Bringing Dog to Gym

Options
I've been bringing my dog to the gym but it's not allowed :'( and they've threatened to end my membership. It's kind of hard for me to not bring my dog, because I was sexually assaulted 2 weeks ago and I don't really feel safe going out without the dog, I mean I could do it but it would be very very difficult and I probably would end up not going but I really need to go because I feel bad about my weight. At the same time if they end it I could potentially shop around for another gym. There's one I have in mind that includes a pool. At the same time this gym I'm at has Les Mills body pump classes and I know that helps to lose weight. Thoughts?

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    get the dog registered as a therapy dog
  • MayaDyra
    MayaDyra Posts: 90
    Options
    Can I do that for a beagle?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If it is against the rules, it is against the rules. I would end my membership in a gym that allowed pets, I have allergies. My daughter is terrified of dogs and she would panic if someone showed up at the gym with a pet. Find a place where the dog is welcome, which means that it will not be also an unpleasant surprised for other members.
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I know a girl who has her dog registered as a service animal. They cannot refuse service or entry to any business or establishment if the dog can pass the registry tests.

Edit: I'm so sorry to hear about your sexual assault as well. I hope you are coping well and getting the help you need, as well as serving justice to the person who has done this to you.
  • Jen800
    Options
    Can I do that for a beagle?

You can do it for any dog. It isn't a "protection" dog, it's a dog to help you feel calm and relaxed. You could register a chihuahua or a great dane :)
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I would definitely do what others have suggested and register your dog as an emotional support animal. Apparently it's quite easy to do, you just have to pay a small fee, and once you do it you can't be denied entry to places and landlords can't refuse to rent to you because of your dog either.

I'm sorry about your traumatic experience also... I'm glad your canine friend can help you feel safe.
  • MayaDyra
    Options
    Wow thank you for the supportive comments (I've had 2 sessions with a therapist)....I like that I could register it was an emotional support dog. So, how does this usually work? Do you go through a government agency or your vet? I live in Taiwan, but I'd like to get an idea...of how it generally works.
  • Jen800
    Options
    Wow thank you for the supportive comments (I've had 2 sessions with a therapist)....I like that I could register it was an emotional support dog. So, how does this usually work? Do you go through a government agency or your vet? I live in Taiwan, but I'd like to get an idea...of how it generally works.

Try typing the key words into google, such as

"Emotional support dog registry taiwan" or your specific area. It should link you to a place that does it near your home.
  • robinerikson
    Options
    I never tried bringing my dog to the gym but I know people who, just like what other people have already said here, registered their dogs as therapy or something.
  • ElizabethElane
    ElizabethElane Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    That's understandable. Having your dog with you feels safe...why don't you try going with a friend?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    There was a woman I know who brought her service dogs in- she trained them for that work- and she had permission from the gym- it was a none issue- she came in- did a half *kitten* workout to work with the dog- took the dog home and came back and actually worked out.

Worked out fine.
  • MayaDyra
    Options
    I haven't found anything by searching that. Sigh I guess I'll just tie up my dog outside or something :'( Last time one of the staff tied my dog really far as a joke and I asked them and the people at the front desk were laughing at me and they said it must have run away. I left the gym and was ready to file a report about the dog being gone but I went back into the gym to use the bathroom and the guy finally told me he tied it at the back of the building :/ Sigh. They don't understand.

I'm not not real or pulling anyone's leg. I just joined today and I would like to be able to talk about what is sincerely on my mind re: fitness and my body image without fearing that people will say I'm not sincere. I do have a very negative body image now and I'm very sensitive after Kazik ended our friendship at a very bad time for me. Thanks for all the supportive and kind comments though <3
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    your poor dog. please dont bring him to the gym if you are going to leave him outside for anyone to abuse him.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I'm probably going to sound like a huge b here but I'm gonna be real... I was sexually assaulted. I didn't leave the house for weeks until I started working out. Even after I started leaving the house, I would have flashbacks standing at the bus stop. Bringing your dog is against the rules of your gym and it's that way for a reason. Also as a owner of two dogs, I think it is neglectful as a owner to leave your dog outside while you work out at the gym. Try to find a friend or maybe a super nice staff member who will walk with you to your car or bus stop.

