Happy Saturday, Let's Talk Sugar . . .

Options

Replies

• Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Alan really is such a great wealth of knowledge. I just wish more people on this website would time the time out to read his stuff and watch his videos.

I do hope as a loyal follower of Alan you have coughed up the $49.95 for his book?

I'm more interested in his Research Reviews.
    Exactly.
    He's coming out with a book. Okay, does that mean anything? This is the 2nd time in the last 30 min you use that to try to discredit him. What is it that you don't agree with that he says?

I am not trying to discredit him - I personally do not know much about him (he has not appeared on my radar).

The first time I mentioned his book was in response to someone giving him credibility based on their comment of -

"Which would make sense for someone wishing to be educated to provide their clients with the best possible results as far as body composition and so on goes. Rather than trying to sell books on their chosen fad, their profits are likely based on how their views translate into real world results for real world people.

I was just pointing out that Alan is one of said people (by the way I am not saying that is a bad thing - it's just the facts).

The only reason I mentioned it on this thread is because it was in my mind and I though it would be amusing (sorry).
    Comments like that above are exactly why I said in the other thread that it appears you make statements simply for the purpose of creating debate. You say his intention is to promote his fad diet when that's nowhere close to what's his research is about. You criticize without even knowing.

No I didn't mention diet.

He has an angle (or fad) as the person I was responding to put it. I was just pointing out he's not doing it for free.

As for comments I make I will agree sometimes they are flippant and sarcastic, it's just my way of communicating with narrow minded people.

I haven't come on here to pick holes in the research, I agree that previous studies against sugar have been flawed (also peer reviewed). I was making a point that whilst this particular study is interesting it is also financed by parties with an interest. To insist as others have that there was not a preferred outcome of the study is a little naïve. That not to say that the finding were not correct, but studies can be carried out to give a favourable conclusion (hence the flawed peer reviewed anti sugar studies). not sure who would have financed those but I'm sure it wouldn't have been pepsi.
    How long has he been putting out free blogs, information/advice including over at bodybuilding.com -vs- how many books he has "peddled"?

In your opinion narrow minded people are those who accept that things can be simple and straight forward, have applied it without having to make excuses.

No in my opinion narrowed minded people are those who believe one size fits all and there is only one way of doing things.

Sound familiar?? and I'm not talking about Alan as I haven't read anything by him.

Oh the irony. :laugh:

My impression of you from your posting history Tennisdude is that you appear tunnel visioned towards the Paleo/Primal/low carb approach and can't see beyond it. I have watched you white knight anyone who is asked to provide credible evidence (that's NOT Mark's Daily Apple) that this particular approach is superior to others. I've experienced it first hand actually along with your snark and insults.

And here you are making accusations about 'narrow-minded people' believing that one size fits all.

You really should look in the mirror. :wink:

Regarding the article, it's a good read and pretty much reflects my opinions. I have never heard of Alan until MFP but I would feel comfortable recommending his site to people I come across in my line of work looking for this type of information.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Alan really is such a great wealth of knowledge. I just wish more people on this website would time the time out to read his stuff and watch his videos.

I do hope as a loyal follower of Alan you have coughed up the $49.95 for his book?

Exactly.
    He's coming out with a book. Okay, does that mean anything? This is the 2nd time in the last 30 min you use that to try to discredit him. What is it that you don't agree with that he says?

I am not trying to discredit him - I personally do not know much about him (he has not appeared on my radar).

The first time I mentioned his book was in response to someone giving him credibility based on their comment of -

"Which would make sense for someone wishing to be educated to provide their clients with the best possible results as far as body composition and so on goes. Rather than trying to sell books on their chosen fad, their profits are likely based on how their views translate into real world results for real world people.

I was just pointing out that Alan is one of said people (by the way I am not saying that is a bad thing - it's just the facts).

The only reason I mentioned it on this thread is because it was in my mind and I though it would be amusing (sorry).
    Comments like that above are exactly why I said in the other thread that it appears you make statements simply for the purpose of creating debate. You say his intention is to promote his fad diet when that's nowhere close to what's his research is about. You criticize without even knowing.

He has an angle (or fad) as the person I was responding to put it. I was just pointing out he's not doing it for free.

As for comments I make I will agree sometimes they are flippant and sarcastic, it's just my way of communicating with narrow minded people.

