Breakfast: Yes or No?

There are so many different opinions out there about eating breakfast.. To me, personally, it's the easiest meal to skip because usually I don't have a lot of time in the mornings.
And I heard about IF (16:8, 20:4 and etc.) so skipping breakfast might even be helpful for weight loss? What do you think? Do you eat breakfast?

Replies

• motivatemychange
    motivatemychange Posts: 31 Member
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! If anything, you should eat the least at dinner (but obviously no one does that haha)

If you eat in the morning, it kick starts your metabolic rate and therefore helps you burn more calories throughout the day! :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Some people report increased mood and focus when they eat breakfast. Others react the opposite. Some people find that they stay fuller longer when they eat breakfast. Some are hungrier after eating in the morning.

Meal timing will not affect your weight loss. It may affect your gym performance, concentration, and hunger levels throughout the day. Eat it if you want. Skip it if you want.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Some people report increased mood and focus when they eat breakfast. Others react the opposite. Some people find that they stay fuller longer when they eat breakfast. Some are hungrier after eating in the morning.

Meal timing will not affect your weight loss. It may affect your gym performance, concentration, and hunger levels throughout the day. Eat it if you want. Skip it if you want.

Yep.
  • tech_kitten
    tech_kitten Posts: 221 Member

^this
    It all depends on how you react to it. I can some days not eat breakfast and I'm great and then others I get hungry and have to eat. I think eating when you are hungry and not eating when you're not hungry is best, however the timing works out for you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    skipping breakfast isn't inherently helpful to weight loss...you have to have a calorie deficit, and MFP gives you that in your calorie goal. So if your calorie goal to lose weight is 1500 calories + exercise then you can pretty much eat them whenever you want and that will be helpful to weight loss.

Personally, I have to have breakfast but it can't be too large...and then from about noon on I'm pretty much eating until around 9:30 or so at night. Meal timing is irrelevant outside of performance goals.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! If anything, you should eat the least at dinner (but obviously no one does that haha)

If you eat in the morning, it kick starts your metabolic rate and therefore helps you burn more calories throughout the day! :)

no....
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member

yes
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Whatever works for you, IMO. I used to never eat breakfast, now I can't imagine skipping it, but I also don't snack until 10pm anymore (typically my last meal is at 6pm)... so I'm typically hungry one hour after I wake up.

It makes me laugh when people say they don't eat breakfast but have a snack at 10pm... either way, it's 14 hours without food, what's the difference again? None. Absolutely doesn't matter when you eat.
  • I say eat breakfest. It's actually proven by science that girls who are "skinny" generally eat more breakfest than those who are overweight.
    But I know the feeling, it's not easy eating so early in the morning. I basically have to force myself to eat breakfest a bit.

My tip is: make a smoothie.

Just put some proteinpowder, berries, almond milk, banana or whatever fruit you like and blend it :) Much easier than eating a heavy meal like oats or sandwiches.
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    I haven't eaten breakfast for years. My body is so used to it that I just can't eat in the AM. I do drink tea, though.

Same here. I've been skipping or delaying breakfast since I was a child, it never affected me in a negative way. I still eat 3 meals a day + snacks, I see no reason to force myself to eat first thing in the morning when I'm not hungry. I'd rather save up those calories for when I actually do want to eat, which is about 2 hours after waking.
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    I think it's a personal choice. I'm not a morning person so I rarely eat breakfast, I feel ill if I eat within a few hours of getting up. My husband however wakes up hungry and gets irritable and light headed if he doesn't eat. So just go with whatever feels right for you.
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    I eat 1/2 serving 1 bar of 85% cocoa dark chocolate from Aldis, and 2 cups of coffee around 7 . Then i have lunch around 11. I think you should do what works for you.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    I am doing intermittent fasting atm (or atleast something like it) and it's working great for me. Growing up, it was engrained that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and had to be eaten first thing. I have never been hungry when I wake up, not until 3-4 hours after. When I started on MFP last year, I used to force myself to drink Ensure in the morning just because of this "if you don't eat breakfast, your metabolism slows down". I'm happy I don't have to do that anymore. I eat about 2300 cals these days and get all my meals in, just not at 7AM!

People also say that cardio/performance is poor on an empty stomach and that may be completely legit. I do my lifts and cardio fasted then have my protein source immediately after and continue to eat until 10PM. I have been losing body fat steadily and my moods have been fine.

I think you should do what works for you... if you are like me and feel nauseous at the thought of eating at 7AM, don't. If you feel sluggish without eating, eat. All that matters is that you get your daily cals in.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Nope, never hungry till about noon.
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member

QFT

I used to like having a higher protein breakfast as it would keep me fuller and prevent me from munching on things. Now I prefer to save my calories for a bigger meal later in the day.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member

Why do people still think this is true? My boss is seeing a nutritionist who tells him this BS.

Thank you. +1
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Some days yes, most days no. I find that I can run better fasted. This is only runs up to 13 miles. For marathons I will always eat light around 3hrs before the race. On the days I do skip, my other meals will be a lot bigger. Everyone's different though.
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    I don't think it matters. It's different for everybody.

I honestly am I still hungry around 11am, with breakfast or without breakfast. Lol :laugh:
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member

So true.

Depending on when my last meal was the night before, I may not be hungry for several hours after getting up. If I plan on doing a morning workout, then the most I'll have is a protein shake (working out after eating makes me queasy). Do what works for you.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member

That ^ should be pasted into every single "breakfast - yes or no?" thread.

I'm one of those people who gets hungrier, and stays hungry all day if I eat early in the day, unless I have an early workout. When i do have an early workout, I usually go for something smallish, around 250 calories, before exercise. For some reason, the exercise seems to "reset" me and I don't get hungry again until well past noon. (If I eat early without exercise, I spend the whole day wanting to eat ALL THE THINGS!)
    Moral of the story: do what works for you to help keep you happy and within your goals.