ATKINS DIET

Options
12346»

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Anything that ends in "diet" is probably not a great choice of action

Your diet is what you eat. That's why we have dietitians - they aren't devoted to weight loss.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    If your doctor advises low carb due to medical issues, fine. Otherwise, Atkins is a silly way to eat. It offers no advantages from a weight loss point of view for most people, and it comes with significant disadvantages. Poor exercise performance and possible micro-nutrient deficiencies and low fiber intake from avoiding vast swaths of perfectly healthy food are among these disadvantages. But perhaps the most powerful argument is that ice cream is tasty, and I'm totally going to eat it in front of you and tell you how good it tastes.

That's a fantastic response - now the studies to back it up please!

I just completed a study the other day on the tastiness of ice cream. Results: it's tasty.

I'll take that as a no then. Derpedy derp!!!!

I also did a study on Ice Cream - result - it blows chunks!! Mines peer reviewed, is yours?

You should avoid Cherry Garcia in the future. A cute name doesn't mean tasty.

It was chunky monkey!!!!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want to die of heart disease like Robert Atkins did.
    Thanks for your ignorant, useless comment.

"When the debate has been lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." - Socrates.
    “You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”
    ― Harlan Ellison

Are you on the Atkins diet? Is that how you lost your hair? Just wondering since it's one of the reported side effects from a study done of people that were on the diet.
    No I'm not actually but I hate stupidity and ignorance like you're demonstrating. I also like how you changed your profile to private after making that chicken sh1t comment, but I already saw your pics earlier. A man that weighs 134 lbs means he's vertically challenged which is probably a side effect of sucking a momma's titty for too long as a child.

I'll take less hair over being a midget any day.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    They must be talking about the raw weight of the protein not the actual amount of grams of protein in a piece of meat/protein source. So about 120g raw weight of chicken breast contains about 30g (need to check can't remember off-hand) actual protein. You should consume at least 120-150g actual protein. Whatever suits.

thanks soo much ! :)

Here is a site which will help you calculate how many grams of protein you need. Hope this helps.

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com
  • Jackay214
    Options
    Hi, I'm a firm believer in the low carb lifestyle. I lost 40 lbs on the Atkins diet years ago. I stayed with the lifestyle for about 2 years and never felt better. The problem was, when I did introduce carbs back into my diet, I couldnt get enough of them and I gained weight back faster than losing it. I lost control. Not a good thing.
    Anyway, after years of yo-yo dieting, I'm back to Atkins, and feeling so much better after only 3 days in. It really is a lifestyle change.
    The best advice to you would be to buy the book and read how carbohydrates process in your body, and how we are so much better without so much of them in our diet.
    Everyone has a diet lifestyle that works for them. I think alot has to do with how your body processes foods. We are all so different with our preferences.
    Good luck.
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I started January 31st and working great for me!
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Dr. Atkins died of Kidney disease and not Heart disease.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I tried it a few times. Each time I had a headache for the entire three weeks, and the deprivation made me want to go binge eat everything in sight. I very much prefer the South Beach Diet. It is something I can do for life.
  • CharleeCali
    CharleeCali Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I lost 35 lbs. and kept it off for 3 years (then I was laid off and everything went south). I love meat and cheese, so it was a good fit.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I did it in 2006 and lost over 30 pounds...never gained it back and over the years I have slowly added more and more carbs into my diet..:flowerforyou:
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options

Then be careful of viruses that harm the heart, not to mention slipping and falling on ice and hitting your head. Those were the two true contributors to his 'early' death at age 72, although it's possible, since he responded well to treatment, that the virus wouldn't have killed him without the fall.

Here is what his cardiologist said about Atkins's 2002 heart attack and after his death:

“I was his attending cardiologist at that time. And I made the statement… When we did his angiogram, I mean, the doctor who performed it, said it's pristine for someone that eats his kind of diet… Pristine, meaning these are very clean arteries. I didn't want people to think that his diet caused his heart muscle – it was definitely a documented viral infection.”
    “The man slipped on the ice and had a head injury, so he died. Don't blame his diet.”

Source: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/4327741/ns/dateline_nbc/t/defending-dr-atkins/#.UzqTh_ldVsM

Could his doctor have been lying or simply mistaken? Of course. But is a recent study on low carb diets:

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/diet-fitness/heart/articles/2011/06/02/low-carb-high-fat-diets-may-not-pose-risk-to-arteries

But as the article points out, long term studies are still needed.

Here is an interesting list of study conclusions. The curious should of course trace back to the actual studies, these are just blurbs:

http://authoritynutrition.com/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets/

In any case, you picks your way to lose your weight, or you stay fat, and either way, you takes your chances. But the careful will calculate their odds before picking a method. As best one can, anyway, given that much of the research of diet and health is contradictory, incomplete, underfunded or funded by those with profit motives, affected by the politics of feeding workers cheap, unhealthy, palatable foods that make a lot of profit for industrial producers, and in general is not nearly as well understood as it should be.

I've done plenty of research on this topic. He died of a heart attack. That's why there was an outrage when some of his medical history was released.

I did read about his medical history being released and attempted to track down a reliable source claiming he died of a heart attack RELATED TO HIS DIET and not to a virus or his slip and fall, but I found nothing. I don't suppose you have a link?
  • CatWhispererrrr
    CatWhispererrrr Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are gaining muscle? Have you been tracking measurements or body fat?
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Good damn grief with the agendas here.

Dr. Robert Atkins didn't die from a heart attack. He died from a fall.

The year before he had a heart attack, not rooted from poor heart health due to his diet, but because of a long time infection he'd been fighting. In fact his doctor took to the press to clarify that he was surprised at how healthy Atkin's heart was, especially considering his diet.

He weighed 190 something pounds when he slipped on the ice, but due to fluid retention while in the hospital, he gained dozens of pounds of water and fluid weight. His wife released the medical files to the public, showing his weight upon entry in the hospital and upon his death.

He was an over 70 year old man in great health who fought a vicious infection, survived a heart attack, but was ultimately taken out by a random accident.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your ignorant, useless comment.

"When the debate has been lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." - Socrates.
    “You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”
    ― Harlan Ellison

Are you on the Atkins diet? Is that how you lost your hair? Just wondering since it's one of the reported side effects from a study done of people that were on the diet.
    No I'm not actually but I hate stupidity and ignorance like you're demonstrating. I also like how you changed your profile to private after making that chicken sh1t comment, but I already saw your pics earlier. A man that weighs 134 lbs means he's vertically challenged which is probably a side effect of sucking a momma's titty for too long as a child.

I'll take less hair over being a midget any day.

Or he could be 14 and not hit his growth spurt yet. A possibility.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Dr. Atkins died of Kidney disease and not Heart disease.

No he didnt. He died from head trauma as the result of a fall. See my above post with sources listed.

One more time...he died as the result of injuries sustained from a fall; however, he had a heart attack in April of 2002 and suffered from CHF (congestive heart failure for you non-medical professionals out there) and hypertension (high blood pressure). So the guywho originally posted that he had heart problems was correct but incorrect in saying he died as a result of heart disease..