Over 50 ladies - how did you finally lose the weight?

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    First, ignore the trolls who lay in wait to say snarky things on any thread on any iteration of "why isn't the weight moving?" Your question has attracted one or two of them here--these people pop up over and over to say the same unkind things on every thread of this nature.
    Trolls? Really?

I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

People answered her question honestly.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I am 55, post menopausal, have lost 70 pounds and maintaining nicely. Key for me was weighing my food and staying on target. I do workout. I will say the last 10 pounds took longer to lose than the first 40. The less you have to lose, the more patience you need.

I actually found it to be easier to lose without the monthly hormonal fluctuations. I am also the gatekeeper to all food that comes in the house, that really helped. I cook simple meals, heavy toward plant foods, with reasonable portions of lean fish, fowl, and meat. I use little convenience foods, with the exception of canned beans, diced green chilies. I try hard to find the low sodium versions. I don't eat low carb per se, but do limit them, they are pretty pricey calorie wise.

I may try and lose an additional 5 pounds, as at our age, we get that little extra bit of fat around our abdomens. If I don't it's ok, I look pretty freaking awesome.

Good luck, be patient, stick with it.
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am aware of calories in and calories out. I am looking specifically for over 50 and post menopausal. I never had an issue losing by just creating a calorie deficiency - except now. The same things that worked for me then are not working for me now. Just wondered if anyone is doing anything different. More workouts, clean eating, vitamins - that sort of thing.

Workouts: I didn't work out at all (other than walking the dog) for the first 6 months. I still lost 79 lbs. This year I've added light cardio, Pilates, hand weights and stretching. Lost another another 22 since the first of the year.

"Clean" eating: Not for me. I spent years cooking for a family and I don't want to cook any more. We do grill a lot during the summer (chicken, fish mostly). Dinners consist of a prepared meal from Trader Joe's (turkey meatloaf, chicken piccata, salmon) and a big green salad or veggie. I eat out a few times a week, but I always look at the menu online ahead of time, log my meal and then make the rest of the day fit. I try to hit my macros as a weekly average and I consistently stay within my calorie goal.

Vitamins: I take a multivitamin, calcium, vitamin D and magnesium. None are for weight loss.
  • mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    None of that stuff worked for me. I had been eating a deficit for months and working out and my body held onto the fat.
    I was insulin resistant.
    I moved to PSMF and then tailored it to my own body. I fasted as long as I could each day min 16 hours, and then ate in a 6 hour window only.

It stands for protein sparing modified fast.
    Basically it forces your body to burn the fat off you and to reset your hormones (insulin is a hormone) sex drive everything.
    Because you are eating a lot of protein (and that's about it aside from veggies) you don't lose muscle.
    It was the ONLY thing that worked for me.
    I did weights, sprinting, walked several times a day and rode a bike and nothing moved until I tried this.

It teaches you some valuable lessons about your body, and gives you extreme control when you had none.
    My hormones were whacked.
    Works great for stubborn areas. You can do clean carbs after a workout when you get close to your goals.
    Google search and learn.
    Yes, and this is why it isn't always about calories in calories out. Hormones can really push you out of wack. Thanks for your post :)
  • mrsgoodwine
    Options
    I've spammed this in hundreds of threads... I figured it was about time to give this info a permanent home.

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

...and here's another approach.

Block off 6 weeks. log EXACTLY what you eat for those six weeks, weigh at the beginning, weight at the end. If you've lost, you're eating under your TDEE. If you haven't lost, congrats.. you found your TDEE, if you've gained... then you're above TDEE.

From there, look at how much you lost or gained and you have a rough estimate of how to shift your intake to balance it out.

Online calculators are great, but they're just estimates. They give you decent ideas for starting points. From there, it's on you to fine tune it.

I love this and I love you!! This is awesome. Thank you so much for posting. I especially like "Block off 6 weeks. log EXACTLY what you eat for those six weeks, weigh at the beginning, weight at the end. If you've lost, you're eating under your TDEE. If you haven't lost, congrats.. you found your TDEE, if you've gained... then you're above TDEE."
    you know a guy wrote that, right?

give you two guesses who...

xFavcfz.gif

so is it valid advice now? since a guy under 50 wrote it?
    It's valid because it came from a place of love and peace. Your advice came from a "what are you stupid" place. At least that's the way it made me feel. You can call me hypersensitive, but you really should consider your audience. Not everyone wants to be beat over the head, and frankly I don't need to be beat over the head." I will never appreciate advice that comes to me that way. I'm not saying that your advice isn't valid - it just didn't give me what I needed.
  • MsGoblin
    MsGoblin Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Helpful, thoughtful and kind...we need more of your type around here.

Thanks for the validation that things ARE different once your cycles are sporadic or non-existent.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I've spammed this in hundreds of threads... I figured it was about time to give this info a permanent home.

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")

pretty much that.

4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Block off 6 weeks. log EXACTLY what you eat for those six weeks, weigh at the beginning, weight at the end. If you've lost, you're eating under your TDEE. If you haven't lost, congrats.. you found your TDEE, if you've gained... then you're above TDEE.

