Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

MFP Encourages "Convenience" Nutrition

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    It's okay that you don't feel the need to log. When I first started using this website, I was a bit confused too because it is so much easier when things are handed to me and organized in a way that is logical to me. Once you figure out the logic behind the entries, it really isn't all that cumbersome.

You meant it really isn't all that cumbersome for you, which is awesome (not sarcasm). I found it cumbersome. Obviously, we have different levels of tolerance for this sort of thing. Maybe because I know I can do it without this tool. If I needed it, I suppose it would be worth more effort.

I feel I need MFP for fitness. The challenges and my friends keep me focused on that. But diet, I can do that on my own.

Anyone can do it without this tool. I've never been more than on the high side of my healthy weight. I do it because I find it interesting and fun and I have an interest of what I put in my body.

But you are being dishonest with yourself when you said that you figured out all the tricks, because you obviously didn't and got defensive when it was pointed out. I really wasn't trying to insult you.

*sigh* Your comment: "You obviously don't know all the tricks if you weren't able to figure that out. " sounded pretty passive agressive to me. And I was getting pretty frustrated with everyone trying to tell me that the site isn't cumbersome, when obviously that's just opinion. You don't share my opinion, fine. Better than fine, great. Seriously, it's great that you like the food log. But why would that change my opinion?

And yes, I got the trick of looking up vegetables using the USDA phrasing after a while. But even then, not all of the non-user entries actually match the USDA site, so if it's not something I've used before, I have to actually go to the USDA site to verify it. Packaged items are just as bad IMO, because there are too many.

I don't know if I know all the tricks or not, because if I don't know a trick then I don't know it is a trick. It's unlikely that I do. But I do know my experience.

I just don't know why my experience makes others so testy.

It's not your experience that makes others testy. It's your posts in general.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    it's just hard to find the raw food as opposed to prcessed food!!!

Type in the word raw with your search and it's much easier.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    I don't think the OP will care to explain, she deactivated a few pages back.

i love the smell of ragequit in the morning.

tumblr_m9j7oiMYBQ1qzhglpo1_500.jpg
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    I guess it is easier because all you have to do is scan a bar code or look up a chain restaurant's nutritional info. However, after using MFP's recipe tool for some time and building up my own database of recipes I keep in regular rotation, I find it just as easy as it would be to log a frozen meal. Cooking for yourself will always take more work, whether it is the actual prep or logging!
    This^

I do a lot of my own cooking and enter recipes to help get the numbers in there. But I like having the convenience stuff available for the times I'm not cooking.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    It's okay that you don't feel the need to log. When I first started using this website, I was a bit confused too because it is so much easier when things are handed to me and organized in a way that is logical to me. Once you figure out the logic behind the entries, it really isn't all that cumbersome.

You meant it really isn't all that cumbersome for you, which is awesome (not sarcasm). I found it cumbersome. Obviously, we have different levels of tolerance for this sort of thing. Maybe because I know I can do it without this tool. If I needed it, I suppose it would be worth more effort.

I feel I need MFP for fitness. The challenges and my friends keep me focused on that. But diet, I can do that on my own.

Anyone can do it without this tool. I've never been more than on the high side of my healthy weight. I do it because I find it interesting and fun and I have an interest of what I put in my body.

But you are being dishonest with yourself when you said that you figured out all the tricks, because you obviously didn't and got defensive when it was pointed out. I really wasn't trying to insult you.

*sigh* Your comment: "You obviously don't know all the tricks if you weren't able to figure that out. " sounded pretty passive agressive to me. And I was getting pretty frustrated with everyone trying to tell me that the site isn't cumbersome, when obviously that's just opinion. You don't share my opinion, fine. Better than fine, great. Seriously, it's great that you like the food log. But why would that change my opinion?

And yes, I got the trick of looking up vegetables using the USDA phrasing after a while. But even then, not all of the non-user entries actually match the USDA site, so if it's not something I've used before, I have to actually go to the USDA site to verify it. Packaged items are just as bad IMO, because there are too many.

