Tipping Etiquette

Options
RhineDHP
RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
Just curious, when you order food to go from a restaurant, do you still tip when picking up the food? If so, is it reasonable to leave a smaller tip since you didn't actually dine there?

What is standard tipping in your opinion, for good, bad, and poor quality when actually dining out? I hear horror stories from both sides of the card (mostly from the restaurant employees) especially in regards to tipping. For me personally, I usually always tip 20%, unless the service is poor. I have never skipped out on the tip.

Does it vary between the US and the UK? I heard somewhere that you don't leave a tip at all in certain countries. Just want to get people's experiences and feedback. And hey, any horror stories you might want to vent out, I love hearing them.

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,991 Member
    Options
    Yes it is true that you don't have to tip at all in some countries.

Australia is one of them.

Believe it or not, the whole world does not do the same as USA :wink:
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    United States does not require waiters/waitresses to receive minimum wage because of the practice of tipping; it is assumed that the waiter/waitress will receive much of their compensation from the customer. Hence, failure to tip in the USA could potentially deprive the individual their basic livelihood. Some businesses require personnel to declare their tips and if a server does not declare a certain amount, they may be terminated (under the assumption that they are not meeting the customers' needs). The amount of the tip is usually up to the customer and ranges from 10% to 20% typically. Where there are large parties, it is often customary for a business to add the tip to the check as a requirement. It is required by Federal Law to declare tips as income (though I am sure that 100% of the the tips are not declared in practice).
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    It is not expected for you to tip when picking up carryout in the US, but I always leave $2-3 just because someone took the time to prepare and package it for me. I do the same as you for dining in. 20% unless service was very bad for no good reason. If my server was inattentive, he/she was probably bogged down with a lot of customers, so I still tip well. If the restaurant was near empty and my server was still inattentive, I leave 15%. And for drivers who deliver my food, I leave $4-5, no matter the cost of my food.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    do eeeeeeeeeet
  • Macgeek74
    Macgeek74 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    In the US you definitely need to tip even when you do carry out. The reason being is because in most states the servers only make $2.13 and hour and they have to leave their customers to get your order ready. I live in Honolulu and have many server friends and they hate serving here because there are so many people visiting from countries that do not tip so they dont tip here either.. Restaurants here now give out tip guides with the bill. Its not their fault. In there country they dont tip so they dont know.

Here is what makes me mad, I cant stand people who are cheap. Its simple, if you cant tip then dont go out. Also if your food is wrong or overcooked, please dont take it out on the server. They didnt cook your meal, the cook did. If you just would tell the server in a nice way about it then they will want to make it right. Its all about communication. Servers and mangers will want you to be happy. Dont not tip the server cause of the cooks because that server is trying to make a living like you and you not tipping just hurts their kids if they have any.

People dont realize that servers are alway waiting on other tables and trust me, some customers will have them doing stupid special requests so that are gone or away, Just know that you are not perfect at your job so please understand that they are human like you and mistakes can happen. Last thing, tell the churches to talk about tipping. Its all im saying about that one.
  • staplebug
    staplebug Posts: 189
    Options
    I have never not left a tip, but once, I had a terrible waitress who kept my table waiting for 20+ minutes. We were all waiting for our checks so we could get back to a conference, but hadn't seen our waitress and were worried we would be late. Someone else ended up bringing our checks. I left 1 cent because I was so pissed. Some people still leave a tip just to be nice but you are supposed to tip based on service (in US), and if it sucks, then don't leave a tip.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I think it's rude to tip all but your own cows
  • Dill_Dough
    Options
    I like to give her the whole thing.
  • FoxBean
    FoxBean Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I think it's rude to tip all but your own cows

This made me laugh :laugh:
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I'm a waitress and I do not tip on orders to go unless I feel I have been a hassle (extra ketchup, extra mayonnaise, whatever). I often work the to go window but don't expect tips since I'm making my regular pay when not waiting tables. If you do tip, don't feel like you have to tip the average 15-20 percent. It's not necessary.

I am in the minority here (especially since I'm a waitress) but if the service is HORRIBLE, I don't tip (this doesn't include wait staff that is swamped, because I have definitely been there. I'm talking about waiters/waitresses who would rather play Words with Friends as opposed to swinging by my table a time or two.) Otherwise, I tend to tip about 20 percent.

Only horror story that I unfortunately keep reliving in the dreaded verbal tip. DO NOT compliment my service and then not tip. Compliments do not pay my bills.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm a waitress and I do not tip on orders to go unless I feel I have been a hassle (extra ketchup, extra mayonnaise, whatever). I often work the to go window but don't expect tips since I'm making my regular pay when not waiting tables. If you do tip, don't feel like you have to tip the average 15-20 percent. It's not necessary.

I am in the minority here (especially since I'm a waitress) but if the service is HORRIBLE, I don't tip (this doesn't include wait staff that is swamped, because I have definitely been there. I'm talking about waiters/waitresses who would rather play Words with Friends as opposed to swinging by my table a time or two.) Otherwise, I tend to tip about 20 percent.

Only horror story that I unfortunately keep reliving in the dreaded verbal tip. DO NOT compliment my service and then not tip. Compliments do not pay my bills.
    potato

f1d6819c632b766d39ad5e5df16205ff_view.jpg
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I tip anywhere between 10% and 25% depending on service. If the service is not good I still leave a minimum 10%. If they were absolutely amazing, or if they are a friend of mine (have several friends that are waitresses and I go eat where they work and ask for them intentionally) then I leave 25%.

