Small women: where do you shop?!?

Options
1235»

Replies

• brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have to keep looking. And sometimes it's not just the size but the pattern, too. You'll realize what patterns fit you better and it will be easier for you. And maybe start shopping on the web, too.
  • chloematilds
    chloematilds Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    forever 21. they have more regular.sizing. im 5ft, 103 lbs and I wear a.medium in their brand! also, very affordable. ive had nice.dresses from there at $20
  • Fenrissa
    Fenrissa Posts: 116
    Options
    H&M, Zara, Urban Behavior, and Forever 21 are some of my favorite stores to shop at.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    I m a shade under 5'3" and weigh between 105-110. I wear between a 00-2, depending on brand and cut. I typically shop at Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, Limited, and Loft for dressier and more business-like attire, and Gap and Old Navy for casual items. I am in my mid-40s, but occasionally pick up items in "Junior" stores like Forever 21 or Delia's, and I find European brands like H&M and Zara run smaller. Uniqlo (sort of a Japanese Gap) also runs on the smaller side. If your budget allows, Theory is another line that runs small. I do find that most brands' petite sizes run smaller, so a Loft 0P fits slimmer than a regular 0 at the same store.

While I am small, I am certainly not super-tiny, and I always wonder where the really skinny women shop, if I often wear the smallest sizes carried in a particular store.
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I shop almost exclusively at thrift shops. Good Will, Savers, Salvation Army - that sort of thing. All sorts of brands and cheap too. I can be pretty picky and still leave with at least a couple items every time. Brands I usually go for are Maurices, Express, New York & Company and Apt 9.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and 104. I've had good luck with Banana Republic, J Crew, Anne Taylor Loft, and Nordstrom. Yes, I spend a little more, but I don't buy a lot of clothes. The ones I have fit well and they will last. All the more incentive to stay this size.
  • chele1028
    chele1028 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    In a related topic, Forever 21 has been accused of purchasing cotton from Uzbekistan that was harvested by child labor. Other clothing manufacturers have vocalized their opposition of such practices and changed suppliers, but Forever 21 has been silent on the matter.

I generally would prefer to spend a little more for textile workers to earn a decent wage and not employ children.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I lovelovelove modcloth.com. Have ordered tons of stuff from them, never disappointed. The customer reviews are fantastic!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    If you are an adventurous dresser, try vintage clothing shops. The shapes were cut differently then and if you have a very tiny waist compared to bust or hips - you may be able to go 40's/50's glamour. 20's-30's & 60's were straighter silhouettes if you are more boyish shaped. Totally ignore the size number if there is one - no such thing as vanity sizing then - the smallest vintage blouse pattern size (from 50's) I have is a US 10 which was a 31 inch bust and 24 inch waist. You can get some bargains if you shop carefully and have the chutzpah to pull off 'the look.'
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    In a related topic, Forever 21 has been accused of purchasing cotton from Uzbekistan that was harvested by child labor. Other clothing manufacturers have vocalized their opposition of such practices and changed suppliers, but Forever 21 has been silent on the matter.

I generally would prefer to spend a little more for textile workers to earn a decent wage and not employ children.

Like this post - ethical clothing is a good idea for the whole planet and humanity...
    Thought provoking book: 'To Die For - Is Fashion Wearing Out the World' by Lucy Siegle.
  • mooncath
    mooncath Posts: 31
    Options
    My legs are kind of bulky so I just end up buying two sizes bigger to accomodate them so I always have to wear a belt and pull it tight. I get ankle length skinny jeans, and the length works out. As for shirts, I don't have much of a problem. My shoulders are kind of big, but not a huge problem. I'm 5'0" and 105 pounds.
  • krysrago
    krysrago Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would say Modcloth as well. Shopruche is also a good place. Both companies can be found online. Francesca's can be found online and in the mall. But I also recommend the limited. That company knows how to fit a woman's body. I would suggest you try them as well.
  • Minouche1922
    Minouche1922 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Have a look at www.wallis.co.uk. They are in the UK, really good Petite range , good quality and they deliver free to the US if you spend over £50. Trendy too.
  • alizamanuk
    Options
    HAVE YOU GUYS TRIED ADAMS ?
  • dgkt
    dgkt Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Like this post - ethical clothing is a good idea for the whole planet and humanity...
    Thought provoking book: 'To Die For - Is Fashion Wearing Out the World' by Lucy Siegle.

I did a research paper in college about the ethical problems with fast fashion, it opened my eyes to a lot of the problems with cheap labor. H&M and forever21 are the two of the biggest offenders. Like the comments above, I prefer to pay a bit more to get clothes from a more ethical source.

I tend to shop Nordstrom Rack, BCBG, or Marshall's. I still get things tailored fairly regularly, I highly recommend finding a good tailor & sticking with her, it's a inexpensive way to look and feel like a million bucks. (I'm 5'2 and about 125 btw)
  • 98bikinisuitedlbs
    98bikinisuitedlbs Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Great shopping choices!
  • figuu
    figuu Posts: 20
    Options
    H&M and American Apparel are the only stores I have found that have skirts that fit my 22-23in waist.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    RaspberryTickleChicken Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    4' 10" @ 95-97lbs

Loft:
    I can wear interchangeably between Petite 0 (XS) or Regular 00 (XXS)

Victoria's Secret / Pink:
    XXS or XS depending on the item style & cut
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Loft and Charolette Russe :)