I don't know if I know all the tricks or not, because if I don't know a trick then I don't know it is a trick. It's unlikely that I do. But I do know my experience.

You can block me, ya know. Stress is unhealthy.
  • sjohnny

You don't stress me. But a lot of people find you irritating.

ETA: Most of the stuff you post is ridiculous and I find you irritating too but not to the point that I can't handle seeing what you've posted.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    MFP is a tool to use and you get out of it exactly what you put into it, if you are too lazy to weigh and log your food accurately who's fault is that? It takes me about 5 minutes to log my food for the day maybe 10 if I'm multitasking. Took me longer to backspace my snarky response to this than entering my food

I just glanced at a couple of days of your diary, but most of the foods were packaged foods which, as the OP pointed out, are easy to log.

I just glanced at a couple of days of your diary, but they were all blank.

Ad hominem, Ad hominem, ad hominem.

Factual statement, factual statement, factual statement.

I said nothing about her.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    That sure is a puzzler.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

ETA: Most of the stuff you post is ridiculous and I find you irritating too but not to the point that I can't handle seeing what you've posted.

That is unfortunate, but I am what I am. Luckily, this is a forum and they have the choice whether to read my posts or not.
  • sjohnny

That is unfortunate, but I am what I am. Luckily, this is a forum and they have the choice whether to read my posts or not.

I'm pretty sure most just read your posts to see what ridiculousness you're trotting out this time. One thing about you, you always bring the lulz.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    You get what you put in.

What you decide to get out of this tool is completely up to you.

So, I disagree with your OP.

Maybe you should reevaluate your use of the calorie counter and what you choose to put in your log.

Excellent post & I agree 100%

me too, the database of foods is primarily user input and sources that people have provided to the MFP staff it's not upto them to provide it for you, you should be making your own decisions and atleast now, if the information is correct you can edit it, so blame the people the incorrect information in, lack of information, crap food selections and take some responsibility for your own choices
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member

Ah, yes, but only if all those "hijacking" guidelines were taken seriously!
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    I don't feel that way, but I did feel that way about WW. That's why I quit WW and came over to MFP.

I get your point re MFP, OP. However, I concur with the person above and think most programs like WW are worse. When I was in WW, all they focused on was how to eat processed snack foods with less calories to get your treats in. I like that I have a holistic approach to eating now, and while it does take more time, I enter my own recipes into my data base and eat what I like/what's good for my body and soul.

most of those fad diet foods are fake anyway, they are full of sugar and salt to make up for the lack of flavor and lack of portion size. Healthy Choice, Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, Light'n'easy are all high in sodium for alot of the foods, far more then you should be inputing but it's simple. They want you fat so you keep ordering there food. Sure you can lose weight on them if you deprive yourself for the rest of your life but is that really living?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    I don't feel that way, but I did feel that way about WW. That's why I quit WW and came over to MFP.

I get your point re MFP, OP. However, I concur with the person above and think most programs like WW are worse. When I was in WW, all they focused on was how to eat processed snack foods with less calories to get your treats in. I like that I have a holistic approach to eating now, and while it does take more time, I enter my own recipes into my data base and eat what I like/what's good for my body and soul.

most of those fad diet foods are fake anyway, they are full of sugar and salt to make up for the lack of flavor and lack of portion size. Healthy Choice, Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, Light'n'easy are all high in sodium for alot of the foods, far more then you should be inputing but it's simple. They want you fat so you keep ordering there food. Sure you can lose weight on them if you deprive yourself for the rest of your life but is that really living?

Did you seriously just go the conspiracy route as to why these portion-controlled foods have the ingredients they have?

