Tipping Etiquette

Options

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Mr. Pink: "So is working at McDonald's, but you don't see anyone tip them, do ya? Why not?, they're serving you food. But no, society says don't tip these guys over here, but tip these guys over here. That's bullshlt!"
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I went to Applebee's for their Carside To Go. When we didn't tip, the girl looked at the receipt, then gave us a dirty look, shook her head and went back inside. Which is why I wondered if it was good etiquette to tip for takeout. I'm getting a lot of mixed responses here. But I guess $2 or $3 isn't ---at least for my budget--- pushing it. I don't know, still a little up in the air with that one.
  • PghPensFan69
    PghPensFan69 Posts: 2,393 Member
    Options
    I hate the practice of tipping. I wish employers would just offer a better wage, and tipping be down away with. If it drives up the cost of my mea (or service), so be it.

There is a fricking tip jar at every pizza shop I walk into, even the ones without any seats. Riculous! I am not tipping you for grabbing a box from above the oven and handing it across the counter.
  • page8040
    page8040 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I don't chose whether or not to offer take-out. Some bigger places may have people who get paid more and are strictly in charge of it (i.e. Outback, Chilis, etc.) but at smaller places, it is the responsibility of everyone. And if $4 versus $3 really breaks your bank, you shouldn't be eating out. That's it in a nutshell. Of course servers and lower-income should go out to eat. But if I make the CHOICE to eat out somewhere I can't afford on Thursday, then I guess I sacrifice my Starbucks coffee on Friday or I eat ramen noodles for a meal on Saturday. I don't put someone else's livelihood in jeopardy because I want to eat beyond my means.
  • page8040
    page8040 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    For those of you who say you never tip on a to-go order because it doesn't involve any work -- what do you think, that it miraculously appears all put together for your eating pleasure? I worked in the food service industry for 8 years and I freaking hated to-go orders. On top of my regular guests who were dining in, I had to make to-go drinks, steam bread, wrap it in foil, make a to-go butter, get plastic silverware and napkins, ensure the order was correct, make desserts to-go, stop what I'm doing to run your credit card, get you change, answer your questions, entertain your conversation, etc all while still trying to be attentive to my dining in guests. It doesn't just come pre-packaged out of a vending machine -- someone is still doing the work and it certainly wouldn't kill you to add an additional $2, $3, $4 on. I certainty don't expect 20%, but a little something. It is still a service that is being provided.

The way I view tipping is, tipping is part of the dining out experience. Agree with it or not, that is how it works in the states. If you cannot afford food and a tip, then you cannot afford to eat out. Go through a drive-thru or cook your own meal and save going out for occasions when you can afford both food and tip. And at the end of the day, what is $4 versus $3 to you? Probably very insignificant. But if every table left an extra dollar on top of what they might leave normally, that really adds up at the end of the night for a server who makes $2.13 an hour (actually, much closer to zero dollars an hour once we get taxed). That being said, I do also think that poor service should be of some consequence. But 8 out of 10 times when tables complain, its really a complaint of the kitchen, and yet it gets taken out on us. Of course we chose our profession, no ****. Pilots chose their profession with the hopes that they won't die in a plane crash. Surfers chose their profession and hope that they won't get eaten by sharks. Teachers chose their profession and hope their student doesn't shoot up the school. Bank tellers chose their profession and hope they won't be robbed. Just because we chose a profession doesn't mean we deserve the **** end of the deal.

For all of your who don't tip, I pray that your kids never end up waiting tables and call you crying because they waited on ****s like you and can't make their rent.

Take-out(away) too hard. Don't offer it as a service then.
    Saying 'And at the end of the day, what is $4 versus $3 to you?' is assuming that everyone is rich, that is not the case. Are low waged people or even servers themselves not expected to eat out?

I didn't say take out was too hard. I said it isn't instantaneous. I don't chose whether or not to offer take-out. Some bigger places may have people who get paid more and are strictly in charge of it (i.e. Outback, Chilis, etc.) but at smaller places, it is the responsibility of everyone. And if $4 versus $3 really breaks your bank, you shouldn't be eating out. That's it in a nutshell. Of course servers and lower-income should go out to eat. But if I make the CHOICE to eat out somewhere I can't afford on Thursday, then I guess I sacrifice my Starbucks coffee on Friday or I eat ramen noodles for a meal on Saturday. I don't put someone else's livelihood in jeopardy because I want to eat beyond my means.
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i live and study in China. it's rude if you tip here. they get offended.
    i love living here for that :)
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I tip anywhere between 10% and 25% depending on service. If the service is not good I still leave a minimum 10%. If they were absolutely amazing, or if they are a friend of mine (have several friends that are waitresses and I go eat where they work and ask for them intentionally) then I leave 25%.

