How frequently do you exercise?

Options
13»

Replies

• asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I work out around my kids' sports schedules. That means some days I work out 2x, some days I work out 1x, some days I'm forced to take a rest day. Basically, I work out anywhere from 5-10 times a week. I cycle, lift, run, walk, and kayak (in the summer). However, I have been active my entire life. Even when I was younger and not "exercising" I walked or rode my bike everywhere I went, so my body is used to it. I wouldn't recommend my schedule to a new exerciser.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I started just like you ... 7 days per week and on day 20 I was so tired and exhausted that I decided to listen to my body. At my heaviest, I was going 3-4 times per week, regular burn 500-800 cals per workout, mostly cardio. Now I do 4-5 intense workouts per week, but they are alteration between strength and cardio... Rest days are just as important as the workout days! :)

Good Luck :)

Veselina, That's pretty wonderful!! 4-5 intense workouts sound like a great idea, some rest for your body. I have a question for you. I am trying to figure out if the cardio calories really "count" against your food calories. Especially since we can't really get all that accurate about it.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba twice a week. Three or four days a week I do an hour at a fast clip on my exercise bike at home. I do my physical therapy exercises for my back about five days a week. I need to do more core and strength training. My physical therapist said that cardio is the most important for me.
  • lablamires
    lablamires Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    my general rule is AT LEAST 3 miles, or 30 minutes, AT LEAST 3-5 days a week.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    3.5x for weights.

Sometimes 7x for cardio. But often that's just earning cake (and hopefully improving cardio performance a bit.)
    Because; cake!

I'm aware that the cardio is going to detract from muscle retention, but decided that I'd prefer to lose a bit more muscle on a deficit and improve cardio, leaving me a better cardio base when I hit target and so can improve muscle without doing so much cardio.
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Minimum 3, max 6. Running is my favorite exercise, but I know that I shouldn't really run every day, so I try to mix it up with yoga, pilates, strength, or even a more active hobby like walking my dog or gardening. Rest days are important, and you want to be careful that you don't burn yourself out.
  • angellll12
    angellll12 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Everyday for an hour sometimes more and my FATASS can't lose a pound
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    5 days a week for 25-30 minutes.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Weight training 6 days a week, cardio 5 days a week
  • suejersey
    suejersey Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    4 days per week
    1st week - 1 cardio - 2 weight training 1 yogalates
    2nd week - 2 cardio 1 weight training 1 yogalates

60 - cardio
    75 minutes weight training/yogalates

Now that I have lost all the weight that I wanted to, I am going to shake things up again and do just the 1st week - but I love body combat so the weeks when I do 2 cardio it is like a treat - but I don't want to add a 5th day to the gym. It just takes too much time out of my schedule and I feel I don't get as much done at home/work.
  • Eastmont87
    Options
    I try to work out almost everyday, taking a day off when I feel I need to. Usually it ends up being like 5 days a week.
    I usuall take a walk a day, or jogg, but dunno if I can call that exercise.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I exercise every day. It's just different stuff each day.

My current schedule is:

Saturday & Sunday: Run days. I'm currently working on improving my 5k time. We also do active family stuff like beach hikes, bike riding, walking to the playground or the store, and gardening.
    Monday: Taekwondo class (my instructor runs us hard the whole 60 min-- my uniform is always soaked with sweat after!).
    Tuesday: Running.
    Wednesday: Taekwondo class. Sometimes an after dinner walk or other family activity.
    Thursday: Running.
    Friday: I guess technically this is my rest day, but I still go horseback riding in the morning and swimming in the afternoon.

Any day I miss a workout, I go for a long walk (4-6 miles). I do 10-15 minutes of yoga almost every night (more if I'm sore from a workout). Also, right now the husband and I are on day 25 of a 30 day abs challenge, and day 3 of a 30 day arms challenge.

I love all my workouts. I adore running. My 6 year old son and my husband are taking taekwondo also, so it's a family thing (we tell people we're going to be superheroes, and right now we're working on our origin story). And horses are my soul.
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    -Weight training 4 days a week
    -Intense cardio about 3 days a week
    -Dog walks everyday...about 3-5 miles.
    - Soccer one or two days a week

I'm doing something everyday...I go kind of stir crazy if I don't! Plus, my puppy doesn't give me any option!
  • FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Monday thru Friday.
  • marcyj
    marcyj Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I workout every day, but I do different things each of them,

Monday: Zumba class and weights in the morning, step aerobics class at night
    Tuesday: Zumba in the morning
    Wednesday: Kickboxing in the morning and Zumba in the evening
    Thursday: Zumba in the morning and Kickboxing and weights in the evening
    Friday: Running
    Saturday: Zumba or running and weights
    Sunday: light jogging or walking
  • YesJessYes
    YesJessYes Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wow, a lot of you are so impressive! I do a kettlebell/movement type class 3-4x a week that leaves me sweaty and exhausted and now that it FINALLY stopped snowing I have introduced a new activity for off nights I like to call walk/jog with the dog.

If you want to be humbled, try jogging behind a walking dog. :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    5-6 days a week, usually 30-60 minutes. If I need it, I take another day off. And about every 8-12 weeks I take a whole week off.
  • SilentDrapeRunners
    SilentDrapeRunners Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    6 days a week
    - I do about an hour of weightlifting 5 days a week
    - HIIT cardio 1-3 days a week

Rest day once a week. Rest days are important (both physically and mentally), especially if you're doing heavy lifting or other intense workouts.
  • doodlecakes_07
    doodlecakes_07 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I run 6 days a week, strength train 2-3 times a week, go to gymnastics once a week, and do abs almost every workout day. So, that leaves me with one rest day. I used to not take rest days, but I've found they are extremely important, otherwise I wouldn't be able to really push myself in my workouts.

I used to get so anxious about rest days. For example, during marathon training a couple of years ago, I wouldn't take rest days. One Saturday, the night before a long run, I decided to do the elliptical for over an hour as hard as I possibly could, just because I felt bad about taking a day off. Needless to say, the next day I broke down during my long run. I could only run 9 of the 16 miles I was supposed to; it was a run that began and ended in tears.

Rest is critical. Speaking of which, my rest day is tomorrow. IM SO EXCITED. I get to go hang out with friends, watch movies, and not feel guilty.