WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2014

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,934 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: This will be another day when I’ve read the posts but won’t have the time to write individual responses. I need to read what’s going on with you…..then I feel sad that I don’t respond----then I remember that Heather says “don’t let perfect be the enemy of good”.

:flowerforyou: It has been a busy and emotional few days for me. I got teary on Friday morning when I announced to the line dance class that the teacher had turned the class over to me because of her health. I started dancing with her in November 2004 when I moved up here and I’ve been a faithful student first one day a week and then two. Some of the dances we do are ones that I learned from her. I am so sad that she waited until her health was so bad and wasn’t able to retire on a winning streak. In the afternoon we had a line dance party at the home of a woman who has a big living room with a hardwood floor perfect for dancing. I came home, took a short nap, walked the dogs, and then headed off for an evening potluck event. I don’t eat at potlucks because the choice of food is too uncertain.

:flowerforyou: Today I walked the dogs early, went to a spiritual meeting, then the grocery store, then worked in the yard for an hour. Jake went off to his grass cutting job so I had the house to myself for awhile and used the time to watch my TV favorites and catch up on some chores. More chores, dog walking and exercise bike riding in the afternoon.

:flowerforyou: About insomnia
    when I can’t sleep I move to the guest room and read…..either I read myself back to sleep or I enjoy the luxury of a long reading session.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Given pregnant (with 2nd one) DD trouble with sleeping, I told her about homeopathic remedies. Not sure if she will be able to take it though.

Katla...I come from a no medication environment, like your mom. However, I learned there seems to be no relationship between sleeping medication and Alzheimer disease, notwithstanding any of your mom our my mom's opinion. Although, once a person has Alzheimer, sleep medication can certainly have an affect that may be less than desirable.

There is so much misinformation about insomnia. It is like everything else. Once you are confronted with a condition or disease, that is when understanding becomes relevant. Most insomniacs have already tried everything there is to try. My heart goes out to those who suffer.

Renny
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Bump. Busy week.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,355 Member
    Options
    Meg - this seems to be bf's way of dealing with this, unfortunately. It's such a shame that dd didn't make the appt. Hopefully, she will pretty soon. What will she do if the day she delivers the only MD's are male? I remember that I'd always seen one MD in the ob/gyn practice when I was pg with Jessica and the day I was due to deliver he wasn't on but his partner was. That's when I learned that you need to meet each MD in the practice before you need them.

Beth - the Green Room is our local community theater

Friday night I put the marinade on the pork chops that I'll make for during the week. I'm also softening butter for a cake for one of the gals at mahjongg Monday. It usually sticks to the pan, but this time I'm going to let it cool in the pan much longer. I have one cake that I have to let cool in the pan for an hour. We'll see how the longer cooling time works. They all know that I'm constantly trying new things. Update: I let it cool in the pan for an hour and much less stuck to the pan. Maybe next time I need to let it sit in the pan for 1-1/2 hours.

Sylvia - In one sense I hope your're wrong about the MD, but my gut says that you probably aren't.

Renny - enjoy your massage

kayzoola - take it easy cutting that grass

Heather - that's so cute gs's knowledge of your hubby's age! Great exercising!

cyclingbonnie - best of luck to you!

Purple Tere - We're supposed to be in the 80's today, too. We're hoping to finish getting the pool cover off and putting it on the driveway to dry and then do more work towards opening the pool. Hope you can get to the celebration

I blew up at Vince today. I've been saying for a few weeks that we need to order Wet and Forget. When I first mentioned it, Vince asked me to hold off so I said "when you're ordering from Amazon and need to get the order over $35 for the free shipping, you can add that". Well, he ordered a part for the salt water chlorine generator and in order to get the order over $35 he added a book for himself. So he now told me (I think it's more to appease me than anything else) to order the Wet and Forget. I will and if I need to get the order over $35, I'll just add a DVD on. Not like I really need it, but I will add it anyway.