I haven't come on here to pick holes in the research, I agree that previous studies against sugar have been flawed (also peer reviewed). I was making a point that whilst this particular study is interesting it is also financed by parties with an interest. To insist as others have that there was not a preferred outcome of the study is a little naïve. That not to say that the finding were not correct, but studies can be carried out to give a favourable conclusion (hence the flawed peer reviewed anti sugar studies). not sure who would have financed those but I'm sure it wouldn't have been pepsi.
    How long has he been putting out free blogs, information/advice including over at bodybuilding.com -vs- how many books he has "peddled"?

In your opinion narrow minded people are those who accept that things can be simple and straight forward, have applied it without having to make excuses.

No in my opinion narrowed minded people are those who believe one size fits all and there is only one way of doing things.

Sound familiar?? and I'm not talking about Alan as I haven't read anything by him.
    And like I said before the ones on the other side of the fence are usually the ones here for a few months with not much to show for it just the ability to cite readings.

Sound familiar?

No
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Exactly.

My impression of you from your posting history Tennisdude is that you appear tunnel visioned towards the Paleo/Primal/low carb approach and can't see beyond it. I have watched you white knight anyone who is asked to provide credible evidence (that's NOT Mark's Daily Apple) that this particular approach is superior to others. I've experienced it first hand actually along with your snark and insults.

And here you are making accusations about 'narrow-minded people' believing that one size fits all.

Regarding the article, it's a good read and pretty much reflects my opinions. I have never heard of Alan until MFP but I would feel comfortable recommending his site to people I come across in my line of work looking for this type of information.

Lol.

Please feel free to look through my previous posts. You will not find one where I have said that LCHF is the only way to lose weight healthily.

I eat based on the primal blue print and for me it works great. I have never suggested it's for everyone and have always maintained that eating high carb or low carb in a deficit. The only thing I have been single minded on is eating sufficient protein and if training doing resistance training to spare muscle mass.

I will always defend LCHF against narrow minded people that speak without knowledge - as you have about my previous posts.

I'm very happy to look in the mirror - are you?
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    ADDED SUGAR--such as in coke, pepsi and processed food--how can it benefit our bodies. Am pretty sure it is better to avoid it as much as possible:

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/2014/03/nicknames-for-added-sugar/
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options

Exactly.

Lol.

Please feel free to look through my previous posts. You will not find one where I have said that LCHF is the only way to lose weight healthily.

I eat based on the primal blue print and for me it works great. I have never suggested it's for everyone and have always maintained that eating high carb or low carb in a deficit. The only thing I have been single minded on is eating sufficient protein and if training doing resistance training to spare muscle mass.

I will always defend LCHF against narrow minded people that speak without knowledge - as you have about my previous posts.

YOU are the one making the accusations about narrow-minded posters, not me.

You are funny. :laugh:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    ADDED SUGAR--such as in coke, pepsi and processed food--how can it benefit our bodies. Am pretty sure it is better to avoid it as much as possible:
    It is a carb, it is used as fuel by the body.
    Your body, as it goes, can't tell if the sugar was 'added' when the food was prepared by humans or when it grew out of the ground etc.
    In the UK the added sugar is generally sucrose, which is half glucose and half fructose.
    Glucose is ideal for replenishing muscle glycogen - fructose a lot less so.
    So those doing endurance sports or generally looking to keep their glycogen levels topped up for shorter workouts will find it of benefit.

If you're not overweight and are generally healthy, there don't seem to be significant adverse affects from having simpler carbs:
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-science-of-nutrition-is-a-carb-a-carb.html

I see no reason to avoid it.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

My wife and I are splitting a chocolate mousse and drinking craft beer right now, but I'll respond to this silliness later. Right now she's giving me the stink eye 'cause date night . . .
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Lol.

Ditto - but really feel free to look. (it's okay to be wrong).
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

My wife and I are splitting a chocolate mousse and drinking craft beer right now, but I'll respond to this silliness later. Right now she's giving me the stink eye 'cause date night . . .

I'm not surprised you are being given the stink eye if you're on a date night. MFP isn't going anywhere - we'll wait for you. lol
  • Sonicz90x
    Sonicz90x Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Your body, as it goes, can't tell if the sugar was 'added' when the food was prepared by humans or when it grew out of the ground etc.
    In the UK the added sugar is generally sucrose, which is half glucose and half fructose.
    So those doing endurance sports or generally looking to keep their glycogen levels topped up for shorter workouts will find it of benefit.