Sad story: one time, a large group of friends and myself stopped at a Denny's in a town we do not live in to eat. There were 9 of us and we came in around 10pm at night. Our waitress had just come on duty. We were all between 17 and 20 years old and we were a little obnoxious. We weren't bad kids, just a little bit like teenagers. We were there 8 hours and we drank more coffee than should have been allowed us in a year. I still think it is crazy they didn't charge us more for all the coffee we drank. As we were leaving around 6am, the same waitress that had stuck with us and put up with us all night long was just getting off. She was so sweet and so patient :) We drive the 100+ miles home and meet up when we get there (we were in different cars.) We are all talking about the trip we had come home from and our experiences of the weekend and the waitress from that night comes up. As we are all talking, we all come to the realization that every single one of us had neglected to leave a tip!! That woman that had put up with us all night, in a little dumpy Utah town made crap wage that night because we were just about the only customers she had all night. We called up the restaurant and tried to see if the manager would charge a card over the phone to tip the waitress (no such luck!) After trying everything else we could think of, we asked when the waitress would be working again. Luckily, the manager agreed to give us this information. 2 days later, 3 of us jumped in a car and drove the 100+ miles back up to Denny's and sat in her section. We pretended not to recognize her from before (although, I have no idea how she could believe we could possibly forget her) and ordered a coffee each. We sat there about 30 minutes, just drinking coffee and talking, waiting to see if she said anything or treated us differently. She was as sweet as ever, very attentive and never said a word. We left without saying anything. When she arrived at the table, she found a card (that had been signed by the 9 of us that were there the first night) in a sealed envelope with $200 cash. She ran outside and caught us before we drove off and gave us all a hug :)
  • RhineDHP
    Options

_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.png

haha I jest.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    I tip anywhere between 10% and 25% depending on service. If the service is not good I still leave a minimum 10%. If they were absolutely amazing, or if they are a friend of mine (have several friends that are waitresses and I go eat where they work and ask for them intentionally) then I leave 25%.

Sad story: one time, a large group of friends and myself stopped at a Denny's in a town we do not live in to eat. There were 9 of us and we came in around 10pm at night. Our waitress had just come on duty. We were all between 17 and 20 years old and we were a little obnoxious. We weren't bad kids, just a little bit like teenagers. We were there 8 hours and we drank more coffee than should have been allowed us in a year. I still think it is crazy they didn't charge us more for all the coffee we drank. As we were leaving around 6am, the same waitress that had stuck with us and put up with us all night long was just getting off. She was so sweet and so patient :) We drive the 100+ miles home and meet up when we get there (we were in different cars.) We are all talking about the trip we had come home from and our experiences of the weekend and the waitress from that night comes up. As we are all talking, we all come to the realization that every single one of us had neglected to leave a tip!! That woman that had put up with us all night, in a little dumpy Utah town made crap wage that night because we were just about the only customers she had all night. We called up the restaurant and tried to see if the manager would charge a card over the phone to tip the waitress (no such luck!) After trying everything else we could think of, we asked when the waitress would be working again. Luckily, the manager agreed to give us this information. 2 days later, 3 of us jumped in a car and drove the 100+ miles back up to Denny's and sat in her section. We pretended not to recognize her from before (although, I have no idea how she could believe we could possibly forget her) and ordered a coffee each. We sat there about 30 minutes, just drinking coffee and talking, waiting to see if she said anything or treated us differently. She was as sweet as ever, very attentive and never said a word. We left without saying anything. When she arrived at the table, she found a card (that had been signed by the 9 of us that were there the first night) in a sealed envelope with $200 cash. She ran outside and caught us before we drove off and gave us all a hug :)

that's a really sweet little anecdote. :flowerforyou:
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options

When we first went to live in the US from Australia tipping caused us so much stress. How much, when, add to bill or leave on table. It was almost a relief to get home to grumpy wait staff who dont expect a tip and treat you accordingly.
  • RhineDHP
    Options

Aww, that was so sweet of you! She must have been blindsided by that act of kindness. You're truly a wonderful person! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,991 Member
    Options

When we first went to live in the US from Australia tipping caused us so much stress. How much, when, add to bill or leave on table. It was almost a relief to get home to grumpy wait staff who dont expect a tip and treat you accordingly.

I haven't been to USA - but that hasn't been my experience of waitpersons in Australia - most are friendly and attentive.
    and its nice to know people are friendly because they are friendly, not because they are just after extra money.

I found waitpersons in UK friendly and attentive too - and tipping, whilst not non-existent there, is nowhere near as entrenched as in USA.

Of course, waitpersons in Australia are paid much more reasonable wages to start with.
    Much better system IMO.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

I haven't been to USA - but that hasn't been my experience of waitpersons in Australia - most are friendly and attentive.
    and its nice to know people are friendly because they are friendly, not because they are just after extra money.

I found waitpersons in UK friendly and attentive too - and tipping, whilst not non-existent there, is nowhere near as entrenched as in USA.

Of course, waitpersons in Australia are paid much more reasonable wages to start with.
    Much better system IMO.

I'm American, stubbornly so, but I hate our system of tipping. The whole thing started as a way to ensure prompt service and it's turned into a way for employers to underpay their employees. That said, I'll take upper end restaurants and hotels in the U.S. over any other place on Earth, particularly if I want something out of the norm because someone will actually do what I ask. That said, Australia is one of my favorite places to visit.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    In the UK tipping is generally reserved for food delivery folk, taxi drivers, hair dressers. If you go out for a meal and they bring the bill to the table you generally round it up to tip. There isn't a set 10-20% or anything. If you pay at the bar or till or whatnot some places have a tips pot you can chuck a quid or two in. Restaurants some do pre state that they include a tip within the overall charge already.

It just depends really. Bottom line some people tip some don't but its not expected as such.