Tipping Etiquette

Options

Replies

• disneygirl626
    disneygirl626 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I live in California and here our waitstaff is guaranteed at least minimum wage. With that in mind, I base my tip on how good the service is. Since the tips are additional wages I feel they should earn it. We base our tip on our experience. We have tipped everywhere from 0-200% (no, that's not a typo, it was an incredible experience). I will not hesitate to leave a super crappy tip if I think they deserve it. In fact once we tipped a waitress who wasn't ours because our waitress was ignoring us and we kept having to pull the other waitress away from her tables to help us out. She was really great about it so we personally handed her a generous tip and left nothing for the waitress who was supposed to serve us.

I do feel bad for those who live in states where servers are not guaranteed at least minimum wage but I think even in other states I would take the same stance. I do take into account how busy a restaurant is when tipping but I've had experiences where the restaurant will be mostly empty and we can see our server checking their phone or chatting with their coworkers while our drinks sit empty for twenty minutes. Maybe it is because they are guaranteed their base wage and they feel comfortable ignoring their customers but if I experienced that in other places I would not feel a need to tip them very well if at all.

One other thing we do which I don't think a lot of people do is we will contact the manager or even the corporate website if we have exceptional service. Some companies reward their employees for that kind of thing and we want them to get the recognition. We rarely get to do this because since we both work in customer service my husband and I have high standards. Since we both work in management though we know what to look for and who deserves high praise. On the down side for exceptionally substandard service we will also contact them.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Yes it is true that you don't have to tip at all in some countries.

Australia is one of them.

Believe it or not, the whole world does not do the same as USA :wink:

When we first went to live in the US from Australia tipping caused us so much stress. How much, when, add to bill or leave on table. It was almost a relief to get home to grumpy wait staff who dont expect a tip and treat you accordingly.

I haven't been to USA - but that hasn't been my experience of waitpersons in Australia - most are friendly and attentive.
    and its nice to know people are friendly because they are friendly, not because they are just after extra money.

I found waitpersons in UK friendly and attentive too - and tipping, whilst not non-existent there, is nowhere near as entrenched as in USA.

Of course, waitpersons in Australia are paid much more reasonable wages to start with.
    Much better system IMO.

Standard UK tip is 10%... and it's dependent on service. Waiters/waitresses get a minimum wage (at least) and tipping is not seen as proving the waiter/ess with basic essentials, but as an extra gift for good service. Also, most people I've known in the UK who work in restaurants say that the tips are all put in a kitty and then divided equally between all the staff, sometimes between the kitchen staff too.

Personally in the UK I tip 10% if the waiter/waitress does the expected job i.e. polite, friendly, reasonably attentive. If they go over and above this then I'll tip higher. If the service is shoddy I wouldn't usually leave no tip at all but I'd leave less than 10%.

If I ever visit the USA I'll remember to tip at least 20% because of the low wages of the wait staff.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options

I am in the minority here (especially since I'm a waitress) but if the service is HORRIBLE, I don't tip (this doesn't include wait staff that is swamped, because I have definitely been there. I'm talking about waiters/waitresses who would rather play Words with Friends as opposed to swinging by my table a time or two.) Otherwise, I tend to tip about 20 percent.

I agree actually, I will tip if the server is overrun and they are understaffed (people call in sick, you get unexpectadly busy and are understaffed because of it...) I will give a poor tip if the service is bad due to just blatantly bad service (you know the hipster idiots who give a load of attitude and crap service for instance) I will also send food back to the kitchen but mainly because it's cold/overcooked based on my order/ so salty it tasted like a bowl of bar nuts....
    If I get particularly bad service i will speak with the manager as well (I managed people for a long time and appreciated feedback

When I am in other countries it will depend on local custom, in the Uk I will buy a drink for the bartender at some point during the night at a pub (which they may or may not drink) otherwise for food service 10% or so, in most of europe i look to see if service is included or not (most times it is @ 15%) If service is good i may leave a little extra to bring it up to 20% then

I think the us laws that allow the insanely low/no wage for service workers are disgusting to tell the truth. The wage is low here in canada but not like the $2 an hour some states have (plus we already have our healthcare....)
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    We don't normally tip in Ireland. You'd tip a taxi driver, hairdresser, food delivery person etc, but in bars, restaurants - you don't normally leave a tip (restaurant you'd round up the bill as a tip - not a % of the bill)

But when I go on holidays to the US, tipping always has me in a panic.

I spent a fantastic night in a local bar with loads of friends in the US. Great night, loads of drink, food etc had by all. Next day, speaking to my friend (who is a barman at the bar) I realised that I hadn't left a tip all night. I nearly died with embarrassment.. He didn't mention it, but I suddenly remembered I was in the US - not at home. I insisted on going back that night and leaving a large tip, with my apologies to the bar staff.