From there, look at how much you lost or gained and you have a rough estimate of how to shift your intake to balance it out.

Online calculators are great, but they're just estimates. They give you decent ideas for starting points. From there, it's on you to fine tune it.

I love this and I love you!! This is awesome. Thank you so much for posting. I especially like "Block off 6 weeks. log EXACTLY what you eat for those six weeks, weigh at the beginning, weight at the end. If you've lost, you're eating under your TDEE. If you haven't lost, congrats.. you found your TDEE, if you've gained... then you're above TDEE."

xFavcfz.gif

It's valid because it came from a place of love and peace. Your advice came from a "what are you stupid" place. At least that's the way it made me feel. You can call me hypersensitive, but you really should consider your audience. Not everyone wants to be beat over the head, and frankly I don't need to be beat over the head." I will never appreciate advice that comes to me that way. I'm not saying that your advice isn't valid - it just didn't give me what I needed.

you discounted my advice because I wasn't a woman over fifty.

then you take the same advice from others, and applaud them. The huge quoted post up there? I wrote that.

weight loss is a math equation. it's eating less than your TDEE.,, which, in short, is a calorie deficit.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • mrsgoodwine
    Options

14 BE PATIENT.

pretty much that.

xFavcfz.gif

you discounted my advice because I wasn't a woman over fifty.

then you take the same advice from others, and applaud them. The huge quoted post up there? I wrote that.

weight loss is a math equation. it's eating less than your TDEE.,, which, in short, is a calorie deficit.
    I did not discount your advice - I never said it wasn't valid. I was just looking for more suggestions other than the obvious "calorie deficit." Yes, I wanted advice from women my age and that's what I asked for. You gave me an obvious answer with no other suggestions. So I ask you, if you wrote that huge post, why didn't you send me that? I would have really appreciated it. Is it because you are sick of people asking and you have gotten lazy in your response? If that's the case, than you shouldn't be responding.
  • Luv2Smile55
    Luv2Smile55 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    What was the number one thing that worked for you
    same thing that works for everyone else. calorie deficit.
    You are clearly not a woman over 50.

Amen! NO way ANY woman over 50 would make that remark :huh:
  • trogalicious
    Options
    I did not discount your advice - I never said it wasn't valid. I was just looking for more suggestions other than the obvious "calorie deficit." Yes, I wanted advice from women my age and that's what I asked for. You gave me an obvious answer with no other suggestions. So I ask you, if you wrote that huge post, why didn't you send me that? I would have really appreciated it. Is it because you are sick of people asking and you have gotten lazy in your response? If that's the case, than you shouldn't be responding.

your first response to me was:

immediately discounting my post since I wasn't a woman over 50.

maybe consider your own responses when you ask a general question that has a simple response.

you assumed that weight loss for women over 50 was somehow magically different.
  • mrolloff
    mrolloff Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've followed the HMR program. I lost the majority on Decision Free and have now transitioned to Healthy Solutions to finish up. Not easy (what is??) but well worth it.
  • mrsgoodwine
    Options

maybe consider your own responses when you ask a general question that has a simple response.

Let's agree to disagree. Please don't respond to anymore of my posts.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

lolwut?

Because Science.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    There is an ignore button right over there
    <<

Because this is the internet.
  • trogalicious
    Options

you don't understand public forums either.
  • mrsgoodwine
    Options

you don't understand public forums either.
    and you can't take direction. Please go away now.
  • mrsgoodwine
    Options

:flowerforyou:
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Shifting weight in you fifties is tough, due to hormonal changes in your body. Once I lose the weight I am sticking to maintainence diet. Don't mind " turkey neck" as long as I am fit and healthy.
  • scolloby
    scolloby Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm 53. Like everyone else says - cutting the amount of calories I eat but actually it's all in the mind. I'd already lost a stone and a half when I joined myfitnesspal, I joined because I hit a plateau (tmi I know, but this was due to my digestion slowing down due to a hormonal change) but this site does make sure you log everything which helps you watch the balance of nutrients better than I was doing before. Initially I lost weight by cutting out the big offenders for me - cake, chocoloate and cheese. I guess I'm lucky because once I decide I want to be lighter and fitter more than I want the fattening foods I don't have a problem, there's no temptation. The only reason I ever eat badly and allow my self to gain weight is when I've gone through a period of depressive thinking and my self-esteem is low - when I think that I nor anyone else actually gives a **** so why not just eat the comfort food. So for me I would say primarily it is down to my emotional health.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    "You are clearly not a woman over 50."

Hahah! I hear that! The amount I can eat now without gaining weight is MUCH smaller than it was when I was 40! For me, counting & logging precise calories is helping (even on days I eat more than I should)/ I see now that I was eating about 50% more calories every day than my body needs to maintain a stable weight.

I've been lifting weights and walking (every day that it isn't raining or snowing!) and I'm trying to be more active in general. Instead of walking up and down the stairs, I take them at a trot. If I have to bend over to pick up something from the floor, I do a few squats while I'm at it.

In general I have a whole new attitude about food, and what it means to me. It's a fuel - not a reward, or a comfort, or a contest.