Bringing Dog to Gym

Options

Replies

• xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    This sounds like an excellent way to get someone else or your dog really hurt.

This. Gyms are too dangerous for animals.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    First of all, I'm really sorry to hear that you were sexually assaulted. That's completely horrible, and I hope you're able to get the help you need and that the person responsible is being held accountable.

As to your question, unfortunately it seems reasonable for the gym to insist you not bring your dog. I bring my dog almost everywhere with me (she's even listed as staff on the Team page at the software company I work for). But I can think of at least a couple sensible reasons a dog doesn't belong at a gym. Dog hair + sweat is gross, and it isn't fair or reasonable to expect strangers to deal with that. Secondly, some people have severe allergies. Making it uncomfortable or even difficult for them to breathe while they're working out means that they're now in a position where they're not really getting what they pay for with a gym membership. (I really don't meant to sound unsympathetic, I've been raped and I truly can empathize with the feelings of fear and powerlessness that follow.)

I understand that having your dog near you is fantastic for dealing with anxiety (that's part of why I bring my dog with me so much). But in terms of protection a beagle isn't going to do anything if you're actually threatened. :( If your motivation for wanting your dog with you is psychological rather than as a physical defense, you may want to follow the advice of other posters and investigate certification as a therapy dog.

One of my father's dogs is a certified therapy dog so I can tell you from experience they have to be extremely calm in all situations, and capable of maintaining attention despite distractions. Part of the testing will involve startling your dog, including shoving it around a little bit (about as lightly as you'd shove a dog trying to get it into the car once s/he figures out you're going to the vet and not the park). Your dog will be handled abruptly by strangers, exposed to new situations and noises, and will have to maintain total calm throughout.

Whatever you decide to do I wish you the best.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    ^ Appropriate....

But yeah, like I said I have dogs and to be honest, I can't stand dog hair. I can totally empathize with people who either dislike dogs or have allergies because of this. Couldn't imagine it in a gym.
  • MayaDyra
    MayaDyra Posts: 90
    Options
    You're right about some people are allergic to dogs :'(
    Thanks for the supportive comments
    NoxDineen, I'm really really really sorry to hear that you were raped :'(
    How long is the feelings of fear and helplessness going to last? I want them to go away, IDK what to do, I have to deal with this ****e on my own and I don't know how to feel normal again, it's now 4 am in Taiwan and I'm not tired but I"m going to try to sleep....I blame myself, if I was thinner Kazimierz would not have stopped being my friend...I would have gone to London in December and he would have protected me because he is physically strong....it's all my fault...he would tell me all this stuff like he enjoys talking to me and when am I coming to London but at the end of the day he decided to cut off contact with me because of my weight...the day that the guy was at my house I called him over and over and he ignored me...he didn't know what had happened but he ignored me even though I never would call over and over like that...and he ignored me for 1.5 weeks and finally I called him from a UK number and he picked up right away and when I said why are you ignoring me, he hung up.....I feel so alone and scared all the time and the feeling is not going away and I don't even remember what the heck the therapist said and I just wish I had been good enough for Kazik, imagine how much safer I would feel right now if I had just been thinner and didn't disgust him
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    How long is the feelings of fear and helplessness going to last? I want them to go away, IDK what to do, I have to deal with this ****e on my own and I don't know how to feel normal again, it's now 4 am in Taiwan and I'm not tired but I"m going to try to sleep....I blame myself, if I was thinner Kazimierz would not have stopped being my friend...I would have gone to London in December and he would have protected me because he is physically strong....it's all my fault...he would tell me all this stuff like he enjoys talking to me and when am I coming to London but at the end of the day he decided to cut off contact with me because of my weight...the day that the guy was at my house I called him over and over and he ignored me...he didn't know what had happened but he ignored me even though I never would call over and over like that...and he ignored me for 1.5 weeks and finally I called him from a UK number and he picked up right away and when I said why are you ignoring me, he hung up.....I feel so alone and scared all the time and the feeling is not going away and I don't even remember what the heck the therapist said and I just wish I had been good enough for Kazik, imagine how much safer I would feel right now if I had just been thinner and didn't disgust him

why are you carrying on and mooning over some guy ?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    he decided to cut off contact with me because he was a *kitten*..

fixed that for you
    I want them to go away
    the feelings never really go away- they just change- the experience will always be with you unfortunately- I found the way you look at it- and process it is what changes.
    I blame myself
    you should never blame yourself for someone else's decision to harm you- physically or verbally.

You need professional help- what you need and are looking for will not be found here my dear.

I'm deeply sorry for you-it's a difficult thing to deal with - but you really need to see someone professionally to help you with this- this is not the place.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options

why are you carrying on and mooning over some guy who is a d!ckhead?

Tell me you're kidding.....

While I agree that this guy was a d!ckhead to her, the reason she is "carrying on and mooning" is because she currently feels victimized and is trying to her hardest to find reason why. The reasoning is incorrect, yes, but that is still part of the process that she will go through to heal.
  • Marcia315
    Options

While I agree that this guy was a d!ckhead to her, the reason she is "carrying on and mooning" is because she currently feels victimized and is trying to her hardest to find reason why. The reasoning is incorrect, yes, but that is still part of the process that she will go through to heal.

No, I'm not kidding.

What happened IS NOT HER FAULT!!!

And the guy is a complete *kitten* to tell her he dropped her because of her weight. From her picture, it looks like she's normal sized.
  • WeepingAngel81
    Options

No, I'm not kidding.

And the guy is a complete *kitten* to tell her he dropped her because of her weight. From her picture, it looks like she's normal sized.

I'm not disagreeing with you on that. But basically telling her to stop feeling something that she needs to feel in order to move on isn't going to help. She needs to come to grips with these feelings and realize that she is not in the wrong and never was. That takes time, tears, patience, and in her case some therapy.
  • Marcia315
    Options

No, I'm not kidding.

