ATKINS DIET

Options

Replies

• RiverRun61
    Options
    Agree with this. LCHF is not for everyone, but if it's what works for your body then go for it. It isn't easy, you have to educate yourself to make sure you get all the macro nutrients you need. I've bounced around a lot and low carb is the only thing that works for me. LCHF is the optimal diet for me. The rest of the struggle is my love affair with food and computer (sitting).
  • betsyboobetsy
    Options
    I'm on Atkins on the 8th will be one month for me.. I have lost 11 pounds and 3 1/2 inches in my stomach, and went done a cup size in breasts so far. I have done this diet before but found out I was doing it all wrong! ( even though i lost weight..) After reading and rereading the book ( not the newer ones but the ones written by Dr Atkins himself ) I find my self with huge energy never hungry ( sometimes I force myself to eat ) and a very very positive attitude!! I'm seeing my body change right before my eyes. Don't get scared if the scale don't move this is normal. Muscle and fat weigh the EXACT same, Muscle is lean and look better under the skin, while fat is deposited in our body differently it looks lumpy and bulgy So when we start drop the fat and we get a smoother leaner appearance and inches go away..Never judge just by the scale. And remember to drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day it helps so much. You can do this!! =))
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Simple answer is this, Which has more calories, a 500cal piece of cake or a 500cal piece of steak. It doesn't matter where they come from, if they're not burned, they're stored as fat. Simple biology 101. The micro nutrients, are you're body's energy source. Most people believe ketosis comes from lack of carbs, but it doesn't. It comes from too much protein. Both carbs and fat are made up of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. Protein adds a fourth atom, nitrogen. Your livers job is to remove the nitrogen atom from the protein so your body can absorb it. Too much protein causes your liver to release ketones, thus requiring more liquid to keep the liver functioning properly. This is why you see a quick weight loss with carb restricted diets, because it basically starts to pull water from the muscles to reduce the damage to the liver. Over time, you can actually cause liver damage. Basically eating too much protein does the same damage to the liver as too much alcohol. It looks like you need to actually increase your calorie intake since you're just eating the bare minimum and exercising almost everyday. You're body has reached homeostasis and doesn't want to give up any more fat.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Oops, not sure what happened! Just could not let this piece of misinformation go. A high protein diet does not cause liver damage ! Many of the other statements in this post are also inaccurate and far from scientific facts.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Simple answer is this, Which has more calories, a 500cal piece of cake or a 500cal piece of steak. It doesn't matter where they come from, if they're not burned, they're stored as fat. Simple biology 101. The micro nutrients, are you're body's energy source. Most people believe ketosis comes from lack of carbs, but it doesn't. It comes from too much protein. Both carbs and fat are made up of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. Protein adds a fourth atom, nitrogen. Your livers job is to remove the nitrogen atom from the protein so your body can absorb it. Too much protein causes your liver to release ketones, thus requiring more liquid to keep the liver functioning properly. This is why you see a quick weight loss with carb restricted diets, because it basically starts to pull water from the muscles to reduce the damage to the liver. Over time, you can actually cause liver damage. Basically eating too much protein does the same damage to the liver as too much alcohol. It looks like you need to actually increase your calorie intake since you're just eating the bare minimum and exercising almost everyday. You're body has reached homeostasis and doesn't want to give up any more fat.

[EDITED TO PUT THIS IN]
    Oops, not sure what happened! Just could not let this piece of misinformation go. A high protein diet does not cause liver damage ! Many of the other statements in this post are also inaccurate and far from scientific facts.

[EDIT: Sorry, I thought you quoted because you agreed with the quoted text. I'm leaving my original comments, but they clearly don't apply.]

I don't know why you're quoting this when the science is demonstrably false. Ketosis is not from too much protein. Ketosis can be entered in multiple ways, most of which involve low amounts of protein. Eating large amounts of protein can actually have an anti-ketogenic effect, kicking you out or preventing you from getting into ketosis.

The part about 500 calories being 500 calories, that's mostly true. Very few people would even begin to attempt to make the claim that you can consistently eat over-maintenance and lose weight on a low-carb diet. Everything after that is just not accurate.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want to die of heart disease like Robert Atkins did.

Then be careful of viruses that harm the heart, not to mention slipping and falling on ice and hitting your head. Those were the two true contributors to his 'early' death at age 72, although it's possible, since he responded well to treatment, that the virus wouldn't have killed him without the fall.