They were great about it really. It is a Irish bar and they said they know that the Irish visitors just don't remember to tip. But usually they are in before they fly home and leave a bulk tip to cover the stay!! Lol.. At least I wasn't the only Irish person to forget to leave a tip in that bar.

I must remember to find out what is the actual tipping etiquette before I head over on my next holiday!!

I worked a pub here for quite a while and it's pretty common with people visiting from Great Britain actually. If I'm out at the pub i'll generally round up to bring it in the 15-20% range if I'm going to the bar to grab a round, if there ia a waitress and we are at a table (and not running a tab) then I make sure It's 20% (Smart pubs price the pints so a decent enough tip is in the round
    up amount (ie $5.25 and a 0.75 tip - bear in mind the $5.25 will include taxes so the 0.75 is probably pretty close to 20% pore tax - I never base the tip on tax)
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Two of my 3 daughters have worked as waitresses. So has my wife. When I was a teenager, I worked as a busboy.

By the way, I don't know how it is now, but when I worked as a busboy, I worked as hard or harder than most waitresses and I did not get a tip.

Everybody has a choice. If you are unhappy with the system that you work within, start making choices to get the training and/or opportunities to do something else, because like Mr. Pink said: "And this non-college bullshlt I got two words for that: learn to fcuking type, ’cause if you’re expecting me to help out with the rent you’re in for a big fcuking surprise."

Depends on where you work. When I worked for Darden, not only did the busboys get paid $10+/hr, but they were also entitled to 10% of our tips, and all they would bus was glasses. I also had to tip 10% to the bartenders, who usually made $6-10/hr as well.

Everybody has a choice. If you are unhappy with the system that you work within, start making choices to get the training and/or opportunities to do something else

:huh: I'm not really sure how this is relevant. All I did was provide information to another poster about my experience. I never even gave my opinion on it, nor did I make any mention of how long I did it, if I was happy, or if I was still doing it. You wrongfully assume that I don't have any training, or that I am still doing the same job. Do you feel better to have posted something so utterly irrelevant?
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Two of my 3 daughters have worked as waitresses. So has my wife. When I was a teenager, I worked as a busboy.

By the way, I don't know how it is now, but when I worked as a busboy, I worked as hard or harder than most waitresses and I did not get a tip.

Everybody has a choice. If you are unhappy with the system that you work within, start making choices to get the training and/or opportunities to do something else, because like Mr. Pink said: "And this non-college bullshlt I got two words for that: learn to fcuking type, ’cause if you’re expecting me to help out with the rent you’re in for a big fcuking surprise."

Depends on where you work. When I worked for Darden, not only did the busboys get paid $10+/hr, but they were also entitled to 10% of our tips, and all they would bus was glasses. I also had to tip 10% to the bartenders, who usually made $6-10/hr as well.

Everybody has a choice. If you are unhappy with the system that you work within, start making choices to get the training and/or opportunities to do something else

:huh: I'm not really sure how this is relevant. All I did was provide information to another poster about my experience. I never even gave my opinion on it, nor did I make any mention of how long I did it, if I was happy, or if I was still doing it. You wrongfully assume that I don't have any training, or that I am still doing the same job. Do you feel better to have posted something so utterly irrelevant?

Ummm, my post was copied directly from Road Dog's post that you quoted. Do you feel better knowing you are in the 95% of people who don't read things before they respond?
  • klyn7788
    klyn7788 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is practice everywhere, but I worked in a restaurant in college and the people that took takeout orders and generally put them together were not the waiters and waitresses that make $2 an hour ... I don't usually see people that are charged with waiting tables answering the phones or ringing up to-go orders. Those individuals (maybe it's the hostess or a manager or someone tasked with that responsibility for the day) make at least minimum wage. Generally, it's not a valid argument to say that if you don't tip on takeout, the person that helped you will make $2 an hour.

I always tip on take out because I know that it is appreciated, but I don't think that it should be common place or expected.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options

Ummm, my post was copied directly from Road Dog's post that you quoted. Do you feel better knowing you are in the 95% of people who don't read things before they respond?

Perhaps you should learn how the quote function works. Quoting someone indicates direct response to them. If you did not want to comment on my statement, perhaps you should not have quoted me.
  • moosegt35
    Options

Perhaps you should learn how the quote function works. Quoting someone indicates direct response to them. If you did not want to comment on my statement, perhaps you should not have quoted me.

Jeez Louise, I did mean to quote you. I was showing you that part of HIS post. It's really not hard to understand, I promise.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Love the argument over nothing big.

Random fact: older people in my life have told me that TIPS is sort of a funky / incorrect acronym, it should be more like TEPS: to ensure prompt service.