Well, I just ordered the Wet & Forget. Actually, it seems it's shipped from an outside source, so I will be charged the shipping. However, I ordered a DVD for myself anyway.

Did 40 min of the DVD "Personal Training with Jackie Warner" today. Tomorrow I'm planning that I'll do either balance games or training games on the Wii, depending on how much time I have

Katla - the cupcakes froze quite well. As a matter of fact, the two I had for Vince, he actually PREFERRED them to be in the refrig. While Steve was here Jessica called and mentioned that she and Kris were thinking of going to CO late in Aug because evidentally Kris has family there (not sure where in CO), so hopefully she can work on Vince to go also. I'm always up for traveling. Vince got to do a lot when he worked, I had to stay home with the kids.

Kim - how wonderful of you to donate to the food bank!

Carol in NC - wasn't today absolutely gorgeous? Tomorrow's supposed to be about the same. Next time you'll be sure to use that sunscreen.

Joyce - congrats on those PJ's. I like Kohl's, especially when I have a 30% off coupon....lol

Well, Vince and I worked on the pool today. We got the cover up on the driveway to dry out, we're adding water to the pool, I cleaned (as much as I could) the spa, washed down the tiles. In places, mainly around the waterfall, there are these white streaks. What we think it is is salt buildup. But some of it is real real hard, if not impossible, to remove. the chairs are out, the umbrellas, the handrails are back in. It's starting to look like a real pool. We figure by next Sunday we can probably start enjoying it, we have to get the chemicals balanced first.

Then went to church. Made marinated baked pork chops for later in the week and have a split pea soup in the crockpot to just have in the freezer to grab. Made a lemon pound cake this morning for this gal at mahjongg Monday.

Michele in NC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Yanniejannie – Gourmet group meets once a month and this was my 3rd meeting since I started this journey and the first one I totally lost it on:grumble: ; the problem is I entertain with pretty fancy meals and assorted drinks probably 3-5 times a month.. so for me it is something new I have to practice – one small glass of wine; reasonable portions, doggie bags, …. And you and 2 close friends are the only ones who know I am trying to lose weight.:smile: So it is a learning curve for me – but I really made the deliberate choice to not change my life; but to make small different choices as I “do life” and foodie things are really important for me. :drinker:

Sylvia – I love the jokes! Is your studio on your property?

Joyce – you crack me up – snickers hun? For me it is a heath bar…. Have not had one in 2 months…:smile:

Alison – a beach fairy garden!!! How great! Your day sounds great! It sounds like you took care of you, this is the first post I remember from you that did not include some relation that you were waiting on; I am so glad you had this day. :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

Carol – when you walk that much you need to have greater quantities of fuel – I feel that way when I do a garden day – it takes a lot of food to get rid of the hungries but if you have used it up it’s not “bad” . :smile:

Michele – we have really “hard” minerally water here and white vinegar breaks it up – I am not sure how it would work where you have the white streaks but I soak a cloth in the vinegar and lay it on my faucet where I get a build up and after a few hours I can just rinse all the yuck away.

So I worked for 3 hours at the Garden of Eden, we had a great turn out about 10 volunteers – planted tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant. Finished digging out garlic, onions, and potatoes. There were just a few of the veggies so we all took home the strays. I burned a ton of calories and so had wine with dinner – and have a few calories left for a WW ice cream bar later. I love the days with some extra - I will only eat back 20-25% of my exercise calories. this is garden weekend :laugh: tomorrow is a tour of some of our member's gardens so I will be spending the afternoon wandering from garden to garden! I am looking forward to it. I am really tired - lots of digging and hauling today so think I will watch some TV tonight - that is not what I usually do I am much more likely to read or to work on paper work for the business... have a great evening.

