Over 50 ladies - how did you finally lose the weight?

Options

Replies

• Barbsunshine7
    Barbsunshine7 Posts: 2,693 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am aware of calories in and calories out. I am looking specifically for over 50 and post menopausal. I never had an issue losing by just creating a calorie deficiency - except now. The same things that worked for me then are not working for me now. Just wondered if anyone is doing anything different. More workouts, clean eating, vitamins - that sort of thing.

I understand where you're coming from. I am 53 and ever since having a hysterectomy due to cervical cancer, it's been extremely hard to lose weight.
  • roosevelt
    roosevelt Posts: 10
    Options
    Wow!! There is a lot of great information on this thread! I always am so thankful and amazed at all the great people who share information and help others!!

While I'm not over 50 and am 46 almost 47, I feel that over the last couple years it has been trial and error and experimentation that has helped me the most. You are going to see changes in how your body responds as you get older and need to adapt to those changes. While I believe that these changes are somewhat related to hormones, I don't necessarily believe that it is the whole picture. What worked for me even 5 months ago doesn't necessarily work for me now.

That being said, I've personally found the most success with having a good lifting program and also incorporating cardio and making sure to stay within my calorie goals. For the most part, I eat at maintenance but sometimes need to change that up for a short period of time and eat at a slight deficit for a while. I also try to eat as well as I can, take vitamins, and continue to work with my doctor with bioidentical hormones, which I find to be very helpful. But, as I stated, for me and I'm guessing a lot of people it is trial and error and experimentation, as obviously not everyone is the same.
  • mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I'm 53. Like everyone else says - cutting the amount of calories I eat but actually it's all in the mind. I'd already lost a stone and a half when I joined myfitnesspal, I joined because I hit a plateau (tmi I know, but this was due to my digestion slowing down due to a hormonal change) but this site does make sure you log everything which helps you watch the balance of nutrients better than I was doing before. Initially I lost weight by cutting out the big offenders for me - cake, chocoloate and cheese. I guess I'm lucky because once I decide I want to be lighter and fitter more than I want the fattening foods I don't have a problem, there's no temptation. The only reason I ever eat badly and allow my self to gain weight is when I've gone through a period of depressive thinking and my self-esteem is low - when I think that I nor anyone else actually gives a **** so why not just eat the comfort food. So for me I would say primarily it is down to my emotional health.
    This is solid. The emotional is a big part of it.
  • mrsgoodwine
    Options
    "You are clearly not a woman over 50."

Hahah! I hear that! The amount I can eat now without gaining weight is MUCH smaller than it was when I was 40! For me, counting & logging precise calories is helping (even on days I eat more than I should)/ I see now that I was eating about 50% more calories every day than my body needs to maintain a stable weight.

I've been lifting weights and walking (every day that it isn't raining or snowing!) and I'm trying to be more active in general. Instead of walking up and down the stairs, I take them at a trot. If I have to bend over to pick up something from the floor, I do a few squats while I'm at it.

In general I have a whole new attitude about food, and what it means to me. It's a fuel - not a reward, or a comfort, or a contest.

"Fuel" not a "reward." Love this.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Please don't respond to anymore of my posts.
    and you can't take direction. Please go away now.

I have lost a good amount of weight following the advice of this man in his 30s you so rudely dismissed and demanded not post in a public forum.

But I'm only 49, what do I know? I guess the weight loss will magically stop next year when I hit 50.

Just because you started this post doesn't mean you own it - it's public, and anyone is free to add their 2 cents. If you don't want to hear from him, there's an "ignore" button on everyone's profile, under the photo. Your loss.
  • mrsgoodwine
    Options
    Yes, I am aware of calories in and calories out. I am looking specifically for over 50 and post menopausal. I never had an issue losing by just creating a calorie deficiency - except now. The same things that worked for me then are not working for me now. Just wondered if anyone is doing anything different. More workouts, clean eating, vitamins - that sort of thing.

I understand where you're coming from. I am 53 and ever since having a hysterectomy due to cervical cancer, it's been extremely hard to lose weight.

So sorry about your cervical cancer. Yes, so hard to lose, but I have gotten some really great advice here and some awesome support. Thanks for your post. :smile:
  • mrsgoodwine
    Options
    Please don't respond to anymore of my posts.

I have lost a good amount of weight following the advice of this man in his 30s you so rudely dismissed and demanded not post in a public forum.

But I'm only 49, what do I know? I guess the weight loss will magically stop next year when I hit 50.

Just because you started this post doesn't mean you own it - it's public, and anyone is free to add their 2 cents. If you don't want to hear from him, there's an "ignore" button on everyone's profile, under the photo. Your loss.
    Thanks for letting me know about the ignore button. I don't post that often so I wasn't aware. I don't mind hearing from him. I am just not here to argue and he would not let it go.
  • mrsgoodwine
    Options
    Wow!! There is a lot of great information on this thread! I always am so thankful and amazed at all the great people who share information and help others!!