I'm not disagreeing with you on that. But basically telling her to stop feeling something that she needs to feel in order to move on isn't going to help. She needs to come to grips with these feelings and realize that she is not in the wrong and never was. That takes time, tears, patience, and in her case some therapy.

I happen to disagree. She can feel whatever she wants, but she's not helping herself by blaming herself instead of who should be blamed. And also recognize that Kaziwhatever isn't all that and a bag of chips like she thinks he is.

Normal guys don't drop a normal weight person because they're too fat. Normal guys help when a friend calls in distress. He ain't normal, or worth pining for.
  • WeepingAngel81
    Options

No, I'm not kidding.

I happen to disagree. She can feel whatever she wants, but she's not helping herself by blaming herself instead of who should be blamed. And also recognize that Kaziwhatever isn't all that and a bag of chips like she thinks he is.

Normal guys don't drop a normal weight person because they're too fat. Normal guys help when a friend calls in distress. He ain't normal, or worth pining for.

I am not disagreeing with you that she shouldn't blame herself. Nor am I disagreeing that this guy is a terrible character. Right now, she feels like a victim. That doesn't mean she is, but she is feeling it. She is grasping at anything that will help her make sense of this. However, telling her to NOT feel something that she is feeling, isn't going to help her get past it.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    You would need to see a therapist and discuss the possibility of being prescribed a service dog. Most public places do not allow dogs due to allergies and health/safety of others.

With or without a service dog, you should go see a doctor/therapist about what happened.
  • MayaDyra
    MayaDyra Posts: 90
    Options
    It's hard for me not to think about Kazik because in my eyes he is the closest I was to feeling safe. Sure, I might meet a nice strong person in the future, but I want to feel safe NOW, and I feel like I would have been feeling safe now had I been thinner. You're right though, it was uncool of him to abandon me. We used to have good conversations and I haven't acted in a rude way towards him or anything so it sucks that he couldn't let my weight go. I do feel quite sad about him. He didn't come across as a bad guy at all so I blame myself. Some days I even think, "Wow, I must suck really bad for him to leave me alone to deal with this" Some days I think I deserved it

I have seen a therapist twice, maybe I'll ask her if she can write something stating that my dog is for emotional reasons. I hope she wouldn't laugh at me if I ask her about this
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I would definitely do what others have suggested and register your dog as an emotional support animal. Apparently it's quite easy to do, you just have to pay a small fee, and once you do it you can't be denied entry to places and landlords can't refuse to rent to you because of your dog either.

OP, I just read back and see that you aren't in the states. I'm not sure how the laws work where you are. I'm going to leave this here for others, though.

I would caution people against this method. In some states, it's a felony if your dog isn't 1) properly trained and 2) you have a Dr.'s approval/prescription. In some states, emotional therapy animals don't "count" as legitimate need for a service dog. Please, look into your local and state laws. If you have approval by your Dr. for a dog, and your dog is trained, you do NOT need to pay a fee to these scam companies.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    your poor dog. please dont bring him to the gym if you are going to leave him outside for anyone to abuse him.

Or for someone to steal him. That's what happened recently in my neighborhood right outside a large grocery store.
  • WeepingAngel81
    Options
    It's hard for me not to think about Kazik because in my eyes he is the closest I was to feeling safe. Sure, I might meet a nice strong person in the future, but I want to feel safe NOW, and I feel like I would have been feeling safe now had I been thinner. You're right though, it was uncool of him to abandon me. We used to have good conversations and I haven't acted in a rude way towards him or anything so it sucks that he couldn't let my weight go. I do feel quite sad about him. He didn't come across as a bad guy at all so I blame myself. Some days I even think, "Wow, I must suck really bad for him to leave me alone to deal with this" Some days I think I deserved it

I have seen a therapist twice, maybe I'll ask her if she can write something stating that my dog is for emotional reasons. I hope she wouldn't laugh at me if I ask her about this

Have you talked to your therapist about Kazik? It sucks that there are horrible men like him in this world, but they do exist. You need to figure out how to get through feeling as though this is your fault. You are equating your weight with the assault. That is not the case. It may have happened if Kazik was there, it may not have. You will never have those answers. I understand wanting and needing to feel safe, but he has left you with a pretty low blow to your self esteem which is just another piece of yourself that you need to get back in order to over come everything.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

No, I'm not kidding.

I don't think that is what I got from the post... No one said to stop feeling feelings. Coming here and discussing feelings about this subject is unfortunately not an appropriate place. A professional's office is though.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    I would definitely do what others have suggested and register your dog as an emotional support animal. Apparently it's quite easy to do, you just have to pay a small fee, and once you do it you can't be denied entry to places and landlords can't refuse to rent to you because of your dog either.

OP, I just read back and see that you aren't in the states. I'm not sure how the laws work where you are. I'm going to leave this here for others, though.

I would caution people against this method. In some states, it's a felony if your dog isn't 1) properly trained and 2) you have a Dr.'s approval/prescription. In some states, emotional therapy animals don't "count" as legitimate need for a service dog. Please, look into your local and state laws. If you have approval by your Dr. for a dog, and your dog is trained, you do NOT need to pay a fee to these scam companies.

Agreed. I have only seen people who have PTSD get service animals.. Beyond that and physical/developmental disabilities her chances are slim in getting a service animal.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you for the supportive comments (I've had 2 sessions with a therapist)....I like that I could register it was an emotional support dog. So, how does this usually work? Do you go through a government agency or your vet? I live in Taiwan, but I'd like to get an idea...of how it generally works.

I thought Les Mils body pump was exclusive to Goodlife gyms.
    Is there one in Taiwan?