employee updated the board early because she was bored. This woman is getting upset because someone showed some initiative in their job. Just as bad.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

No, I think she's saying that the woman updated the board early because she was bored. And she's upset that by updating the board early, the woman broke the rules of engagement about the board.

But, I do agree with you.

OP - there will be many moments in your journey when you feel discouraged or unmotivated. You simply can't blame those moments on others. You have to be responsible for yourself. What if you hadn't won that month, anyway? Would all your work have been for nothing?
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what the problem is. I don't understand how her feeling got hurt or how they were insensitive to her feelings in particular. I read the post twice. Someone please take me to a corner and explain this to me as if I was 5....I want to understand...and I'm not attacking....I'm for real.

I'm seeeeerious!
  • SexKittenlovesitrough
    Options

seriously?!!?

So for example...

that's seriously silly.

I think you may have misread the OP. The gym employee updated the board early because she was bored. This woman is getting upset because someone showed some initiative in their job. Just as bad.

oops. I did ...but that doesn't really change anything...

another person's boredom, whether it's at their job or as a fellow gym goer shouldn't affect your own reality...

it just shouldn't....

Here's a better example however:

I'm in a biggest loser clinic at work. The girl that organized it, started the challenge a whole 10 days with her friends, before opening the clinic to the rest of the employees. Her explanation was that she didn't think it would be that popular.

I shrugged...whether she and her friends got a 10 day head start doesn't matter. I'm doing my best, working my hardest and doing it for me.

And if I keep my head down and my goals on track I can still beat everyone...but the only thing I can affect is my performance. No one elses.
  • staceybeee
    staceybeee Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Just to put it out there again, (not making excuses) but I overheard the Gym Employee saying she was bored that was why she was doing the board early... I wasn't upset because another gym member was working out because she was bored. Yes, that is and would be really really stupid.

I appreciate everyone's comments from the kind and encouraging to the not so kind but also very motivating comments.

I am new to this and am really trying for myself to get healthy and ultimately lose weight. I put emphasis on the board, like I do group challenges and like I do when I post on community boards like this to keep up my motivation. I get that it may sound silly or immature to some, but it was some of what was pushing me this month.

I'm back on track today with eating, I plan on going to the gym and discussing rationally how it affected me and I am going to keep on going for myself.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    Wait... what?!? :noway:

You threw in the towel, because you didn't get your name on some board?!?!

yeah.

that's a big fat get over it.

we aren't in 5th grade any more- they work the gym- they can do whatever they want whenever they want.

Not sure how your fabulous progress is affected by your name on a board. make your own board at home.

Personally I think it's insulting and insipid to have a queen/princess themed board at a grown *kitten* woman's gym. But that's me personally- I would say keep working and move on- they are going to look at you like you are crazy if you flip out about this.

Word
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    I don't understand what the problem is. I don't understand how her feeling got hurt or how they were insensitive to her feelings in particular. I read the post twice. Someone please take me to a corner and explain this to me as if I was 5....I want to understand...and I'm not attacking....I'm for real.

I'm seeeeerious!

You didn't miss the problem - there was no problem.
  • ValGogo
    Options

I'm seeeeerious!

You didn't miss the problem - there was no problem.

Ahhhhh, thank you. That's what I thought.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Just to put it out there again, (not making excuses) but I overheard the Gym Employee saying she was bored that was why she was doing the board early... I wasn't upset because another gym member was working out because she was bored. Yes, that is and would be really really stupid.

I appreciate everyone's comments from the kind and encouraging to the not so kind but also very motivating comments.

I am new to this and am really trying for myself to get healthy and ultimately lose weight. I put emphasis on the board, like I do group challenges and like I do when I post on community boards like this to keep up my motivation. I get that it may sound silly or immature to some, but it was some of what was pushing me this month.

I'm back on track today with eating, I plan on going to the gym and discussing rationally how it affected me and I am going to keep on going for myself.

Following the challenge isn't silly or immature - your reaction to the early board change was.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options

No, I think she's saying that the woman updated the board early because she was bored. And she's upset that by updating the board early, the woman broke the rules of engagement about the board.

But, I do agree with you.

OP - there will be many moments in your journey when you feel discouraged or unmotivated. You simply can't blame those moments on others. You have to be responsible for yourself. What if you hadn't won that month, anyway? Would all your work have been for nothing?

ok, I did misread it, but I do still stand by what I said. It shouldn't be about a competition with others. It should be about doing this for ourselves to make ourselves healthy and happy, not to win some silly competition that in the end doesn't even matter.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Okay OP second suggestion on the off chance you are bound by a contract or don't want to otherwise leave that gym.

Get some girlfriends together who are also sick of that b!tch and wear these around the gym on the day she gets her queen or princess award.

http://www.partycity.com/product/mini+tiara+combs+12ct.do
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Another thing you might try doing is making a list of all the things you would like to be able to do as you increase your fitness. We call this PRs (personal records) in CrossFit, but you can do something similar. Then, when you can do a certain element say, a pushup or running a mile, you can check it off your list. If you really want to go all out, you can even suggest to your gym that they start a PR board? Or a goals board? That way, everyone who has done something special can write themselves up for it. And it doesn't have stupid name like "Queen" or "Princess."
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrOigEK9d-EDi2IDhwVxQAtrAYnSItIbkB41GtVrmDsksqdMyypQ
    potato-hat-1.jpg

it's about potatoes