Sad story: one time, a large group of friends and myself stopped at a Denny's in a town we do not live in to eat. There were 9 of us and we came in around 10pm at night. Our waitress had just come on duty. We were all between 17 and 20 years old and we were a little obnoxious. We weren't bad kids, just a little bit like teenagers. We were there 8 hours and we drank more coffee than should have been allowed us in a year. I still think it is crazy they didn't charge us more for all the coffee we drank. As we were leaving around 6am, the same waitress that had stuck with us and put up with us all night long was just getting off. She was so sweet and so patient :) We drive the 100+ miles home and meet up when we get there (we were in different cars.) We are all talking about the trip we had come home from and our experiences of the weekend and the waitress from that night comes up. As we are all talking, we all come to the realization that every single one of us had neglected to leave a tip!! That woman that had put up with us all night, in a little dumpy Utah town made crap wage that night because we were just about the only customers she had all night. We called up the restaurant and tried to see if the manager would charge a card over the phone to tip the waitress (no such luck!) After trying everything else we could think of, we asked when the waitress would be working again. Luckily, the manager agreed to give us this information. 2 days later, 3 of us jumped in a car and drove the 100+ miles back up to Denny's and sat in her section. We pretended not to recognize her from before (although, I have no idea how she could believe we could possibly forget her) and ordered a coffee each. We sat there about 30 minutes, just drinking coffee and talking, waiting to see if she said anything or treated us differently. She was as sweet as ever, very attentive and never said a word. We left without saying anything. When she arrived at the table, she found a card (that had been signed by the 9 of us that were there the first night) in a sealed envelope with $200 cash. She ran outside and caught us before we drove off and gave us all a hug :)

That seems ridiculous to someone from the UK. She shouldn't get an additional $200 for doing her job. We wouldn't dream of giving that here. We once went on a big group meal with orchestra, maybe 40 of us. We all had the £10 special meal and paid it in a group, ordering our drinks separately. At the end there was a pot that went round for a tip and most people put in £1 or £2 and there was a £60 tip, the organiser took £40 out and only gave £20 tip, keeping the other £40 for the orchestra. £60 is too much for 2 hours work. For 4 servers that would be an additional £7.50 an hour on top of their £6.19, a ridiculously high wage for serving.

In our group of 24-25 year olds when we go out and order 5-6 x £15-£20 of food we normally leave a £3 tip in total between us. That might seem really cheap to Americans but it adds an extra £1.50 an hour to a wage, loads. No one deserves any more than that. They should do a good service because you go to a restaurant to be served upon, otherwise I would cook at home.

Besides, in the UK, most tips are put into a pot and then split between everyone. And like the other arguements, why does only a server deserve a tip and the cook gets nothing?

I guess I am crazy then. I tip 25% quite a bit and if I use a coupon or a "buy one get one free" deal, I tip on the original amount not the sale total.
    I have a friend, that I eat out with occasionally, whose minimum tip is 50% of the bill - she goes up from there.
  • f1redshoes
    Options
    I'm in the UK, so most people who provide me with a service are getting at least minimum wage. The prices in restaurants etc. are what they are because they include enough money to pay the staff a proper wage. I can afford to eat there but can't always afford to pay extra for just the "standard service" that's required of them to earn their normal wage, and my friends are in the same position, so we usually ask for any "service charge" they've added to be removed and then just round up a couple of pounds and leave that. I've said "keep the change" to a couple of takeaway delivery guys before when they were extra-quick, but again they're getting the full wage and I've already paid for delivery too so they generally don't get a tip.

I do sometimes let the usual guy from my favourite Chinese takeaway keep the change because I think I've done permanent emotional damage to him by ordering from 4 different houses in the same town within the space of 2 months and confusing the heck out of him! He looks really afraid when he delivers to us now...

As a general rule, if I'm in the UK and you're just doing the standard level of service expected of you by your employer, you're not getting a tip. In the US, I basically just stick to fast food or supermarkets because the tipping gets a bit extreme and my friends feel compelled to leave huge tips even when the service isn't good because "think of the poor servers". I agree that we need to leave a tip because that's the general rule there, but an excessive tip for bad service is ridiculous!
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Yes it is true that you don't have to tip at all in some countries.

