Bringing Dog to Gym

Options

Replies

• MayaDyra
    MayaDyra Posts: 90
    Options
    Are you telling me not to talk about it? If so tell me more directly like "stop talking about this" because I'm not good at sarcasm or irony :/ I did mention Kazik to my therapist, I forget what she said, it went by really fast. I feel like I would feel safer now if Kazik were still friends with me because he is physically strong. That's why I started losing weight, so that he would talk to me again and then I would feel safe. Sigh it's 5:30 am and it's getting light outside, won't be able to do anything all day because of weird sleeping hours. Sigh.

Les Mills Body Pump, Body Combat, Body Attack, and Body Jam and the cycling thing are available at World Gym in Taiwan and may be available at other gyms here, I don't know.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I think what people are saying is to continue to talk about it more appropriate places e.g. a therapist's office or a support forum for survivors. You'll meet many other people who are strong if you allow yourself to heal and find ways of addressing your fear vs using your experience as a crutch to bend the rules.
  • erinm5
    erinm5 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
  • erinm5
    erinm5 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you for the supportive comments (I've had 2 sessions with a therapist)....I like that I could register it was an emotional support dog. So, how does this usually work? Do you go through a government agency or your vet? I live in Taiwan, but I'd like to get an idea...of how it generally works.

I thought Les Mils body pump was exclusive to Goodlife gyms.
    Is there one in Taiwan?

Goodlife Fitness is just in Canada, Les Mills is a world wide program of classes. Goodlife is simply the only gym in Canada that supports/markets its classes.
  • MayaDyra
    MayaDyra Posts: 90
    Options
    Got 3 hours of sleep finally at 8 am :/ So I contacted my therapist and she is going to write an emotional support animal letter for my dog. I called a guy from Forumosa who works at World Gym in Taipei to ask if World Gym can accept it. I go to the World Gym in Taichung but the staff there are not very friendly. I am waiting for him to call me back because he wasn't there when I called him. I have to run an errand at 1:30 pm so if he doesn't call me back by then, whatever. And I have to go look at the pool also and ask how much it costs. Sucks doing stuff on a low amount of sleep.
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your assault. I hope you can find a gym that will let you have a dog there. The laws vary from state to state. In our state, we are having a big problem with "unofficial therapy dogs" going into stores, restaurants, etc. and not being properly potty trained, resulting in messes on the floor and in some cases getting into fights with other unofficial therapy dogs. One thing about dogs is that some people, like myself, are somewhat allergic to dogs. If I am around dogs with certain kinds of fur, my asthma act up. That would be really hard for me if there was a dog at the gym and it caused an asthma flare up.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I think what people are saying is to continue to talk about it more appropriate places e.g. a therapist's office or a support forum for survivors. You'll meet many other people who are strong if you allow yourself to heal and find ways of addressing your fear vs using your experience as a crutch to bend the rules.

THIS THIS THIS!!!!!!
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I was also raped when I was 22. I didn't have a dog, but I was terrified Everytime I had to go out in public. What helped was time and facing my fear and getting stronger. I too joined a gym and the physical empowerment helped me feel safer. Like I could defend myself if necessary.

Each time you do go out and nothing happens it reaffirms a small piece of your feeling of safety. Eventually you have enough of those times that you don't feel like something will happen Everytime you go out. Keep,with it, dog or not, scared or not. Hold your head high and take a deep breath and take on the day feeling strong. Or, pretend you feel strong and eventually you will.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry to hear about what happened to you.

http://www.pandys.org = free, anonymous, online peer support for survivors of sexual violence through a forum and chat room, along with lots of articles and information.

I just want you to know that, as a survivor myself, it gets better and you will be okay. It takes time and work, and you will always carry it with you in some form, but things will get brighter. Please take care of yourself. And this is the most important thing to remember, in my opinion: there is only ONE person responsible for what happened - the rapist.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    get the dog registered as a therapy dog

Therapy dogs aren't protected by US law as service animals are
    Can I do that for a beagle?

Yes, you can register ANY breed as a therapy dog or a service dog, provided they can pass the required training.
    I know a girl who has her dog registered as a service animal. They cannot refuse service or entry to any business or establishment if the dog can pass the registry tests.

+1

Wow, did you really just say that? Neither service dogs nor therapy dogs are "crutches" and your indication they they are is insulting not only to the millions of people who utilize them, but also to every persona and organization that advocates for their use. Crawl back into whatever hole you came from and take your ignorance with you.