While I'm not over 50 and am 46 almost 47, I feel that over the last couple years it has been trial and error and experimentation that has helped me the most. You are going to see changes in how your body responds as you get older and need to adapt to those changes. While I believe that these changes are somewhat related to hormones, I don't necessarily believe that it is the whole picture. What worked for me even 5 months ago doesn't necessarily work for me now.

That being said, I've personally found the most success with having a good lifting program and also incorporating cardio and making sure to stay within my calorie goals. For the most part, I eat at maintenance but sometimes need to change that up for a short period of time and eat at a slight deficit for a while. I also try to eat as well as I can, take vitamins, and continue to work with my doctor with bioidentical hormones, which I find to be very helpful. But, as I stated, for me and I'm guessing a lot of people it is trial and error and experimentation, as obviously not everyone is the same.
    Great advice!
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I did not discount your advice - I never said it wasn't valid. I was just looking for more suggestions other than the obvious "calorie deficit." Yes, I wanted advice from women my age and that's what I asked for. You gave me an obvious answer with no other suggestions. So I ask you, if you wrote that huge post, why didn't you send me that? I would have really appreciated it. Is it because you are sick of people asking and you have gotten lazy in your response? If that's the case, than you shouldn't be responding.

your first response to me was:
    What was the number one thing that worked for you
    same thing that works for everyone else. calorie deficit.
    You are clearly not a woman over 50.

immediately discounting my post since I wasn't a woman over 50.

maybe consider your own responses when you ask a general question that has a simple response.

you assumed that weight loss for women over 50 was somehow magically different.
    Let's agree to disagree. Please don't respond to anymore of my posts.
    you don't understand public forums either.

:laugh: You got some really amazing advice and it was HIS advice, presented by a different member. Your OP wasn't an explanation of how you've had success with a calorie deficit and then you hit menopause or 50 or whatever and now it's not working. You asked for the #1 thing that has worked for women over 50, PERIOD, end of story. He answered you.

Had you responded in a light hearted way explaining that you've tried that and it's not working anymore, you probably would have gotten a heartfelt and helpful response. Instead you blew him off and you're now bent out of shape about being called out on your bad attitude. Trog is one of the most helpful people on this site and NOT lazy in his replies. His reply was only as lazy as your question, OP. Good luck with your fitness goals and navigating the forums with a chip on your shoulder.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I did not discount your advice - I never said it wasn't valid. I was just looking for more suggestions other than the obvious "calorie deficit." Yes, I wanted advice from women my age and that's what I asked for. You gave me an obvious answer with no other suggestions. So I ask you, if you wrote that huge post, why didn't you send me that? I would have really appreciated it. Is it because you are sick of people asking and you have gotten lazy in your response? If that's the case, than you shouldn't be responding.

maybe consider your own responses when you ask a general question that has a simple response.

I don't agree that it's acceptable to allow a claim that weight loss for women over 50 is magically different and doesn't require a calorie deficit.
  • mrsgoodwine
    Options

you don't understand public forums either.

:laugh: You got some really amazing advice and it was HIS advice, presented by a different member. Your OP wasn't an explanation of how you've had success with a calorie deficit and then you hit menopause or 50 or whatever and now it's not working. You asked for the #1 thing that has worked for women over 50, PERIOD, end of story. He answered you.

Had you responded in a light hearted way explaining that you've tried that and it's not working anymore, you probably would have gotten a heartfelt and helpful response. Instead you blew him off and you're now bent out of shape about being called out on your bad attitude. Trog is one of the most helpful people on this site and NOT lazy in his replies. His reply was only as lazy as your question, OP. Good luck with your fitness goals and navigating the forums with a chip on your shoulder.

"maybe consider your own responses when you ask a general question that has a simple response. "

"you assumed that weight loss for women over 50 was somehow magically different."

Sorry, but I felt that he wasn't here to help me - he was here to argue. What I say stands. He is clearly not a women over 50. I'm sure he has a lot to offer but like I said before, I did not post to argue. I don't have a chip. He could have also come back and light heartedly said, no - "I am not a woman over 50 but here's what I know" and then offered all of the great suggestions that you claim he has offered others in the past instead of the simple response that he initially offered. Sigh, that's the problem with the internet - a lot gets lost in translation.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I walked 2-4 miles a day and lost about 38lbs in 4 months and kept it off for over a year. I have since gained most of it back due to prednisone and health issues, but I'm back at it again.
    Basically, you just have to do what everyone else does to lose weight. Eat fewer calories, eat better food and move more. Sounds easy right? I guess you just have to want it bad enough.
  • MASBonnie
    MASBonnie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi - I understand your question completely. I am a 62 year old woman. I find that I have he best success when I weigh and measure my food and track everything - calories, exercise, water, etc. It was really interesting to me also to look at the breakdown of the calories I was consuming. I was eating the correct number of calories but I was eating the wrong things. Not bad things like cookies, ice cream, etc. but too much fruit. When I switched to more veggies and ate the same number of calories, I saw results. I hope my ideas work for you. Good luck on your journey!
  • mrsgoodwine
    Options
    Hi - I understand your question completely. I am a 62 year old woman. I find that I have he best success when I weigh and measure my food and track everything - calories, exercise, water, etc. It was really interesting to me also to look at the breakdown of the calories I was consuming. I was eating the correct number of calories but I was eating the wrong things. Not bad things like cookies, ice cream, etc. but too much fruit. When I switched to more veggies and ate the same number of calories, I saw results. I hope my ideas work for you. Good luck on your journey!