If you're not overweight and are generally healthy, there don't seem to be significant adverse affects from having simpler carbs:

I agree.Those that are in heavy training or have extraordinarily high energy requirements almost can't avoid higher amounts due to how available and easy the body uses it for energy.

Blanket statements such as "it's bad all the time" and "you should never eat this" only serve to confuse and misinform people.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Yep. I purposely try to have 'sugar heavy' food prior to my workout.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options

Lol.

Wouldn't that be a fun way to spend my Sunday...trawling through your old posts? No, I've had enough exposure to you to form an opinion that you are calling out narrow mindedness when in fact, you are frequently guilty yourself.

I remember this thread as an example. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1243053-keto-weight-loss-inches-vs-scale

Your comment to someone who asked the OP if they would ever eat rice, bread, cake, oatmeal, pizza again, was

"Just out of curiosity, why would someone want to eat rice, bread, cake, oatmeal or pizza again (taking into account there's still a few million more food combinations that can also be eaten)? "

Yep, you are sooooo very open-minded to a different approach to yours.....:laugh:
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I like you OP. In because I like sugar
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Do you mean his blogs (for a better word)?

No, but rather than playing coy what exactly is your criticism? He's one of several who I'd recommend to anyone looking for good information, but no one is above reproach.

No coy, I don't really know much about the guy. I'm just wondering why you seem so sensitive about the criticism about the study.

It seems there's a lot of love in the room for the word of Alan - I just found it a bit weird. I've been on the forums for the past couple of months today his name seems to be cropping up on a few threads.

I'm not anti sugar, personally I think that most case studies done are flawed as they are basing their studies on unrealistic consumption levels (in the real world).

Did you stop to think that his name crops up a lot because he is extremely respected in the industry - for good reason? I would recommend refraining from making insinuations until you do a bit more research about him and what he actually produces.

And yes, I have his book. It's full of great information with peer reviewed studies referenced.

Question: do you even know what his Research Reviews look like or contain?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

^ In the face of actual evidence "pretty sure" falls pretty short.
  • VeronicaG2B
    VeronicaG2B Posts: 54 Member
    Options

No, but rather than playing coy what exactly is your criticism? He's one of several who I'd recommend to anyone looking for good information, but no one is above reproach.

No coy, I don't really know much about the guy. I'm just wondering why you seem so sensitive about the criticism about the study.

It seems there's a lot of love in the room for the word of Alan - I just found it a bit weird. I've been on the forums for the past couple of months today his name seems to be cropping up on a few threads.

I'm not anti sugar, personally I think that most case studies done are flawed as they are basing their studies on unrealistic consumption levels (in the real world).

Did you stop to think that his name crops up a lot because he is extremely respected in the industry - for good reason? I would recommend refraining from making insinuations until you do a bit more research about him and what he actually produces.

And yes, I have his book. It's full of great information with peer reviewed studies referenced.

Peer reviewed studies are hot.

Just saying.

<sips on a Coke>
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Lol.

Wouldn't that be a fun way to spend my Sunday...trawling through your old posts? No, I've had enough exposure to you to form an opinion that you are calling out narrow mindedness when in fact, you are frequently guilty yourself.

I remember this thread as an example. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1243053-keto-weight-loss-inches-vs-scale

Your comment to someone who asked the OP if they would ever eat rice, bread, cake, oatmeal, pizza again, was

"Just out of curiosity, why would someone want to eat rice, bread, cake, oatmeal or pizza again (taking into account there's still a few million more food combinations that can also be eaten)? "

Yep, you are sooooo very open-minded to a different approach to yours.....:laugh:

That's great, a post taken out of context. Well done.

Maybe it would have been better to include the post before it so it can be taken in context!

But even out of context, how is that narrow minded, if you notice there is a question mark at the end of the sentence and not an exclamation mark.

I can see how a closed minded person can make the incorrect conclusion.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Peer reviewed studies are hot.

Just saying.

<sips on a Coke>

I think you're right peer review studies are good. Apart of course the hundred or so each year that are retracted.
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Just wow!
    If you like sugar and feel that you maintain a healthy enough diet....eat it
    If you like sugar but don't feel healty/maintain the weight you want....don't eat it
    Dont worry about what the person next to you is diong, as its NOT YOU!!!!

I skimmed through and my head hurts
    Enjoy/or Don't and have a good rest of the day :)