What was the first thing you changed?

Options

Replies

• larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    I started with two nonconsecutive low calorie {600} days a week. Later as I lost more weight I started the rest of it. Weighing and measuring, logging all food and exercise. Less food and more exercise is what worked for me.
    Edit: The one food I gave up was cheese grits. An order at our favorite seafood place is 640 calories, more than my daily limit at the time.
  • CrescentEddy
    CrescentEddy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I just started 5 days ago. The first thing I've changed: logging everything I eat, without judgement. We'll see how it goes! Loved reading everyone's answers!! ^&^
  • kerricus
    kerricus Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I stopped buying certain foods because if I bought it, I was going to eat the whole thing. All at once.

The next step was logging. I'm a very healthy eater in general, I just ate way too much.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I didn't really change a ton. I love to cook and have been doing so for years and I'm a big time foodie...so I've always enjoyed freshly prepared meals using whole ingredients and what not. I've never had a huge appetite or issue with things like candy, or cookies or cake or anything like that...I've always had much more of a savory tooth than a sweet tooth. i suppose I was fortunate that I didn't have to completely re-invent myself and figure out how to cook and figure out what veggies I liked, etc...I had that all down pretty good, I just ate way too much for my level of activity at the time.

That said, I did drink quite a bit of soda which I cut back on and ultimately I pretty much gave up...I have one once in a blue moon these days and actually just prefer to have bubbly water with a twist of lime or something these days. Barring that, my biggest change was moderating my portions and working in some exercise. Growing up I was involved in sports and all manner of athletics and then off to the military after high school where I was paid to train and even in college afterwards I was pretty active as my only transportation at the time was my feet and my bicycle and I was always off on hikes and playing roller hockey or whatever with my buddies. Basically I graduated, took a desk job, and stopped being as active but continued eating. The first month or so of getting back into exercise was kind of tough, but after that I started to fall back in love with it pretty quickly.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Drinking water and moving more.
  • charmedp326
    Options
    First stopped drinking soda, then stopped consuming anything with caffeine in it altogether. Now I don't even drink juice, it's just mostly water or herbal teas (with stevia if they're too bitter). I was given the advice to "never drink your calories", and it was the best advice I've received.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    completely cut out any other beverage except water.
  • nonquitter
    nonquitter Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    1. I stopped drinking soda.. Used to have one almost every day
    2. I stopped eating cake and cookies and desert with every meal.. used to get a sweet baked item every day for breakfast, snack, lunch and dinner
    3. started moving a lot more and eventually started regular exercise
  • katiemegcz
    katiemegcz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Gave up diet sodas. Not that it is wrong to drink for others, but I realized after failing at reducing calories for awhile that the artificial sweetener made me crave more sweets. Of course I was drinking 6-10 cans per day (UGH). I replaced with water, went through a ridiculous withdrawal, but my migraines and cravings went away, and this time, everything seems to be working. I don't even miss it any more.
  • AceCC86
    AceCC86 Posts: 71
    Options
    I work as a restaurant manager, so the first thing I did was start bringing my own food to work rather than eating restaurant food every day. Now when I do have to eat food from the restaurant I limit it to kale and beet salads or simple fish dishes.

Oh, and water. Tons of water!
  • CharleeCali
    CharleeCali Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My pants - when I saw how much fat and calories I was eating on Atkins.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    From the very first day, consuming way less calories than I was pre-MFP. It really works.
  • mellyboobear
    mellyboobear Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for your responses!! i learned a lot of new tricks from you guys!(= if anything is posted after this, i will deff read it and then add you!! thanks so much! <33
  • Point202
    Point202 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    First thing I did was buy a Fitbit. I was stunned by how little activity I got in a day.

Next I started logging for a couple of weeks. Not really trying for a deficit, just logging it and paying attention to portions. Like many, I thought I was a healthy eater too. Until I started measuring. (I seriously was like - what do you mean one serving of crackers is only that many, and is 2tbs of peanut butter really only that much?).

Next I've committed myself to a calorie deficit, and a minimum of 20 minutes of activity every day. Sometimes I only have time for a quick walk with the dog, but other days I find I'm hopping on my elliptical machine, or doing some of the FitnessBlender.com workouts.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Weighing food and keeping track.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Cut the soda, started walking.
  • s1rens0ng
    s1rens0ng Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    lower intake of salt ,sugar, carbs and fat.
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey with the sodas.

Me too , This was my very first thing .
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Logging my food consistently. & drinking only water & coffee, sometimes diet soda if I go out [rarely].
  • CheatinLil
    CheatinLil Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Reading MFP and logging meals. I still don't get what macros and TDEE are. LOL! But I'm losing weight trying to stay under my calorie goal. I will learn more and buy a food scale if I stop losing before I reach my goal. It's an exciting slow journey :) Baby steps.