Kim in N. California
  • MimiPersists
    MimiPersists Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Day...what...5? I think so. Not in the groove quite yet but will be soon. I couldn't tally my food last night because the power went out (for 12 hrs!) but did it today. I've been under each day. Yay me. Not so good on the exercise though. I made 5,000+ steps each day except for today. I think it's a matter of putting my eating/exercise first. Hard to do sometimes but important. That's what worked for me last time. I had to make the weight loss/exercise journey a priority.

I started out the day by taking my daughter and her husband's dog to the vet. I took my 9-year old granddaughter with me. They took the 7-year old to her ballgame. Olivia and I spent 2 hours (2 hours!!!) at the vet. Aaaagh. I hadn't had breakfast yet and neither had she so we were starving (so to speak lol). After we dropped the dog off at home, we went out for lunch together, which went well.(Good choices.)

After that, we went for a pedicure (at least, she did. I just got a color change) then to a wonderful little gift shop where they had lots of local, handmade items. That took awhile. Olivia was fascinated by all the handmade things and talked up a storm with the proprietor who, I think, gets lonely by herself in there. She's an interesting person so I enjoyed the whole experience.

Finally, we stopped by our old-fashioned hardware store where I got a glass refrigerator bottle with a spout for pouring and a lid. I'll fill it and put it on the counter for a visual cue.

We arrived home around 5 pm. I felt pretty spent and didn't exercise. I got on the phone with an old friend (important conversation actually about my niece's severe post-partum depression (beyond depression really) - something my friend had experienced after having her children.)

Tomorrow, I won't make any other commitments other than to start my day with a walk. That will lift my mood and set the tone for the day. Hmm. I sound like I'm preaching to myself and I guess I am. I feel better getting some exercise early in the day. That will make the whole day feel brighter.

I am glad that Olivia and I got to have a Grandma day though. And her pedicure looks awesome - blue polish with tropical flowers on each big toe (sparkling gem in the center!)

Renny, I wondered if sleep apnea had been ruled out as a cause for the insomnia. It's notorious for that and definitely occurs in people who are at all weight levels.

Michele, thanks for the compliment about looking younger. If only I did in person. I've let my hair go back to grey and I know you always liked the color. BTW, you made me laugh out loud with your story about buying the DVD. That was perfect!

Mimi SVQ

(formerly Mimi7Grands - but MFP won't send me a link to set a new password (I forgot the old one) even though I've requested it a kajillion times - so now I'm MimiPersists...there's just no getting rid of me!)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,243 Member
    Options
    Good morning from a very rainy Hampshire UK.
    DH won't be able to go to cricket.:cry: I do like a day to myself, but maybe not a Sunday. I plan to have a go at the sugar paste rabbits this afternoon and do a batch cook of beef mince to make ragu and chilli. The chilli is coming with us to France on the 8th for our first evening meal. Usually we rush out to the nearest hypermarket and get French food, but it's a bank holiday so nothing will be open.
    The owners came over to give us the key yesterday. We got on really well over tea and banana cake. I hadn't met the wife before and the husband was the guy who painted our house last August. I opened the door to them and he said, "Wow Heather, you're looking great, really slim! How much more weight have you lost?"
    Well, as it was August, it can't be more than 7 or 8 lbs, but it's good to hesr. Of course I got the usual questions, how did you do it, etc. But people go deaf when you explain it. The idea of all that logging sounds crazy to them. Even crazier sounds this lovely group of women that have helped me so much. People wrinkle their brows and I can see they are thinking, she has totally lost it!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Anyway, he said again, "Well, you are looking really well and healthy on it".
    People are saying that, that I sm looking well and healthy. I'm glad about that as I was worried about going all haggard.:tongue: I did have my full "face" on though - not looking quite so healthy first thing in the morning! ! ! !:tongue::wink:
    Today it all fired me up and I have been able to log 524 cals exercise. I moan all the time and complain about it being a life sentence, but I know it is worth it, both for my own health and when I get compliments like that.

