Someone bring back these NOMS!

Options
14567810»

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    rax-01.jpg

The Rax around here became Arby's, then disappeared in the 90s, then resurfaced about 10 years ago. I had forgotten about Rax!

You are killing me with all the KC spots that I remember...

Rax in North Kansas City - best chocolate chip shakes EVER....

Mine was on Noland Rd, but yeah. Loved their shakes!

Or the original Gates Barbecue on Emanuel Cleaver Blvd.

Yep. I haven't been there for a while. Since they opened the one on 40 hwy in Independence, it seems that's the only one we've gone to. Also I work downtown, and occasionally co-workers will throw down to go in on some Gates at the Brooklyn location. I haven't been to the one on Cleaver blvd in years.

There's a Gates BBQ in Vegas (about 1 1/2 hours from me) near Nellis AFB but it's not the same. It has too much of the feel of a fast food restaurant and the sauce seems . . . I dunno, "canned" somehow. The sides weren't right, either.

But do they say, "HI Meh I HEP You!?" over and over until you order?

If you are talking about Gates on Emanual Cleaver Blvd as the original, I don't think it would have been called Emanual Cleaver back then! Troost maybe? We go to Gates at 103rd and State Line usually when I'm visiting my family in Overland Park.

We actually somehow became snooty bbq people though and now usually go to Jack Stack....
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    WendyTerry420 you reminded me when you were talking about the ice cream cleanse thread... I have been wondering if anyone still makes butter brickle ice cream:

BtrBrklSqr_130px.jpg

When I googled it, it looks like maybe there are some more recent knock offs, but I don't know if it would taste the same as what I remember....
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    The full sized, 70 minutes to cook monster, not the little "for one" poseurs that are still on the market:
    digiorno-deep-dish-pizza.jpg

11162012_hostess_tato_skins.jpg?itok=zqlg2Vny
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    WendyTerry420 you reminded me when you were talking about the ice cream cleanse thread... I have been wondering if anyone still makes butter brickle ice cream:

BtrBrklSqr_130px.jpg

When I googled it, it looks like maybe there are some more recent knock offs, but I don't know if it would taste the same as what I remember....

I wouldn't know. I totally would not buy that flavor! :laugh:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    count_chocula_650x300_a01_1.jpg

YES! They don't sell these where I am in Canada anymore...they used to when I was a kid :sad:
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    count_chocula_650x300_a01_1.jpg

I know you can still get count chocula. I'm not sure ab out the other two.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

YES! They don't sell these where I am in Canada anymore...they used to when I was a kid :sad:

That reminded me... there used to be a poptart thing we bought when I lived in Canada for a year when I was kid. I haven't seen them in years and you can't get them in Texas for sure.

They were chocolate and and had a buffalo head on them. Chocolate bison or buffalo or something like that.
    No idea who made them or what they were called, but they sure were tasty.

I can't even google the d@mned things. I keep getting listings for chocolate pastries made in Buffalo NY. lol

Actually this might have been them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeg7RN1M3bU
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    rax-01.jpg

The Rax around here became Arby's, then disappeared in the 90s, then resurfaced about 10 years ago. I had forgotten about Rax!

Yep. I haven't been there for a while. Since they opened the one on 40 hwy in Independence, it seems that's the only one we've gone to. Also I work downtown, and occasionally co-workers will throw down to go in on some Gates at the Brooklyn location. I haven't been to the one on Cleaver blvd in years.

There's a Gates BBQ in Vegas (about 1 1/2 hours from me) near Nellis AFB but it's not the same. It has too much of the feel of a fast food restaurant and the sauce seems . . . I dunno, "canned" somehow. The sides weren't right, either.

If you are talking about Gates on Emanual Cleaver Blvd as the original, I don't think it would have been called Emanual Cleaver back then! Troost maybe? We go to Gates at 103rd and State Line usually when I'm visiting my family in Overland Park.

We actually somehow became snooty bbq people though and now usually go to Jack Stack....
    You're right. Troost. And I have only eaten at the Gates BBQ in NV three times. Not ONCE did anyone say, "Hi meh I hep you?" (just an aside: it took me YEARS to get rid of that d@mned midwest twang!!)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    rax-01.jpg

You're right. Troost. And I have only eaten at the Gates BBQ in NV three times. Not ONCE did anyone say, "Hi meh I hep you?" (just an aside: it took me YEARS to get rid of that d@mned midwest twang!!)

Ok, I looked it up. According to Wikipedia, the original owner began operating out of a trolley in the 18&Vine area of downtown, then the original shop is the one on Brooklyn. There is no mention of a Troost location.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City-style_barbecue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gates_Bar-B-Q#Locations

http://www.gatesbbq.com/generalinformation/History.aspx

Several of my co-workers agreed that this info is correct, that the Brooklyn location is the original.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    rax-01.jpg

Ok, I looked it up. According to Wikipedia, the original owner began operating out of a trolley in the 18&Vine area of downtown, then the original shop is the one on Brooklyn. There is no mention of a Troost location.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City-style_barbecue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gates_Bar-B-Q#Locations

http://www.gatesbbq.com/generalinformation/History.aspx

Several of my co-workers agreed that this info is correct, that the Brooklyn location is the original.

Good to know! Passed through KC this weekend on my way to Topeka for a bridal shower. No time for BBQ. :( Did have brunch in Lawrence on Mass St though!