You have no idea how ridiculous your post sounds, do you? People who don't have PTSD, physical or developmental disabilities should not have service dogs. I've read all her posts carefully to point where I stopped bothering. She expects her gym to allow an animal into the gym where there are potentially dangers and where people may have allergies. I have animals and would NEVER bring them to the gym - neither outside or indoors. I can't believe people are advocating for the neglect of animals so she can "feel" safe. That's sounds like a crutch to me. Its OK now to have feelings of hopelessness and fear but at some point its not only good but important for OP to be the survivor, not a victim.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    I was also raped when I was 22. I didn't have a dog, but I was terrified Everytime I had to go out in public. What helped was time and facing my fear and getting stronger. I too joined a gym and the physical empowerment helped me feel safer. Like I could defend myself if necessary

+1
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options

Yes, you can register ANY breed as a therapy dog or a service dog, provided they can pass the required training.
    I know a girl who has her dog registered as a service animal. They cannot refuse service or entry to any business or establishment if the dog can pass the registry tests.

+1

Wow, did you really just say that? Neither service dogs nor therapy dogs are "crutches" and your indication they they are is insulting not only to the millions of people who utilize them, but also to every persona and organization that advocates for their use. Crawl back into whatever hole you came from and take your ignorance with you.

You have no idea how ridiculous your post sounds, do you? People who don't have PTSD, physical or developmental disabilities should not have service dogs. I've read all her posts carefully to point where I stopped bothering. She expects her gym to allow an animal into the gym where there are potentially dangers and where people may have allergies. I have animals and would NEVER bring them to the gym - neither outside or indoors. I can't believe people are advocating for the neglect of animals so she can "feel" safe. That's sounds like a crutch to me. Its OK now to have feelings of hopelessness and fear but at some point its not only good but important for OP to be the survivor, not a victim.

This.
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options

You can do it for any dog. It isn't a "protection" dog, it's a dog to help you feel calm and relaxed. You could register a chihuahua or a great dane :)
    this,,its actually really easy to do..and sorry about the attack,some people are not worth the air they breath!
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

+1

She probably does have PTSD right now, but I still don't 'think it's a reason to take the dog to the gym.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    your poor dog. please dont bring him to the gym if you are going to leave him outside for anyone to abuse him.

Or for someone to steal him. That's what happened recently in my neighborhood right outside a large grocery store.

She's talking about bringing the dog IN with her - that is the whole point.

Reading comprehension, people.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

+1

:huh:
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    your poor dog. please dont bring him to the gym if you are going to leave him outside for anyone to abuse him.

Or for someone to steal him. That's what happened recently in my neighborhood right outside a large grocery store.

She's talking about bringing the dog IN with her - that is the whole point.

Reading comprehension, people.

She also said that when she brought it to the gym they made her tie it up outside and that the gym employees apparently took the dog and tied it up across the parking lot or something like that. The OP was upset because she thought her dog got stolen and the gym employees were laughing at her.

Edited; Here it is:
    Last time one of the staff tied my dog really far as a joke and I asked them and the people at the front desk were laughing at me and they said it must have run away. I left the gym and was ready to file a report about the dog being gone but I went back into the gym to use the bathroom and the guy finally told me he tied it at the back of the building :/ Sigh. They don't understand.

So yeah. Sounds like she IS leaving it outside.
  • fredman2
    fredman2 Posts: 57
    Options
    You also have to think about the dog - it's not fair to him to be put in a position where strangers can fool with him or even steal him.
    I would think you should be able to find a staff member to walk you to your car, and to find someone else walking in and get out of your car when you see them. I don't know how you would deal in walking to or from the car to your home, though. I guess we are assuming you have a car as well. There has to be ways you can arrange this, though, but be fair to the dog also.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    You also have to think about the dog - it's not fair to him to be put in a position where strangers can fool with him or even steal him.
    I would think you should be able to find a staff member to walk you to your car, and to find someone else walking in and get out of your car when you see them. I don't know how you would deal in walking to or from the car to your home, though. I guess we are assuming you have a car as well. There has to be ways you can arrange this, though, but be fair to the dog also.

Or someone trips over a leash and gets hurt
    Or dog gets freaked and fear bites someone
    Or someone drops a weight and crushes dogs foot/tail/face
    Or someone gets started by dog and drops weight on oneself
    Or someone is allergic to the dog
    Or someone is really afraid of dogs
    Or a million other safety things that could happen.

-As far as it being a service animal, she isn't in the US (even though I am pretty sure it is a troll) so laws are going to be different.

-Even if she was in the US and told people it was a service dog. They can still call her on it and she would have to prove it was. Now, they can get into some legal hot water if they call you on it and the animal actually is....but since the gym already knows the dog and the situation..even if the laws were the same as the US..they will be very quick to call her out...if they are even legally obligated to do that before they toss them both out.

-Your dog may make you feel safe and you may swear that your precious puppy friend would defend you if something happened. Please note the reality that if you ever were attacked, the first thing that dog, 99.99% of dogs would do is just bark and run away unless they are absolutely cornered and have no other choice. Sorry to break your false sense of security but it is what it is. Most breeds even known for their protective nature would run away unless they have been specifically trained.

-If, in fact, you actually aren't a troll then I think it might be in your best interest to leave you dog at home and not further alienate other gym users but instead introduce and become familiar with the gyms security guard and staff...and your therapist. That would be if you weren't a troll.