Thank you for listening to me crow.:blushing: :blushing: :blushing: I don't do that in real life, except to DH. Not socially acceptable.:tongue:

DH has been trying yo cut back on his meds and has been getting his night time anxiety back, so he will probably have to go back to his old dose. Oh well.:frown:

Love to all. I only had one bite of the banana cake (delicious) and one teaspoon of the Turkish rice pudding (gorgeous). As I'd told you lot that was all I was having, that was all I had. Thankyou.:flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou:

You mean a lot to me.:love:

Kim - Turkish food is a lot of charcoal grill, and stews. Rice, couscous. Middle Eastern really. Some of it is like Greek food. I had grilled chicken kebab, yoghourt sauce they call cacik, a spicy chilli sauce, loads of salad including red cabbage, and a bit of couscous. I looooovvvve charcoal grilled food. There are many kebab shops in this country and most of it is very poor quailty. Because my son's part of London is a Turkish community the food is much better and more authentic. Proper charcoal, not some synthetic imitation grill.

Katla - I will tell you the story another day. :flowerforyou:

Heather in soaking wet Hampshire UK
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Sounds like everyone has had a good weekend so far:bigsmile: !!! I enjoyed my time with my friend yesterday, she looks really good, although she can`t walk anymore:sad: , ALS is such a horrible disease, she is going on 8 years with it now:brokenheart: !

Today I go boss the boys:love: ! Think I`ll put the tiara on today and be extra bossy:devil: , just because.....:tongue::laugh:

Hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC where it`s another gorgeous day:glasses:
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Kim - no, my studio is in an old building in our little downtown. I started out with a tiny studio in a garden shed in our yard, then I outgrew it and moved into my half of the garage, then into BOTH halves of the garage, then added a kiln shed in the side yard. For years every time we would pass a building that was for sale, I'd say to hubby, "that would be a good pottery shop". Finally, when I found a building that was cheap and had a beauty salon in the front half (with a paying tenant already in it), he agreed that we could buy it. I think he wanted his garage back. In the 15+ years since, the tenants changed a few times, from a beauty shop, to a candy shop, to a Mexican grocery store, and when they moved out I decided to take over the whole building and put my gallery up front so it's more visible from the street. I really like it, but I sure miss having a paying tenant. There is a small office where I do freelance drafting, and the rest of the 2100 square feet is all clay. But taxes and insurance and utilities are killing me. When my health got bad, I stopped working much, and I miss it. Keep hoping to get back to it full time again, but so far it's been a real struggle to work at all. I'm seriously considering selling the building.

We are at the lake this morning, and got up with the dogs at 6:30. It's so beautiful and peaceful out here this morning. We met a new neighbor and his beautiful collie dog. Hubby laughed afterward that I asked the dogs name (Laddie) but not the guy's. Oops. Neighbors don't like us much, so we stay pretty much to ourselves out here. Several years ago we sued a neighbor who was building his house right on the property line in spite of the 10 foot setback rule in the covenants, and he was friends with all the other 75 homeowners, so they all hated us. He told us," there are no rules out here that apply to me", so he kept building while the lawsuit made it's way through the court system, and in the end he had to tear it down and rebuild it ten feet away, so he really hated us after that, and so did all his friends. They did some pretty hateful things to us at first, but over the years it's settled down to just them leaving us alone, and we leaving them alone. The lots are really small, so we have to protect every inch of space or we will be crowded all together like in a city or something.

Well, gotta go make hubby his french toast. Have a great Sunday!

Sylvia
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Beautiful Sunday morning!!! Going out to volunteer at the finish line at a race later; I could be doing an all day volunteer stint for a charity walk where a good friend is co-chair but passed in favor of helping out the running club.

