Breakfast: Yes or No?

Replies

• C3001
    C3001 Posts: 28 Member
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! If anything, you should eat the least at dinner (but obviously no one does that haha)

If you eat in the morning, it kick starts your metabolic rate and therefore helps you burn more calories throughout the day! :)

There's always one

Rumor has it that Kellogg's is the one who started the breakfast campgaign....it all makes sense suddenly...

I was about to add that I think the science behind the women eating breakfast comment came from a cereal commercial...

Either way, I have never had the want for breakfast even as a child. I'm on one of the IF plans naturally and it works for me. I also notice when I do eat breakfast (going out with family and friends), I will still eat/crave the same amount of calories the rest of the day. Therefore, breakfast actually increases my daily calorie intake.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    The theory that breakfast helps people stay slim does have a legit reason behind it:
    Many people skip breakfast, hungry or not, because they see that as a way to reduce overall caloric intake (obviously true) ... However, many times those people end up so hungry by mid-day that they begin to over-snack, or eat the wrong snacks because that's all that's available in the vending machine, and/or they overeat when they finally have a meal...canceling out their effort, and as a result often exceed the number of calorie they would have consumed if they just had a breakfast that kept them satisfied for a few hours.
    That's also a legit reason behind the "eat several small meals a day" the theory being if we don't have a chance to feel too hungry, we won't feel the need to overeat.
    Those strategies do work...IF you are the kind of person who works that way. I'm not.

I'd also like to say that once upon a time, I think we really did NEED breakfast...not to stay slim but because our days were so full of physical activity that we seriously needed the fuel.
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    No breakfast :smile: but I do have a cup of coffee, get my work out in then a protein shake. But that doesnt count lol.

I get too hungry if I eat it, so two meals a day for me.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    You don't "have" to do anything.

Some people find their bodies work better when they have breakfast, others dont. It depends on many many factors.

Some people like to get their work out in before they eat, others find they need to fuel beforehand.

Some people following intermittent fasting regimes find they skip breakfast on certain days of the week, but eat it on others. Other IFers still have breakfast.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    I have never heard any opinions that you shouldn't eat breakfast. You should absolutely eat breakfast.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    I have never heard any opinions that you shouldn't eat breakfast. You should absolutely eat breakfast if you want to.

FIFY
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    I eat breakfast every morning after I work out usually.
    As in most things regarding trying to live a healthy life style, you have to do what works for you, it not eating a certain meal works for you, that is great. It should be a sustainable way of living.
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Oh dear god, yes. If I don't eat breakfast, my body revolts and is hungry all day no matter what I eat. Even if it's something quick like a sandwich or a smoothie on the go, I always eat it.
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Yes eat breakfast
  • MissLeelooDallas
    MissLeelooDallas Posts: 145 Member
    Whether you eat breakfast or not should be your own preference. It's your calories and your hunger, so if you're not hungry then I don't think there's any harm in not having breakfast.

That being said, I personally have greek yogurt and granola every morning (except the weekends because I usually sleep in, haha).
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! If anything, you should eat the least at dinner (but obviously no one does that haha)

If you eat in the morning, it kick starts your metabolic rate and therefore helps you burn more calories throughout the day! :)

Why do people still think this is true? My boss is seeing a nutritionist who tells him this BS.

Nutritionists are a sore spot for me. Most of them just regurgitate from books or worse, pamphlets, and actually know very little about nutrition. I'd wager that the vast majority of people on MFP know more than most nutritionists.

I was in a program for an eating disorder and the reason I left was the nutritionist. Her one size fits all approach did not fit me at all and no matter what letters and calls she got from my GP and my therapist, she wouldn't budge. Finally I asked to leave the program she was causing a different kind of disordered eating than the one I started with.

tl;dr - beware of nutritionists. A lot of them don't know much more about nutrition than you.
  • I personally don't often eat it. If I do, it's a breakfast bar or something small that I'll only remember to eat at 10am.

I just don't feel like anyone should ever force themselves to eat breakfast if they're not hungry. Especially if, like me, it makes that person feel uncomfortably and insatiably ravenous for the rest of the day.
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Skipping breakfast is a hard habit to break. I work nights 11pm to 7am so my eating times are really screwed up right now. . I go to sleep about 1pm and get up around 9pm and don't eat until 8am the next day. So I fast about 19 hours a day and cram all my meals into a 5 hour span of time between 8am and 1pm. I eat at all sort of times on Sat and Sun and way too much.

I have eaten this way since high school. It's bad behavior that needs to be corrected, but when I start trying to eat more often, but smaller meals I feel like I am eating constantly.

I honestly hate food, I hate thinking about it, I hate shopping for it, preparing it. I really wish the everlasting gobstopper was a reality. One piece of gun for your meal. DONE
  • stakoc94
    stakoc94 Posts: 70 Member
    Breakfast is many times my largest meal of the day. But it truely depends on the person. You should eat or not eat based off how YOU feel not what others tell you to do :wink:
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    I am on the fence with this one. I love a good hearty breakfast if I get a late start to my day, i.e. not being in school for first class because those days kill me and thank God teachers get free coffee. But sometimes I skip it in favor of sleeping 15 more minutes :)
  • jec285
    jec285 Posts: 145 Member
    Still pretty new to MFP but it doesn't take long browsing the forums to learn a few simple facts:

-It doesn't ''kickstart'' your metabolism
    -It's not any more important (from a metabolism/diet/nutrition standpoint) than any other calories you put into your body
    -As has been stated many times, if you feel hungry, or can't operate mentally/physically without it, then yes of course, eat it
    -If you can get by without it, you're probably better off saving your calories for later

I'm down nearly 60 lbs (from 320) since Christmas, I don't eat breakfast unless I absolutely feel the need to.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Yes...every day. A hot one is best.

If I run late, Lean Cuisine and Atkins have a couple of really good scrambled egg frozen meals.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Sometimes I eat breakfast, sometimes I don't. As long as I get the right amount of calories somewhere throughout the day, then I lose weight.
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    The only thing you should do with regard to breakfast is listen to your body. If your body is hungry, feed it. If it's not, don't just because someone says you should. I have done IF a few times, and as long as I planned out my lunches and dinners I was fine. The days I didn't plan were the ones where I personally had a "put all of the food in my mouth" feeling and ended up eating way too much.

Sometimes I eat breakfast, sometimes I only have a cup of coffee. It all depends on how I am feeling for the day... sometimes it ends up being more like brunch. As long as you are eating the number of calories you SHOULD be, it really won't make a difference when you consume them... unless you get hangry when you skip a meal. :)
  • Lola2248
    Lola2248 Posts: 126 Member
    Yes I eat breakfast, even If just cereal and coffee.