I don't see the point to this lift! What say you? : )

Options

Replies

• Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options

That's like the "*kitten*" of weightlifting. I think they should take it to the next level and do that while riding downhill in a shopping cart.

This I can agree with, when something is pointless and done only for ego, that's when people hurt themselves
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    lol crossfit must be the only training protocol/'sport' where participants intentionally set out to hurt themselves.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Great. Now all we need is some lawyer suing Ivanko into putting a sticker on all kettle bells saying "Please do not stand on the handle or bell."
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Pistol squats are great.....pistol squats with a loaded barbell overhead is crazy, IMO. And the KB one is just ridiculous. Although I will say, those people have incredible balance and control
    still not recommended however.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Pistol squats are great.....pistol squats with a loaded barbell overhead is crazy, IMO. And the KB one is just ridiculous. Although I will say, those people have incredible balance and control
    [/quote

Agreed
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    asking for trouble
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Great. Now all we need is some lawyer suing Ivanko into putting a sticker on all kettle bells saying "Please do not stand on the handle or bell."

LOL - You know this is coming
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Works a lot of the muscles used to stabilize and balance the body. While I wouldn't be adding it to my routine, I can see the value. It's no less valid than some of the exercises the "so-called experts" recommend.

You'll see more results, if done properly, than all the fad diets combined.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I think the exercise standing on the kettlebell is called 'ballcrushers'
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    That's like the "*kitten*" of weightlifting. I think they should take it to the next level and do that while riding downhill in a shopping cart.
    1331660438_bike_wheelie_bench_pressing.gif

ETA : To be entirely honest, mirin'
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Crossfit?

was there ever any doubt?

1b2157e533492e78297c16e6cbe1dfceb91d191.gif
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have incredible balance and control, too. I used to rollerblade all the time. I even fell a few times and thanks to my balance and control, I didn't even get a scratch.

Then one day, I fell and shattered my wrist and fractured my elbow. I imagine the day one of these people messes up, the injuries will be far worse.
  • TheRoadDog
    Options
    I have incredible balance and control, too. I used to rollerblade all the time. I even fell a few times and thanks to my balance and control, I didn't even get a scratch.

Then one day, I fell and shattered my wrist and fractured my elbow. I imagine the day one of these people messes up, the injuries will be far worse.

What about the person that parachutes successfully 999 times and then his parachute doesn't open on the 1,000th time, Or race car drivers or mountain climbers? Calculated risk.

I wouldn't do it and I wouldn't recommend it, but I understand taking the risk for the benefits.
  • SalemBoSox88
    Options
    Guess I am old school. Don't Get Crossfit.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

What about the person that parachutes successfully 999 times and then his parachute doesn't open on the 1,000th time, Or race car drivers or mountain climbers? Calculated risk.

I wouldn't do it and I wouldn't recommend it, but I understand taking the risk for the benefits.
    There are calculated risks, risks where the benefits outweigh the risks and then there are actions that would qualify a person for the Darwin Awards.

I put this into the latter category.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I'm impressed.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    it's just a "party trick" lift... pay it no heed and move on.

sure, the skill needed to perform is impressive, but you know, if you don't wanna do it, don't. they obviously do.
  • TheRoadDog
    Options

There are calculated risks, risks where the benefits outweigh the risks and then there are actions that would qualify a person for the Darwin Awards.

I put this into the latter category.

I agree with you, but what are the benefits of recreational parachuting? Racing? Mountain climbing? Football? Are the risks worth the adrenaline rush? To some people they are. The pistol squats work otherwise less developed muscles the same way that doing sit ups on a ball work lesser used core muscles.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    "I'm Johnny Knoxville...and welcome to CrossFit."

Let's see...Pistol Squat Snatch?

"Yo dawg, we heard you like compound lifts so we compounded your compound lifts"

I'll file this under the "Oh yeah, well...I bet you can't lift weight THIS way" mentality of a YMCA psuedotrainer, though the equipment and background make it look suspiciously like something that rhymes with Brossfit...

I bet he superset these with juggling kettlebells while standing on a bosu ball. You know, to engage his core.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever seen anything that stupid. The risk/benefit ratio is unimaginably lopsided.