The musical my friend had comped tickets for last night was, well, OK.........nothing too special. The reception had some super food..........I had one piece of heavenly bruchetta. a smidge of cheese, and then some marvelous Kobe beef sliders (minus the little buns)
    they offered tons of seafood-based items, which I don't eat. Well, I do make an exception for really good clam chowder, but all the rest is wasted on me. Ended up having people from the running club sit with us at the reception; will see both of them later today at the race. Nice to get to see a place that is sooooo far out of my price range----and it was crowded.

Dee Dee...........ALS is an especially cruel and heartbreaking disease process; very sorry about your friend.

Heather..........Sounds as if you had a terrific time with your DGC........they are the most adorable children!!!

Mimi........You had a fun day too.............making memories! Bet she loves her nails.

Kim............It's important to do this in a way that will work for you............and it sounds like you are!

Warning................major VENT ahead.

Still mad at H.......notice there is no D in front. The man has zero social interest; just zero............and almost always, I'm happy to just go and do on my own. Most people I know.........in clubs, charity support groups, etc. just assume I'm a widow. But one of the women I met recently (and like a lot) wanted both of us to go out for a meal as couples.........her DH is like mine to a lesser degree. I spoke to H last weekend and he seemed OK, now says no
    he "has to talk to enough people at work". We used to do things with others..........not a lot........and I raised DD totally on my own when it came to parent attending functions, events, practices, etc........I truly was surprised when he attended her h.s. grad. but he did. It was the end of her 2nd yr. at college before he even saw the campus. With him being in the military and being gone long periods, I got used to being independent and, quite liked it; but he's retired 17 yrs now!!!! There are worse problems, I know, but this is infuriating me at the moment to the point where I'm wondering if I want to spend the rest of my life like this.......which will probably pass. I do have a lot going on in my life and I'm happy overall and know I'm very fortunate in so many ways; and usually, if I'm being honest, that includes my independence
    I know I would be miserable being in one of those "glued at the hip couples"......... but .this incident has just completely gotten under my skin for some reason. He'll go out to eat with me (alone) and go to an occ. movie but that's about it. Is he depressed???? I wouldn't doubt it; but know he'd never acknowledge it or consent to treatment............so, on we go.....................with DD gone as a distraction, sometimes I feel myself getting dragged down that slope with him and this is just one of those times. This too shall pass.

Sometimes it helps to just get it written down. Hope you all are in a much better frame of mind than me!!!
    yanniejannie
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Just a quick note to congratulate all with successes and to send hugs to all who need them. Work is insanely busy. I always read all of the posts in the morning and again in the evening, but couldn't last week. I caught up yesterday and typed responses but lost the post. No time to rewrite.

Yesterday we went to a wine tasting event. The wines were all made by amateur winemakers and included some very unusual varieties. We met a lot of very nice people and really enjoyed the time. At the end of the event, one of the winemakers came up to me with a bottle of beet wine and said she wanted me to have it. I love beets and had enjoyed the taste of the wine. It was really sweet of her to remember me out of all the people who were there. DH said I was probably the only one who would like it. He hates beets.

meg- Hugs to you. What a difficult situation! Raising child is challenging in the best of times. Hope your DD is able to eventually make the best decisions for her and the baby. I understand the frustrations when students don't do well.I always beat myself up about what else I could have done, when usually it is due to their unwillingness to put in the work they need to in order to be successful.

Margaret- The Smartboard I had in my old classroom did not work properly for a long time before they finally replaced it. My students called it the dumbboard. I just thought it was my aura- seems to have a negative effect on all technology.

mimi- Welcome back! Love the mimipersists!

Love all of the jokes!! Where other than this thread can we go for good conversations, wisdom, motivation, and a good chuckle? A big thanks to all of you!!

Need to go an write lots of lesson plans!! At least grading is all done. Have a great Sunday!!

