Breakfast: Yes or No?

Replies

• salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    I'm really just not that hungry in the mornings, and on rest days don't eat until 11 or 12. On my workout days I'll eat a protein bar or protein shake before going to the gym.

Do what works for you.
  • trizzletrix
    trizzletrix Posts: 92 Member
    Personally I adore breakfast.

Oatmeal, eggs (oh the possibilities), toast, yoghurt, fruit, cereal, sausages, bacon, coffee <333

I would (and sometimes do) eat breakfast for every meal but like everyone else has said it's a personal thing. If you're not hungry in the morning and can go without brekkie then more power to you! :D
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Personally I adore breakfast.

Oatmeal, eggs (oh the possibilities), toast, yoghurt, fruit, cereal, sausages, bacon, coffee <333

I would (and sometimes do) eat breakfast for every meal but like everyone else has said it's a personal thing. If you're not hungry in the morning and can go without brekkie then more power to you! :D

Lots of times I will have breakfast for dinner. Egg white omelette with spinach and mushrooms and turkey bacon for me. Yum!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    I say eat breakfest. It's actually proven by science that girls who are "skinny" generally eat more breakfest than those who are overweight.
    But I know the feeling, it's not easy eating so early in the morning. I basically have to force myself to eat breakfest a bit.

My tip is: make a smoothie.

Just put some proteinpowder, berries, almond milk, banana or whatever fruit you like and blend it :) Much easier than eating a heavy meal like oats or sandwiches.
    Please provide the science for review.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    I only eat breakfast in order to concentrate better at work. On the weekends, I eat between 10:00am-12:00noon. As long as I am eating the way I should and dropping the weight, my doctor doesn't rightfully give a damn.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! If anything, you should eat the least at dinner (but obviously no one does that haha)

If you eat in the morning, it kick starts your metabolic rate and therefore helps you burn more calories throughout the day! :)

Why do people still think this is true? My boss is seeing a nutritionist who tells him this BS.

Personally, I blame the breakfast cereal companies.
  • juliecnw
    juliecnw Posts: 16 Member
    I think it depends on the person. I personally have gone back and forth on this. Some days a cup of black coffee no sweetener, other days a couple eggs and whole grain toast. If I wake up and I'm hungry I have something, if I'm not, just a cup of coffee. Water is a must first thing in the morning either way for me.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    all i have to say is that when i was over 300lbs i never ate breakfast.. im not over 300 lbs anymore ..lost 80 and i eat breakfast now
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    i'm starving when i first wake up. i've always eaten breakfast.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! If anything, you should eat the least at dinner (but obviously no one does that haha)

If you eat in the morning, it kick starts your metabolic rate and therefore helps you burn more calories throughout the day! :)
    All meals are the most important.

And metabolic rate "kickstarts" once you "physically" get out of bed. Food doesn't "kickstart" it at all. Old myth that's been passed on throughout the fitness/diet industry.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Some people report increased mood and focus when they eat breakfast. Others react the opposite. Some people find that they stay fuller longer when they eat breakfast. Some are hungrier after eating in the morning.

Meal timing will not affect your weight loss. It may affect your gym performance, concentration, and hunger levels throughout the day. Eat it if you want. Skip it if you want.
    Best answer.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    I say eat breakfest. It's actually proven by science that girls who are "skinny" generally eat more breakfest than those who are overweight.
    Post a link. I'm more than sure it's a "correlation" than actual scientific proof.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    all i have to say is that when i was over 300lbs i never ate breakfast.. im not over 300 lbs anymore ..lost 80 and i eat breakfast now
    Can you also say that when you were 300lbs you ate more then you do now? Anecdotes aren't evidence.

IDEA Fitness member
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member

There's always one
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member

Correlation does not equal causation. Did you also happen to change other factors that might have had something to do with your weight loss (like perhaps eating less overall, for example)
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    But I know the feeling, it's not easy eating so early in the morning. I basically have to force myself to eat breakfest a bit.

My tip is: make a smoothie.

Just put some proteinpowder, berries, almond milk, banana or whatever fruit you like and blend it :) Much easier than eating a heavy meal like oats or sandwiches.

I hate the word "skinny". However, this thinner-than-ever-before, breakfast-skipping chick would like to see the journal reviews stating this as fact.
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member

No, no, no..........no ^^^^^^^ Oh yea, not that^^^^
    Some people report increased mood and focus when they eat breakfast. Others react the opposite. Some people find that they stay fuller longer when they eat breakfast. Some are hungrier after eating in the morning.

Meal timing will not affect your weight loss. It may affect your gym performance, concentration, and hunger levels throughout the day. Eat it if you want. Skip it if you want.
    Perfectly stated ^^^^ It's as good as any answer that will come along in this thread.

And yeah....this^^^^^
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,268 Member

. it actually helps balance your blood sugars but yeah this is exactly what most nutritionists will tell you.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    I am the "average Joe" that Martin Berkhan mentioned in his article: feeling more hungry after breakfast.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member

There's always one

Rumor has it that Kellogg's is the one who started the breakfast campgaign....it all makes sense suddenly...