Eh? YEAH!
  • CStellaGo
    CStellaGo Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Setup
    Drive to a pasture, drink beer.
    Help buddie(s) from truck.
    Quietly approach fence to pasture.
    Wiggle/Stumble through fence.
    Stay hunkered down and try not to laugh as you approach the nearest cow.
    Beam flashlight quickly into the cow's eyes. If no reaction, you are good to go. Skip ahead to Tipping the cow.
    If cow bucks, sending buddies screaming back to the truck, go on to next step.
    Run after buddy, tackle to the ground and hold hand over mouth.
    Wait 20 mins for Farmer to look out the front door and Holler at wolves.
    Find another cow, repeating the last 5 steps until you find one sleeping.

Tipping the cow
    Have someone hold the bottom of cow on one side.
    Have someone beside you, with both palms or a solid shoulder against cows upper back on opposite side.
    Count to three, and PUSH!
    Back up quickly from the cow, as its legs will fly up toward your face.
    High fives, whopping and laughter commence.
    Run from farmer. (Duck when you hear shots in the air.)
    Jump into the truck and speed away into the night.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

I agree with this completely.

Most of the servers I know "in real life" (past and present) do it for the money. And the money can be quite good. I know people who make several hundred dollars on both Friday and Saturday night, and in my area if you have an entry level sales or office job you might make a similar wage, or quite a lot less, in a week.

However those same people, some of them, like to gripe and complain a LOT about "terrible tippers" and make fun of the diners who tip 15% or less, and sometimes make comments that floor me, like "His bill was $60 and he wanted change on a $100!?" - do you really expect a $40 tip? The answer: yes. I can't help but laugh, honestly. It seems so juvenile and silly to me.

If I worked in any field where I felt totally used and ripped off (i.e., having to give up a big percentage of my pay/tips to a busboy who did far less work) or I was not earning at least minimum wage and not using my skills...I would be looking hard for a different job!
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Setup
    Drive to a pasture, drink beer.
    Help buddie(s) from truck.
    Quietly approach fence to pasture.
    Wiggle/Stumble through fence.
    Stay hunkered down and try not to laugh as you approach the nearest cow.
    Beam flashlight quickly into the cow's eyes. If no reaction, you are good to go. Skip ahead to Tipping the cow.
    If cow bucks, sending buddies screaming back to the truck, go on to next step.
    Run after buddy, tackle to the ground and hold hand over mouth.
    Wait 20 mins for Farmer to look out the front door and Holler at wolves.
    Find another cow, repeating the last 5 steps until you find one sleeping.

Tipping the cow
    Have someone hold the bottom of cow on one side.
    Have someone beside you, with both palms or a solid shoulder against cows upper back on opposite side.
    Count to three, and PUSH!
    Back up quickly from the cow, as its legs will fly up toward your face.
    High fives, whopping and laughter commence.
    Run from farmer. (Duck when you hear shots in the air.)
    Jump into the truck and speed away into the night.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I wish I could just click "like" on posts so I didn't have to keep it going, but this was hilarious!

I feel sorry for the OP who just wanted to know if she should have tipped the Applebee's girl. :ohwell: Gotta love forums!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty well off so I have no problem spreading some love for service folks. Been there, done that. I tip 20% or more.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Just want to clarify that, in no way, am I minimizing the work of people in food service. They deserve the same opportunities and compensation as those in retail, production, military or whatever.

But, if you are dependent on the good will of others (by means of tips or other gratuitous compensation) then I think you should be working towards a position that gives you autonomy and control over your own finances.

We all have to start somewhere and, sometimes that is serving food to others. That should not be your goal. It should be a starting point.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    To me, giving someone a tip means that they did above and beyond what their job is. You're tipping somebody because they made your life easier. That being said, I'll tip between 10-20% depending on the service. I (usually) do not tip people who simply bag up my food and hand it to me.
  • mshopey
    mshopey Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    This might sound tight, and it probably is. But in the UK i work on a checkout in a supermarket, and I always give excellent service to every customer. Thank them for waiting, asking about their day, opening and packing bags, just being overall friendly. And no matter how lovely I am, I get rudeness off customers here there and everywhere, rarely a thanks you. And I am on the same wage as waitress staff. So I kind of feel a wage is a wage, so i generally don't tip, but that's just my attitude. Minimum wage is £6.30ish now, and mostly all "unskilled" workers receive that much. I just see it as we get our wage and that's it.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    To me, giving someone a tip means that they did above and beyond what their job is. You're tipping somebody because they made your life easier. That being said, I'll tip between 10-20% depending on the service. I (usually) do not tip people who simply bag up my food and hand it to me.

What? They are providing a service!!! Let me guess, you probably don't even tip the guy that bags your groceries at the supermarket or the electric company either do ya?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Oh! Also adding in to derail this completely. Its pretty common practise to tip your postman at Christmas in the UK.
    It's not in London, maybe in more rural areas..?
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options

What? They are providing a service!!! Let me guess, you probably don't even tip the guy that bags your groceries at the supermarket or the electric company either do ya?

Is this sarcasm? Yes, they're providing a service that I ALREADY paid for.