Deb A in CNY
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Kim in N CA: I am so impressed that you and your garden club maintain a four acre garden to help support the food bank. Wonderful!:flowerforyou:

Joyce: Congratulations on the smaller size. :bigsmile: Smaller clothes were the very best NSVs for me until I hit maintenance. Lately I’ve been counting improved energy and fitness as my NSV’s. They’re good, but not as much fun as smaller clothes.:noway: :wink:

Margaret: The 123 Magic discipline workshop you went to sounds particularly useful. Nice! :flowerforyou:

Carol in NC: Your beach vacation sounds absolutely lovely. Enjoy every minute you can.:flowerforyou:

Barbie: I am sad that your dance teacher is sick, but happy for her that she spent her time sharing her love of dance with others. I don’t think she’d be sad about the time she spent with you and the other dancers. I do the same thing about insomnia as you. I move to the guest room and read. :flowerforyou:

Renny: I think you are right about Alzheimers and sleep medications. I don’t think the medication caused the disease, but it certainly made the symptoms worse in the beginning. :cry: Some of the medications that were available over the counter back then have been taken off the market long ago. Later grandma lost more and more contact with reality. I pray someone eventually finds a way to successfully treat and hopefully prevent Alzheimers.:brokenheart:

Michele: Thanks for the cupcake information. They are on my “to do” list. Caring for a pool sounds like it takes a lot of skill and knowledge. I hope you’ll enjoy every minute you spend in the pool all season.:flowerforyou:

Kim in N CA: Our method for dieting has been portion control because we both have various allergies and sensitivities. It is harder to use portion control in public, because food scales and dishers are conspicuous and would be out of place. I believe you’ll be able to figure out ways to manage your love of food and lose weight if you are persistent. Heather does a wonderful job with her love of entertaining and cooking while getting healthier.:flowerforyou:

Mimi: Your day with DGD sounds lovely. My DGD is still way too young for something like that, but I could enjoy a pedicure with DD in the future. I’m glad you put the idea into my mind. Thanks!:flowerforyou:

Heather: Congratulations on the fabulous NSV from the man who hadn’t seen you since August! I think it is nice that the owners of your vacation spot in France turned out to be your housepainter and his wife. Interconnections like that are so unexpected and also wonderful. :smile: We had a wonderful Middle Eastern Restaurant here several years ago. I LOVED the food. Unfortunately the owner would NOT serve American dishes and this is a little town filled with people who aren’t adventurous eaters. Timing was also awkward as the Iraq war was in full swing and that may have influenced some people as well. The place closed.:frown:

DeeDee: Enjoy bossing the boys. :bigsmile: I’m sad for your friend who has lost her ability to walk. ALS is an awful disease. I hope they find a way to fix whatever causes it. I saw a news story about a man who was severely burned and the doctors used his own stem sells to heal his skin. The healing was quick and complete, and he had no visible scars. I hope that stem cells can eventually be used to cure autoimmune diseases. Maybe they will be some day.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: Sorry to hear about the lousy neighbors where you have your cabin. Some people just seem to feel entitled to do what ever they want no matter how it affects others or whether it is legal. :angry: Good luck on the decision about your pottery shop. I’m sure you’ll make a good decision, but it may take some time to think it through and see how your health issues are affected by working with the clay.:flowerforyou:

We have a downpour this morning, so working on the fishing boat is on hold. The motor is as fixed s it can be, and the mechanic says we should look for a newer one in the long term. He even gave us some ideas about how to find a good used one. For now, we'll "putt along" with what we have. Tomorrow the boat goes to the canvas lady for repairs to the 40+ year old top. Next year we're hope to put on a new top. DH is sorting out what he wants. Free boats are expensive.:wink::laugh:

Katla in beautiful and wet NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

April Goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Move more: cardio at least 3 days a week and strength training when able.
    3. Find a way to have fun at least once every day.
    4. Water: Pay attention to water intake and drink frequently during the day.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,243 Member
    Options
    Yanniejannie - I was very interested to see your vent and thank you for sharing it with us. It does help to write it all down, doesn't it. I don't really have any advice, except to say that a few women I know have the same problem with their husbands. It seems to me that (most) women seem to grow and seek out new experiences as they get older and (some) men seem to shrink and lose interest in exploring new things. They get very set in their ways. Perhaps it would help to write how you feel (without blame) in a letter to him. I would think your chances of getting him to change are pretty small at his age, but you would have given him a chance and due notice of your unhappiness. Of course the wording would be all important, but I am sure you have the skills for that.
    Big hugs for you.:flowerforyou: I have every faith that you will find the right solution for you.:heart:

Heather UK
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Hi folks, I'm recovering from my bicycle ride yesterday I didn't quite get 63 miles in, but I did get 52 miles completed WooHoo, great first big ride of the year. I have photos, but this film made by someone else on the ride is so great I thought you might enjoy watching it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-toTuHZsCY&feature=youtu.be

Michele - hope you enjoy the pool …

Kim - Garden of Eden day sounds wonderful (especially ice cream)

Mimi - Love the granddaughter day! My granddaughter is 20 now, we just had almost 2 weeks together and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Heather - Enjoy France, a little envious of that. Have always wanted to ride in France.

DeeDee- beautiful here in the Mountains yesterday and today! Enjoy this respite from winter at long last.

Sylvia - Dogs are often the bridge in neighborhoods with a little bad blood going on. I don't blame you at all about suing the guy. We have had issues in the past with neighbors, and when we moved here 25 years ago I made the conscious decision to get to know my neighbors, but not to be close friends. It is the first place I have ever lived that I didn't feel like the neighborhood was a soap opera. My close friends live in the surrounding area, but not in my neighborhood. Twenty-five years and their have been neighborhood arguments, but we have been able to stay clear of them.

yanniejannie - Vent away, we're here for you. Many military men have this problem. Speaking from my own experience … my husband is satisfied to fish … alone … and stay home. He is supportive in me doing all the activities that I want … he congratulates me and tells me how proud he is … even before MIL moved in with us he didn't want to do social things. Go out to dinner with me to a movie with me or even a play with me was acceptable and even fun, but social gatherings were not something he wanted to do. He had gotten to where he would go to dinner get togethers … but that is kind of moot now that his mother is with us. If I can convince her to go he'll go … but most of the time her answer is "I don't know any of those people." I'm glad you realize you like your independence and I'm with you about the joined at the hip couples, simply not for me. Hang in there, and continue to try …

Deb - mmmm wine :drinker:

Katla - love that "free boats are expensive" comment … isn't that the case with many things?

Well I'm going to go for now it is beautiful here in the Mountains of NC and when the husband gets back from fishing I think I'll go for a short bike ride to workout some of my stiffness from the big ride yesterday. Some girlfriends want to play Mahjongg tonight and I do believe I'll go. Have a great day!

Bonnie in the beautiful mountains of NC.
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    YannieJannie, my hubby is much like yours. We very seldom socialize unless you count going to a chemistry banquet twice a year. He went with me to a pottery group meeting once several years ago because I promised him bbq afterwards. That only worked once. He won't go to movies either. I used to worry that he was ashamed of me, but later I came to understand that wasn't it at all. He does come to my open house at the studio in December, but sits in the corner waiting to leave. One friend's husband is a biologist, so they can hold a conversation, but they don't really seek other men to talk to. I have a circle of female friends to do stuff with, and he stays home watching the liberal alternative to Fox News. We never have anybody over to the house except my son and his kids. Sometimes I feel bad about it, but that's the way he is. And yes, I do believe he is depressed, but he sure won't admit it. Men!

We just took the dogs out to potty and I got to pet the neighbor's collie. He was so soft and fluffy! Sometimes I think I'd like to have a furrier dog, but then I think about the shedding and brushing. Ours shed, but in smaller quantities.

It just started pouring buckets of rain. I love it!