Edit to say that I'm also really sorry this happened to you. I know it's not easy but know you are not alone. Are you seeing a counsellor or therapist? They can help you talk your feelings/fears out such as not being able to walk alone without your dog.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    ^agreed.

I'm sorry hun but you need more than a dog right now. You need a friend and some family and some therapy.

Breaking the rules isn't the way to go right now. They are there for a reason. I'm also a little concerned about how you are being treated at your gym? Try to get someone to talk to so that you may try to act in a manner more rational and consistent with social mores so that your recent assault does not put you in the position to be victimized further.

Please do not think of yourself as "deserving" special treatment or rules to be broken no matter how much you feel you need it right now. That is a victim mentality and is not the direction you want to go. Take steps toward feeling your empowerment again and following the rules and blending in with society is one step in the right direction.

I'm a little taken aback that people register their dogs for reasons other than physical, blindness, or something the seems more relevant to what a dog can help with. Now I know how all these mofo's where I live are calling there dogs service dogs. I recently had a lady on a cane telling me her 3 legged six inch high pug was a service dog? Umm sersly HOW does that little thing HELP you walk, it looks more like something you might trip over and I am concerned for BOTH your safety.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I doubt any gym will allow your dog unless it's a service animal, so switching gyms would probably be pointless. You'll just be in the same situation. I worked in commercial aviation for a number of years and I believe your dog could qualify as an emotional support pet, which is kind of like a service animal. They aren't usually trained to assist you with anything. I don't think the breed matters for service animals or emotional support animals, but I'm not sure your dog would be categorized as a service animal as it isn't trained to perform any tasks for you. With emotional support animals, the user was supposed to have documentation from a licensed mental health professional under who's care the person has been in at least sometime within a year. The documentation was supposed to sight that the animal is part of your care and required for your mental health. I'm not suggesting you have an mental illness or anything, but if you were recently assaulted I would think you may be working with a mental health professional to work through the aftermath of that.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    First of all, I am very sorry for your situation and hope that you can get some peace.

People bring their dogs to CrossFit and I am allergic to dogs. The dander stays on the mats and in the air. I had an allergy attack and a bloody nose that lasted 18 hours after a recent hard workout.

I have been assaulted and I have guns that make me feel more comfortable but I don't take them in the gym. Dogs are not people and for me, they can be severely debilitating. I can't go to social events (parties) where dogs are present and when I go to family members' houses, I have to wear a mask. People act like I'm mean because I am severely allergic to dogs. I can understand that in someone's home but seriously, in a public place I have just as much right to be healthy as anyone else.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    This sounds like an excellent way to get someone else or your dog really hurt.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

I'm a little taken aback that people register their dogs for reasons other than physical, blindness, or something the seems more relevant to what a dog can help with. Now I know how all these mofo's where I live are calling there dogs service dogs. I recently had a lady on a cane telling me her 3 legged six inch high pug was a service dog? Umm sersly HOW does that little thing HELP you walk, it looks more like something you might trip over and I am concerned for BOTH your safety.

I agree that lots of people claim their animals are service dogs just to be able to take them places, but remember that not all disabilities can be seen. I have a friend with severe diabetes, and her little dog can smell the changes in her blood sugar and alert her that she's getting ready to have an incident.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I am very sorry to hear that this happened to you.

However, you still need to follow the rules. I understand that it is terrifying right now, and that you are overwhelmed. At the same time, it's good to know you are still trying to get out of the house. I am also glad to hear that you are in therapy for the assault. That will help you far more than bringing your dog to the gym.
    Keep in mind that not everyone is a dog lover. Not everyone will know your story. Not everyone will be empathetic. I get that you are not happy with your weight, but perhaps working out with a friend will be better for you. The gym is not a place for a dog, and to use your dog as a crutch will only slow the healing on your end.