Challenge of not eating out for a week.

Options

Replies

• MsMaryMac48
    MsMaryMac48 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

This challenge is all about trying to cut back at all the extra cals we get from eating out and a bonus of saving money. :)
    [/quote]

We have jumped in on this challenge as well. We usually eat out once a week but are going to try to stop that except for special occassions like birthdays and even then cooking a nice meal at home can be more special. Our goal is the money saving and health saving aspect. I am growing more distrustful about those "other people" preparing my food.
  • sgvdms
    sgvdms Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I mean this in no offence at all, but where are you from?

In the UK (obviously I can't speak for everyone!) but most people I know hardly ever eat out. In fact I've only been out for dinner, once this year so far, it's not because I can't afford it either...just always cook at home/ bring food into work for lunch.

Seems like in the US it's a big thing!
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options

In the UK (obviously I can't speak for everyone!) but most people I know hardly ever eat out. In fact I've only been out for dinner, once this year so far, it's not because I can't afford it either...just always cook at home/ bring food into work for lunch.

You are probably right about the location thing. I live in the US, and it seems odd to people that I only eat out once every two weeks. It just seems silly to pay someone extra money to prepare a meal for me for any reason other than a date or special treat.
  • sheenashe10
    Options
    I'm from Canada but I do visit the USA once in a while. I know if I lived in the states, I would eat out often. Their restaurants are so cheap there. For a 5 piece chicken nugget is like 99 cents and over here in Canada it is like 4-5 dollars without the combo. Canada regulates its fast food by taxes and increase prices. I guess it's because the govn't pay for the health care and in the long run eating unhealthy may cause health problems later on. I eat out on weekend because it is quick and I hate cooking everyday.
  • angelicprettyy
    Options
    I realize I am extremely immature and mildly perverted but did anyone else smirk at the title of this topic? Sorry.
    :embarassed:
  • sheenashe10
    Options
    whoops I ate a large pepperoni pizza today :(

oops. It's ok restart tomorrow and go for a week. You can do it!
  • bl0ndez0mb1e
    Options
    Im in :)
    But then again...i never eat our XP

Agreed lol
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'm from Australia, and it is fairly common to get take away here (Probably why we're in the top 5 for fattest countries in the world).

We have a lot of 24 hour fast food outlets, and not many other options in terms of convenience. Subway stores are less common and they close earlier.
    The other option is really to make your own food if its something you can keep fresh, or if you can't, buy a pre made salad and chicken from somewhere. Therefore, people who work or study a lot kind of fall into traps of getting take away meals or at least buying coffees out. Most families also get take away pizza or fish and chips at least once a week or fortnight.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with coffee?
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm from Australia, and it is fairly common to get take away here (Probably why we're in the top 5 for fattest countries in the world).

We have a lot of 24 hour fast food outlets, and not many other options in terms of convenience. Subway stores are less common and they close earlier.
    The other option is really to make your own food if its something you can keep fresh, or if you can't, buy a pre made salad and chicken from somewhere. Therefore, people who work or study a lot kind of fall into traps of getting take away meals or at least buying coffees out. Most families also get take away pizza or fish and chips at least once a week or fortnight.

This is true, and we have so many cafes, bistros, beer gardens, pubs, coffee shops and restaurants as well. When I'm working in the city my work colleagues and I will eat out at a different cafe or restaurant a few times a week, plus then I'll meet friends for sundowners and a meal after work as well which really adds up for both calories and $$$. My partner and I will eat out at either a nice restaurant or get a take away pizza (wood fired and gourmet of course :wink: ) at least once a week. I can easily spend over $200 a week on eating out including alcohol.

I can't exactly join this challenge as I'm away on site and all my meals are made available from the mess but it is something I will do for myself when I get home for R&R. I'll be able to buy a whole new outfit including shoes with the money I save.
  • sheenashe10
    Options
    What's wrong with coffee?

I don't think anything is wrong with coffee, just the sugar and cream added to it. When I go out I buy lattes with whip cream so that cuts out a lot of cals.
  • sheenashe10
    Options

This is true, and we have so many cafes, bistros, beer gardens, pubs, coffee shops and restaurants as well. When I'm working in the city my work colleagues and I will eat out at a different cafe or restaurant a few times a week, plus then I'll meet friends for sundowners and a meal after work as well which really adds up for both calories and $$$. My partner and I will eat out at either a nice restaurant or get a take away pizza (wood fired and gourmet of course :wink: ) at least once a week. I can easily spend over $200 a week on eating out including alcohol.

I can't exactly join this challenge as I'm away on site and all my meals are made available from the mess but it is something I will do for myself when I get home for R&R. I'll be able to buy a whole new outfit including shoes with the money I save.

Let me know how you do when you start your challenge. A new you= a new outfit. :)
  • Sbrn_
    Sbrn_ Posts: 351 Member
    Options

I'm the same, I haven't eaten-out (teehee!) in just over two years (I don't count the occasional sugarless black coffee). At first I thought this was an absurdly easy challenge, but I suppose it's a cultural thing. Eating-out (teehee!teehee!) is just not something people do often where I'm from, plus I honestly don't enjoy it. I feel strange eating in public, dunno why. Aaaaanyway, good luck with your challenge OP! :flowerforyou:
  • jennalennafur
    jennalennafur Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I had a pretty big problem with this...and having food delivered to us as well! We decided to cut it out and we're on our third week without eating out.

Well okay, I had a burger with a friend a few days ago. (oops) XD
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Nothing bad eating out if your choices are wise. I eat out with my husband at least twice a week, Fridays' lunch and either a Saturday or Sunday dinner. But we don't do fast food.

I am the only one cooking so having somebody doing it for me and not having to worry about cleaning afterward is heavens :smile:

Last week I ate out three days outs, with no change in my weight. And we also have black coffee twice a day with Splenda.

I wish you good luck with your challenge.
  • sheenashe10
    Options
    My boyfriend and I had a pretty big problem with this...and having food delivered to us as well! We decided to cut it out and we're on our third week without eating out.

Well okay, I had a burger with a friend a few days ago. (oops) XD

Wow did it help you lose weight? You must feel great. Even though you ate a hamburger, you control yourself not to eat anything else out after that. Way to go!
  • sheenashe10
    Options
    Nothing bad eating out if your choices are wise. I eat out with my husband at least twice a week, Fridays' lunch and either a Saturday or Sunday dinner. But we don't do fast food.

I am the only one cooking so having somebody doing it for me and not having to worry about cleaning afterward is heavens :smile:

Last week I ate out three days outs, with no change in my weight. And we also have black coffee twice a day with Splenda.

I wish you good luck with your challenge.

Thank you. When I go out to eat, I just want to eat comfort food. I hate cooking all the time as well so I'm bringing out my slow cooker and making huge portions. My cousin told me if the food is shiny don't eat it. At the food court, even the salad have so much oil in it. I can't afford eating out at restaurants so it is mostly fast food such as pizza, hamburgers and sometimes chicken wraps. What do you like to eat when you eat out? When I do have money, I try to eat chicken or fish when I go to restaurants.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Oh my god, I saw this as "Challenge to not eat for a week", I about died and had three strokes after.

I'm in.
  • sheenashe10
    Options
    Oh my god, I saw this as "Challenge to not eat for a week", I about died and had three strokes after.

I'm in.

LOL image. that would be a nutty challenge. I love my food too much. Welcome to the challenge.