Sylvia
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    Today's joke is about marriage:

:happy:

Joe had asked Bob to help him out with the deck after work, so Bob just went straight over to Joe's place. When they got to the door, Joe went straight to his wife, gave her a hug and told her how beautiful she was and how much he had missed her at work. When it was time for supper, he complimented his wife on her cooking, kissed her and told her how much he loved her.

Once they were working on the deck, Bob told Joe that he was surprised that he fussed so much over his wife. Joe said that he'd started this about six months ago, it had revived their marriage, and things couldn't be better. Bob thought he'd give it a go. When he got home, he gave his wife a massive hug, kissed her and told her that he loved her. His wife burst into tears.

Bob was confused and asked why she was crying. She said, "This is the worst day of my life. First, little Billy fell off his bike and twisted his ankle. Then, the washing machine broke and flooded the basement. And now, you come home drunk!"

:laugh:
  • arlenedickson
    Options
    Hi. I just heard about this site yesterday from a friend at work. It seems like exactly what I have been looking for in both information and support. I lost a lot of the weight but feel stuck with 30 lbs to go. At 59+ I would like to try to get as healthy as possible. Looking forward to getting to know all of you. Arlene
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,719 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~ today has been a busy day.. just sitting down now..
    went over to see Karen at the nursery and brought her some Heron stuff which she loved..
    I also met her sister and we talked for about 40 minutes..we have so much in common
    Karen makes soaps and lotions and 20% of the proceeds go to a fund named for her mom who passed away of cancer 5 yrs ago.. both there mom and mine died at the age of 65, and we both know that our mom;s come back to us as Great Blue Herons
    she co owns the nursery and raises alpaca's and her farm is called Blue Heron Farm:bigsmile:
    I bought some of the lotion and soaps and gave some to my DSIL , and went to see my friend who is my hairdresser, bought her a mini orchid,she does so well with them, and brought her some lotion and soap too.
    did a load of my DFIL laundry and brought that down and gave him a couple of cookies and he polished off a piece of lemon meringue pie...
    I am picking up his sisters that live about an hr, and an hr and a half away thursday and bringing them up to see Buddy..Neither of them are in the greatest of health and I want them to see that he is being taken care of..
    in between all of that I got out and mowed the lawn and took a shower...
    will take the boys for another walk and I will be done for the night...
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Today is my last weight check-in for the month of April - I check-in on Sunday mornings just to start the week-off on a good foot!

Here are my April Goals

1. Walk the dog at least five mornings each week.
    2. Release at least 5 pounds.
    3. Remember that I must take special care of myself!

Here are my results

1. Storm is really enjoying our walks.:bigsmile: I have managed to do this even on morning when I go to the gym first. He is really buffing up!:tongue: I am enjoying the tranquility before starting my day

2. So So :happy: HAPPY:happy: to report that I released 11.2 pounds this month. Did you get that!? 11.2 pounds.:bigsmile:

3. I am remembering every day that I am special!:flowerforyou:

Thanks To You Ladies! I could not have done this without your encouragement, laughter, and reading ears!:heart:

Tere
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Add mu husband to the list of unsocialized males. He won't go out with any other couple unless they are already friends. He has 2 good friends and wives that are his Karaoke buddies. Friends I had at work or church were a no no.

Good day at church today. I loved our choir special and everything else. Right now we are in the middle of a big storm. I had the last of my barbeque hamburgers from last Sunday. There was about 1/2 of one and a little bit of the sauce left. So I nuked it then broke it up pretty fine and made it into sloppy joes. So now they are all gone. If the storm quits and my daughter's basement doesn't flood she wants to go to Chili's tonight so I need to go over to their site and see what I can eat. I used to eat their grilled chicken but they also served it with this wonderful corn on the cob. It is normally served pretty heavily peppered but you can ask for it non peppered.

I was getting pretty down about yet another plateau but I posted my picture on face book and got so many wonderful responses and it really helped boost and empower me to keep it up.

Joyce, Indiana