Here is what his cardiologist said about Atkins's 2002 heart attack and after his death:

“I was his attending cardiologist at that time. And I made the statement… When we did his angiogram, I mean, the doctor who performed it, said it's pristine for someone that eats his kind of diet… Pristine, meaning these are very clean arteries. I didn't want people to think that his diet caused his heart muscle – it was definitely a documented viral infection.”
    “The man slipped on the ice and had a head injury, so he died. Don't blame his diet.”

Source: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/4327741/ns/dateline_nbc/t/defending-dr-atkins/#.UzqTh_ldVsM

Could his doctor have been lying or simply mistaken? Of course. But is a recent study on low carb diets:

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/diet-fitness/heart/articles/2011/06/02/low-carb-high-fat-diets-may-not-pose-risk-to-arteries

But as the article points out, long term studies are still needed.

Here is an interesting list of study conclusions. The curious should of course trace back to the actual studies, these are just blurbs:

http://authoritynutrition.com/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets/

In any case, you picks your way to lose your weight, or you stay fat, and either way, you takes your chances. But the careful will calculate their odds before picking a method. As best one can, anyway, given that much of the research of diet and health is contradictory, incomplete, underfunded or funded by those with profit motives, affected by the politics of feeding workers cheap, unhealthy, palatable foods that make a lot of profit for industrial producers, and in general is not nearly as well understood as it should be.

I've done plenty of research on this topic. He died of a heart attack. That's why there was an outrage when some of his medical history was released.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    If your doctor advises low carb due to medical issues, fine. Otherwise, Atkins is a silly way to eat. It offers no advantages from a weight loss point of view for most people, and it comes with significant disadvantages. Poor exercise performance and possible micro-nutrient deficiencies and low fiber intake from avoiding vast swaths of perfectly healthy food are among these disadvantages. But perhaps the most powerful argument is that ice cream is tasty, and I'm totally going to eat it in front of you and tell you how good it tastes.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your ignorant, useless comment.
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options

"When the debate has been lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." - Socrates.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options

"When the debate has been lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." - Socrates.
    “You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”
    ― Harlan Ellison
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your time.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    If your doctor advises low carb due to medical issues, fine. Otherwise, Atkins is a silly way to eat. It offers no advantages from a weight loss point of view for most people, and it comes with significant disadvantages. Poor exercise performance and possible micro-nutrient deficiencies and low fiber intake from avoiding vast swaths of perfectly healthy food are among these disadvantages. But perhaps the most powerful argument is that ice cream is tasty, and I'm totally going to eat it in front of you and tell you how good it tastes.

That's a fantastic response - now the studies to back it up please!
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”
    ― Harlan Ellison

Are you on the Atkins diet? Is that how you lost your hair? Just wondering since it's one of the reported side effects from a study done of people that were on the diet.
  • MrGonzo05
    Options

I just completed a study the other day on the tastiness of ice cream. Results: it's tasty.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options

― Harlan Ellison

Actually Robert Atkin did have a heart attack, CHF and hypertension (Diagnosed in April 2002). However; it's unknown whether that was the orgin of his fall that resulted in the head injury that killed him and even if it was, there was never an autopsy done. The guy was 72 for God's sake.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/doctor/atkins.asp
    http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/diet-myths-examining-dr-atkins-deathupdated.html
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

I just completed a study the other day on the tastiness of ice cream. Results: it's tasty.

I'll take that as a no then. Derpedy derp!!!!

I also did a study on Ice Cream - result - it blows chunks!! Mines peer reviewed, is yours?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

― Harlan Ellison

Are you on the Atkins diet? Is that how you lost your hair? Just wondering since it's one of the reported side effects from a study done of people that were on the diet.

Are you a veggie, because you cannot stand up straight - that's a side effect of too much fruit!
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Anything that ends in "diet" is probably not a great choice of action

Think permanent lifestyle change, changing eating habits, adopting better lifestyle choices

Unless your ultimate goal is to end up looking for another diet because you have lost and gained AGAIN.. I would suggest you re-think your strategy IMO
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Anything that ends in "diet" is probably not a great choice of action

Think permanent lifestyle change, changing eating habits, adopting better lifestyle choices

Unless your ultimate goal is to end up looking for another diet because you have lost and gained AGAIN.. I would suggest you re-think your strategy IMO

So you mean eat a healthy diet, or like IIFYM (moderation) eat a flexible diet.
  • MrGonzo05
    Options

I'll take that as a no then. Derpedy derp!!!!

I also did a study on Ice Cream - result - it blows chunks!! Mines peer reviewed, is yours?

You should avoid Cherry Garcia in the future. A cute name doesn't mean tasty.