Challenge of not eating out for a week.

Options

Replies

• Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I mostly chose fish because I cook chicken a lot at home. Let me clarify that I cook breakfast, lunch and dinner for my husband and for me, all the time. And I have been cooking for 51 years because my mom died when I was in my late teens, so YES, I am a little bit tired of my cooking duties and all that comes along with it. Preparation, actual cooking and washing.

I am rather particular about where I eat out, and so is my husband. We don't do fast food such as McD, Wendy's etc, or even Chinese or Mexican (no offense to anybody). We prefer local places or Mimis' Cafe for lunch and other restaurants for dinner, including steak houses some times. But I do understand and respect that budgets restrictions may limit some people to eat out every week.

I read menus on line, even if the nutritional values are not available, and I try to make the best choice of meal, even if sometimes is hard to find an equivalent in this database

For me eating out is like socializing or having a date with my husband, and also a reason for dressing up. It is fun!
  • sheenashe10
    Options
    I mostly chose fish because I cook chicken a lot at home. Let me clarify that I cook breakfast, lunch and dinner for my husband and for me, all the time. And I have been cooking for 51 years because my mom died when I was in my late teens, so YES, I am a little bit tired of my cooking duties and all that comes along with it. Preparation, actual cooking and washing.

I am rather particular about where I eat out, and so is my husband. We don't do fast food such as McD, Wendy's etc, or even Chinese or Mexican (no offense to anybody). We prefer local places or Mimis' Cafe for lunch and other restaurants for dinner, including steak houses some times. But I do understand and respect that budgets restrictions may limit some people to eat out every week.

I read menus on line, even if the nutritional values are not available, and I try to make the best choice of meal, even if sometimes is hard to find an equivalent in this database

For me eating out is like socializing or having a date with my husband, and also a reason for dressing up. It is fun!

Dressing up is so much fun. That is amazing you still go out on dates with your husband. You are one lucky wife. I haven't dress up forever. I refuse to buy new clothes that fit until I lose some weight. If you are ever in Canada. You should try the Keg, they have amazing steaks.
  • pammerz88
    pammerz88 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I could easily not eat out for a week but I can't and won't give up my daily coffee.

You don't have give up coffee. You can make your coffee. If you want to drink coffee out just get it plain. This challenge is all about trying to cut back at all the extra cals we get from eating out and a bonus of saving money. :)

I make my own coffee everyday at work so this will be easy for me.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I ended up being too lazy to cook my planned meal for dinner, so I drove to Woolworths and bought a roast chicken. I suppose that probably counts as take away, but on the plus side I just ate the breast and not any of the skin or stuffing, and I could have gone somewhere worse.

Oh well, I will try better for the rest of the week :) tomorrow night I've planned to cook a healthy meal.
  • sheenashe10
    Options
    I ended up being too lazy to cook my planned meal for dinner, so I drove to Woolworths and bought a roast chicken. I suppose that probably counts as take away, but on the plus side I just ate the breast and not any of the skin or stuffing, and I could have gone somewhere worse.

Oh well, I will try better for the rest of the week :) tomorrow night I've planned to cook a healthy meal.

Is Woolworths a grocery store? I guess it really doesn't count of take out. And besides in not being dump in oil or being fry at the store. Just pre-cook. I find the quickest way to make dinner is fish, just bake in the oven with some seasoning and add some veggies. Do you have a slow cooker? if you do, you can just throw some meat in and when you come back home, the food will be ready. :)

That's great that you just ate the white meat. :) Did you throw the skin away?
  • sheenashe10
    Options
    So tonight I made turkey chilli with beans. I got the recipe from the turkey meat package from Prime. It was really good. What did you have for dinner?
  • mzbek24
    Options
    Yeah it's a supermarket in Australia/NZ.

That's a good idea with slow cooking! I have one, I'll have to look around for something healthy to cook in there other than curries lol. It's getting cool over here this time of year, so comfort food like soups and casseroles etc are nice again.

I used to do big batches of veggie soup, or chicken and veg and also a jug of fresh fruit and veggie juices, that way I could just get it out of the fridge and breakfast or lunch would be sorted. And it lasts a few days :)

I just left the rest of the roast chicken in the fridge, I'm sure dad will eat the skin and stuffing etc for sandwiches.
  • sheenashe10
    Options
    Day 3 of not eat out at restaurants! You can do it everyone. I feel great. I am looking at my food diary and for the past 2 days I am under my calories intake. Did you realize that too?
  • samamps88
    samamps88 Posts: 52
    Options
    I am sorry but I personally find it a very sad state of affairs that our culture has become so reliant on eating 'out' that it is considered a challenge to go a week without doing so.
  • pammerz88
    pammerz88 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am sorry but I personally find it a very sad state of affairs that our culture has become so reliant on eating 'out' that it is considered a challenge to go a week without doing so.

I agree!
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I mean this in no offence at all, but where are you from?

In the UK (obviously I can't speak for everyone!) but most people I know hardly ever eat out. In fact I've only been out for dinner, once this year so far, it's not because I can't afford it either...just always cook at home/ bring food into work for lunch.

Seems like in the US it's a big thing!

Yeah I was surprised by this thread too! A week?
  • sheenashe10
    Options

I agree!

Its hard to eat home on the weekends when you go shopping or you are out and about. Some people have no time to cook after work. Going out is fast and cheap. Yes it is sad but it is what we became. Our society especially a city society loves our fast pace life.
  • sheenashe10
    Options
    I mean this in no offence at all, but where are you from?

In the UK (obviously I can't speak for everyone!) but most people I know hardly ever eat out. In fact I've only been out for dinner, once this year so far, it's not because I can't afford it either...just always cook at home/ bring food into work for lunch.

Seems like in the US it's a big thing!

Yeah I was surprised by this thread too! A week?

A week for now and maybe a mth later on when we are ready. But let's start with small steps first.
  • sheenashe10
    Options
    Day 4 I hope everyone is doing well. It's been pretty easy so far because I am eating my left overs. :) tonight I am making Indian food.:) YUmmi. What are you making tonight?
  • mzbek24
    Options
    Woohoo! well done. I hope everyone is managing as well with their efforts. I have been going well too, mainly because I didn't go anywhere the past two days so that I could finish an assignment, though :P
  • sheenashe10
    Options
    Woohoo! well done. I hope everyone is managing as well with their efforts. I have been going well too, mainly because I didn't go anywhere the past two days so that I could finish an assignment, though :P

Yuppi! Good luck on your assignment. Kick butt!
  • sheenashe10
    Options
    So I went to the mall and bought my own lunch. I was so proud of myself. I even ate it in the food court. I was very tempted to get something but didn't. I did however have to order a fresh juice of beets, carrots and apple though. My hypoglycemia kick in big time and my lunch wasn't enough, I needed a fast sugar rush because I was getting light headed. :(
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Lol, I think I failed. I grabbed some 7-11 coffee and some pizza bahaha.
    Oh well, I kept within my calories and exercised, so it's all good!
  • JNaqvi17
    JNaqvi17 Posts: 9
    Options
    In. Too late to start today, but tomorrow definitely. Huzzah.