Alternatively, might it be because those ingredients are 1) cheaper, and 2) make their product taste good (enough that people continue to buy them)?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member

but why do your posts even exist? on this thread you mentioned that you don't use MFP to track your calories and haven't in years, plus you've haven't been overweight in decades and you aren't trying to bulk. Soooooo......you're using a calorie counting site to do what, exactly? Post stuff on the forums about logging even tho you don't actually log?

seriously asking.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member

Soooooo....sodium makes you fat?
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member

I really didn't mean to be passive. And I don't consider stating the obvious to be aggressive. But I appreciate the feedback.

I'm not testy at all. Just amused at the smugness being displayed over logging food and I'm con-fuddled that is something that would make anyone defensive.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member

Soooooo....sodium makes you fat?
    I get what they're getting at - a lot of those point-based systems and the food marketed with them have the effect of disguising that they are often in practice sub-1200 calorie starvation diets, which is basically a recipe for repeat customers. I wouldn't call it a conspiracy or wanting people to stay fat as much as I would catering to today's market. The whole 'lose weight fast' instant gratification thing, or as close to it as you can get when it comes to weight loss.

And yes, rebound from a starvation diet masked with weird math and extra sodium will make you fat. Ever heard someone talk about how weight lost on a diet comes back with buddies? Yep.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Not really.

A lot of foods have nutritional info on, not just unhealthy convenience foods, rice, pasta, bread, fresh juice, milk, tinned fruit/tomatoes, frozen veg, all pre-packed meat that you get in supermarkets. Even bags of fruit/veg have it on, unless you buy loose. The only stuff that doesn't have it is meat made fresh there and then (butchers etc) and loose fruit/veg. Despite this, all you need is a quick google search and you can find out the nutrition in say 100g of chicken breast - or you could log it the same as your local store's chicken, it's exactly the same stuff anyway (I'm not talking chicken with added extras to preserve it...salt, flavourings etc, I just mean the stuff that comes into the store already packed/labelled up)

Once you've been here a fair while, and logged your fair share of foods, you've just built yourself up a pretty solid database of recent foods. One click and you can enter it again any time in the future, only needing to change the amount, and you know the info is correct (assuming you checked it the first time round!)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Does anyone else fell like this site lends itself to prepackaged foods and/or commercial dining? It's easier to get nutritional information from those sources but you're really doing a disservice to your health!

Yes, 100% This is the reason I no longer log my food. When you eat a variety of home prepared foods from whole ingredients this site is not user friendly for logging meals.

I do it all the time, and I find it very user friendly. So I'd say it's not the tool (MFP) that encourages the 'convenience' nutrition, but the user. I add in meals that I do frequently so I just have one click to do it later. I add in recipes I make so I can add those easily. I've been doing this a year now, and I have no problem with recipes, meals, and whole foods/ingredients.

I'm sure it is easier if you have recipes you frequently use. But, I never use a recipe. I am a 'little bit of this, little bit of that' type cook. And even trying to look up something as simple as a red tomato will yield more than a dozen entries, so you either randomly pick one hoping it is correct, or you have to go to another site to get the correct information, then come back here and weed through all the entries till you find one that is correct and complete, or add a new one and add to the mess.

I logged for over a year. I used the recipe feature, which in itself is problematic in that it won't let you change amounts of ingredients. But it just took so much of my time. It was like having a second job.

Actually the tool being complained about - the phone app that enables easy *scanning* - will allow you edit quantities of ingredients. I do this all the time. Go to the same recipe, edit the weights. If I use oil instead of butter, change butter quantity to 0 and change oil to one tbsp or whatever. This literally takes seconds. Most of the "trouble" is in setting up the original recipe and then you're good to go. And I don't even use the website where the asterisk beside some entries is visible - this is good to know, I may use the website to add an ingredient for the first time in the future.

But like another member, again I would wonder about your having used the site for a year and participated in forums. There's tips flying around left and right all the time. And unless you eat exotic and new ingredients every single day of your life, after one year your frequent foods would be extremely easy to access, and you would know the calorie count of most foods and veg you use frequently. *shrugs*