Over 50 ladies - how did you finally lose the weight?

Options
What was the number one thing that worked for you

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    same thing that works for everyone else. calorie deficit.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Eating the right amount of calories and increasing activity just a little bit.
  • mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    You are clearly not a woman over 50.
  • mrsgoodwine
    Options
    Bump
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating so much.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I am, and I've lost 42 pounds.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I am 62. The same way everyone else loses, by eating less calories than my body burns.
    I did not begin to exercise until I had lost 90#. At that time I began by taking short walks.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Age is really irrelevant to everything but your BMR or TDEE.
    Otherwise, it's the same for everyone - a calorie deficit, and only a calorie deficit.
    Good luck.
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options

A consistent calorie deficit.
  • deksgrl
    Options

No, but he is absolutely correct, it is the only thing that works, for anyone.
  • mrsgoodwine
    Options
    Yes, I am aware of calories in and calories out. I am looking specifically for over 50 and post menopausal. I never had an issue losing by just creating a calorie deficiency - except now. The same things that worked for me then are not working for me now. Just wondered if anyone is doing anything different. More workouts, clean eating, vitamins - that sort of thing.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am aware of calories in and calories out. I am looking specifically for over 50 and post menopausal. I never had an issue losing by just creating a calorie deficiency - except now. The same things that worked for me then are not working for me now. Just wondered if anyone is doing anything different. More workouts, clean eating, vitamins - that sort of thing.
    same as before. appropriate calorie deficit.
  • deksgrl
    Options

What I'm doing different is eating at a small calorie deficit, lifting heavy weights and getting adequate protein, to preserve lean body mass as I get older. I'm focusing more on cutting fat than on losing weight. This is an alternative to eating crazy low always on a diet and banging head against the wall because I can't lose that last 8 pounds. I am a lot happier with my body now than I was 7 years ago when I was 15 pounds lighter but had a comparatively higher body fat %.
  • mrsgoodwine
    Options

What I'm doing different is eating at a small calorie deficit, lifting heavy weights and getting adequate protein, to preserve lean body mass as I get older. I'm focusing more on cutting fat than on losing weight. This is an alternative to eating crazy low always on a diet and banging head against the wall because I can't lose that last 8 pounds. I am a lot happier with my body now than I was 7 years ago when I was 15 pounds lighter but had a comparatively higher body fat %.

Thanks, deksgrl. I've always done cardio and I was just thinking the other day about adding strength training. I don't worry about bulking up so I would be okay with lifting heavy in addition to a calorie deficiency. For the record, I only have about 10 pounds to lose and they are hanging on for dear life.
  • walk757
    walk757 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Tracking, tracking and tracking. Eating healthier and adding strength training instead of just cardio. I love to walk but I know I need to maintain muscle after 50. Good luck!
  • mrsgoodwine
    Options
    Tracking, tracking and tracking. Eating healthier and adding strength training instead of just cardio. I love to walk but I know I need to maintain muscle after 50. Good luck!
    Yes, I do need to track better - most definitely. Thanks!
  • deksgrl
    Options

Thanks, deksgrl. I've always done cardio and I was just thinking the other day about adding strength training. I don't worry about bulking up so I would be okay with lifting heavy in addition to a calorie deficiency. For the record, I only have about 10 pounds to lose and they are hanging on for dear life.

You will not bulk, it is extremely difficult for women to bulk. Any "bulky" women you see worked really hard to get that way on purpose, it won't happen otherwise.
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I use MFP and work out quite a lot (at least 60 minutes per day). I like variety in my working out so I do water aerobics, Zumba, strength training and yoga - mixed up throughout the week. I know if I were eating at this deficit and exercising this much before menopause I would most likely be losing at twice the rate. It seems like after menopause our bodies really go into "survive by hanging on to every calorie" mode.