So for you it just wasn't about a calorie deficient, it was also about what you ate (your calories didn't change). This is exactly what I am talking about. Other variables that may come into play. Thank you.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Exercise. This may be because I have less discipline now, but regardless of the reason, my 50+ yo body is just not as naturally firm as it used to be. Exercise is crucial for looking good now.
  • mrsgoodwine
    Options
    Exercise. This may be because I have less discipline now, but regardless of the reason, my 50+ yo body is just not as naturally firm as it used to be. Exercise is crucial for looking good now.
    Agreed.
  • flyygirl802
    flyygirl802 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've spammed this in hundreds of threads... I figured it was about time to give this info a permanent home.

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

...and here's another approach.

Block off 6 weeks. log EXACTLY what you eat for those six weeks, weigh at the beginning, weight at the end. If you've lost, you're eating under your TDEE. If you haven't lost, congrats.. you found your TDEE, if you've gained... then you're above TDEE.

From there, look at how much you lost or gained and you have a rough estimate of how to shift your intake to balance it out.

Online calculators are great, but they're just estimates. They give you decent ideas for starting points. From there, it's on you to fine tune it.

I love this and I love you!! This is awesome. Thank you so much for posting. I especially like "Block off 6 weeks. log EXACTLY what you eat for those six weeks, weigh at the beginning, weight at the end. If you've lost, you're eating under your TDEE. If you haven't lost, congrats.. you found your TDEE, if you've gained... then you're above TDEE."
    you know a guy wrote that, right?

give you two guesses who...

xFavcfz.gif

so is it valid advice now? since a guy under 50 wrote it?

I recognized this as yours immediately and I thought, "Oh Snap! Won't they be shocked when they realize this awesome post with awesome advice originally came from the "perceived" snarky guy under 50" - Personally, of all the advice I have read, I try to follow yours the most because A. It's accurate B. It is what works C. You know your stuff.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

So for you it just wasn't about a calorie deficient, it was also about what you ate (your calories didn't change). This is exactly what I am talking about. Other variables that may come into play. Thank you.

But that isn't necessarily because of age, anyone might need to make that adjustment.
  • mrsgoodwine
    Options
    I've spammed this in hundreds of threads... I figured it was about time to give this info a permanent home.

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

...and here's another approach.

Block off 6 weeks. log EXACTLY what you eat for those six weeks, weigh at the beginning, weight at the end. If you've lost, you're eating under your TDEE. If you haven't lost, congrats.. you found your TDEE, if you've gained... then you're above TDEE.

From there, look at how much you lost or gained and you have a rough estimate of how to shift your intake to balance it out.

Online calculators are great, but they're just estimates. They give you decent ideas for starting points. From there, it's on you to fine tune it.

I love this and I love you!! This is awesome. Thank you so much for posting. I especially like "Block off 6 weeks. log EXACTLY what you eat for those six weeks, weigh at the beginning, weight at the end. If you've lost, you're eating under your TDEE. If you haven't lost, congrats.. you found your TDEE, if you've gained... then you're above TDEE."
    you know a guy wrote that, right?

give you two guesses who...

xFavcfz.gif

so is it valid advice now? since a guy under 50 wrote it?

I recognized this as yours immediately and I thought, "Oh Snap! Won't they be shocked when they realize this awesome post with awesome advice originally came from the "perceived" snarky guy under 50" - Personally, of all the advice I have read, I try to follow yours the most because A. It's accurate B. It is what works C. You know your stuff.

I really don't understand why he just didn't send it to me to begin with, sigh.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Age is really irrelevant to everything but your BMR or TDEE.
    Otherwise, it's the same for everyone - a calorie deficit, and only a calorie deficit.
    Good luck.

This!^

Over 50 here...........

Find your BMR! Mine is lower than I thought. I use a FitBit to find my activity level.....this really helps keep things in perspective. I disagree with it being about what you are eating.....but I do have to be more careful with measuring things. I have less wiggle room than I used to (BMR) and also trying to hang onto muscle.

I lose very slowly.....(my choice) .....I want to keep as much muscle mass as I can.