Australia is one of them.

Believe it or not, the whole world does not do the same as USA :wink:

When we first went to live in the US from Australia tipping caused us so much stress. How much, when, add to bill or leave on table. It was almost a relief to get home to grumpy wait staff who dont expect a tip and treat you accordingly.

Math is hard and constantly changing.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    At a sit down place I tip 20-25%
    Take out 10-15%
    At a bar or coffee shop $1 a drink.... $0.50 is even ok

This is US standard anything less and you are cheap. Go pick up some groceries at the store. Cook your own food. Do you own dishes and stay home. People are providing you a service so you should tip accordingly. That's how our culture is in the US. With that said I do think its messed up that our government says its ok to pay less than min wage and count on customers to make up the difference. A tip should be a bonus to someones wages not most of their paycheck.

Then tip the trash guy, or get rid of your own trash.

Tip the car mechanic, or get your own tools and fix your car.

Tip the plumber, or fix your own toilet.

Tip the construction workers, or build your own roads.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    For those of you who say you never tip on a to-go order because it doesn't involve any work -- what do you think, that it miraculously appears all put together for your eating pleasure? I worked in the food service industry for 8 years and I freaking hated to-go orders. On top of my regular guests who were dining in, I had to make to-go drinks, steam bread, wrap it in foil, make a to-go butter, get plastic silverware and napkins, ensure the order was correct, make desserts to-go, stop what I'm doing to run your credit card, get you change, answer your questions, entertain your conversation, etc all while still trying to be attentive to my dining in guests. It doesn't just come pre-packaged out of a vending machine -- someone is still doing the work and it certainly wouldn't kill you to add an additional $2, $3, $4 on. I certainty don't expect 20%, but a little something. It is still a service that is being provided.

The way I view tipping is, tipping is part of the dining out experience. Agree with it or not, that is how it works in the states. If you cannot afford food and a tip, then you cannot afford to eat out. Go through a drive-thru or cook your own meal and save going out for occasions when you can afford both food and tip. And at the end of the day, what is $4 versus $3 to you? Probably very insignificant. But if every table left an extra dollar on top of what they might leave normally, that really adds up at the end of the night for a server who makes $2.13 an hour (actually, much closer to zero dollars an hour once we get taxed). That being said, I do also think that poor service should be of some consequence. But 8 out of 10 times when tables complain, its really a complaint of the kitchen, and yet it gets taken out on us. Of course we chose our profession, no ****. Pilots chose their profession with the hopes that they won't die in a plane crash. Surfers chose their profession and hope that they won't get eaten by sharks. Teachers chose their profession and hope their student doesn't shoot up the school. Bank tellers chose their profession and hope they won't be robbed. Just because we chose a profession doesn't mean we deserve the **** end of the deal.

For all of your who don't tip, I pray that your kids never end up waiting tables and call you crying because they waited on ****s like you and can't make their rent.
    Drive thru workers have to prepare your food, drinks and condiments as well. Why is it OK to not tip them?
  • moosegt35
    Options
    Mr. Pink: "So is working at McDonald's, but you don't see anyone tip them, do ya? Why not?, they're serving you food. But no, society says don't tip these guys over here, but tip these guys over here. That's bullshlt!"

Exactly what I thought of when I saw the thread.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Two of my 3 daughters have worked as waitresses. So has my wife. When I was a teenager, I worked as a busboy.

By the way, I don't know how it is now, but when I worked as a busboy, I worked as hard or harder than most waitresses and I did not get a tip.

Everybody has a choice. If you are unhappy with the system that you work within, start making choices to get the training and/or opportunities to do something else, because like Mr. Pink said: "And this non-college bullshlt I got two words for that: learn to fcuking type, ’cause if you’re expecting me to help out with the rent you’re in for a big fcuking surprise."
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping it's a cultural thing, at least in my case.

When I was in high school, working at Denny's, I had kind of a nightmarish group. Now, working at Denny's, where breakfast costs $3, I never expected big tips... just something.

On the day in question, a Mexican or South American soccer team comes into the store, dressed in gear, with all of their women in tow. It was like a group of 20-30 (I don't remember exactly). I didn't catch their nationality ,because I didn't really speak Spanish at the time or ask them any questions. These guys were quiet and pissed off looking.

Everyone ordered salad and soup and a steak with shrimp (I'm sorry... shrimp at Denny's? That's just awful AND expensive) and dessert and multiple drinks with constant refills and they wanted it yesterday.

Long story short, their gigantic orders and gigantic group, who overtook a quiet Denny's with only one waitperson and one cook on a random Tuesday at about 2:30 p.m. caused a little backup in the kitchen. They were somehow more angry looking than when they entered.

Their bill totaled to approximately $150-175.

My tip: $0.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Two of my 3 daughters have worked as waitresses. So has my wife. When I was a teenager, I worked as a busboy.

By the way, I don't know how it is now, but when I worked as a busboy, I worked as hard or harder than most waitresses and I did not get a tip.

Everybody has a choice. If you are unhappy with the system that you work within, start making choices to get the training and/or opportunities to do something else, because like Mr. Pink said: "And this non-college bullshlt I got two words for that: learn to fcuking type, ’cause if you’re expecting me to help out with the rent you’re in for a big fcuking surprise."

RoadDog with the Res Dogs quote. Bam!
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options

Depends on where you work. When I worked for Darden, not only did the busboys get paid $10+/hr, but they were also entitled to 10% of our tips, and all they would bus was glasses. I also had to tip 10% to the bartenders, who usually made $6-10/hr as well.
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I went to Applebee's for their Carside To Go. When we didn't tip, the girl looked at the receipt, then gave us a dirty look, shook her head and went back inside. Which is why I wondered if it was good etiquette to tip for takeout. I'm getting a lot of mixed responses here. But I guess $2 or $3 isn't ---at least for my budget--- pushing it. I don't know, still a little up in the air with that one.

Applebee's Carside to Go is different than carryout/pickup. If you state you don't want carside service and you'll be walking inside to pick up your order, you're not expected to tip. If someone comes outside and delivers food to your car as a service to you, you are expected to tip.

To the person who said I tip well, my mom was a waitress. If she didn't get good tips, we didn't get nice school clothes. I had a very rough childhood with bullies who made fun of me for not having nice clothes. I do very well for myself now, so I enjoy giving back. :smile:
  • thisdamselflies
    thisdamselflies Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.
    I'm a server at a high-end restaurant in the U.S. I expect people to tip well because, as has been said several times, I make drastically less than minimum wage. I am just doing my job, but if you go to an American restaurant, you have to keep in mind that your server is not getting paid to do his/her job unless you pay them.
    Besides, in the UK, most tips are put into a pot and then split between everyone. And like the other arguements, why does only a server deserve a tip and the cook gets nothing?
    In most high-end U.S. restaurants (and not-so-high-end chains) that have a bartender, runner (the person bringing food to your table, if it's not your server), and busser, your server is tipping them out as well, because they're also making a server's wage. If a table in my restaurant spends $100 and they tip me $20, I'll actually get $16.25. Because my tip-out is based on my sales and not my tips, if that same table stiffs me and leaves nothing (or a penny), I'll still have to pay the other employees $3.75. In some restaurants, servers are required to claim at least 10%, so if they don't make that, they're paying taxes on money they never even got. If you stiff someone or tip less than 10%, you're not just making a statement; you're stealing from them in the only legal way I can think of.

In my particular restaurant, we also have something we call "pitch in for the kitchen," which is basically a way for tables who really enjoy their food to tip our kitchen staff. The table adds $5 to their check to buy a pitcher of beer, and the kitchen staff either drinks the beer at the end of their shift, or they take the cash, whatever they decide on. It should be pointed out, though, that the cooks in a restaurant don't depend on tips for their living. They make minimum wage or higher.

RoadDog, it's worth pointing out that almost every single person waiting tables in my restaurant (and in the last restaurant I worked in) is in college or grad school. I just completed grad school and work four part-time jobs (three in my field, one waiting tables), because sometimes it's hard to find a job in your field that's also in your geographical area. The point is, for many of those of us in food service, this is a stepping stone and a way to pay the bills on our way to something else. If we can't pay those bills (rent, tuition, etc.), we'll never get there.

How I tip for food service in the U.S.:
    dining in: 20% (10-15% if the service is terrible in an empty restaurant)
    take-out and delivery: $2-$4
    bar/coffeeshop: $.50-$1/drink
  • moosegt35
    Options

Depends on where you work. When I worked for Darden, not only did the busboys get paid $10+/hr, but they were also entitled to 10% of our tips, and all they would bus was glasses. I also had to tip 10% to the bartenders, who usually made $6-10/hr as well.

Everybody has a choice. If you are unhappy with the system that you work within, start making choices to get the training and/or opportunities to do something else