"but it would be such a bother to LOG your food"

Options

Replies

• FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    If you don't log it, you can't track it. If you can't track it, you can't measure it. If you can't measure it, you can't change it. If you can't change it = fail.

That's just silly.

Logging and tracking works for a lot of people. Some people terribly underestimate how much food they eat, and have no clue what a portion is. So for a lot of people, tracking and logging helps a lot and can't be without it.

I on the other hand, can only track for a little bit and then I become kind of "obsessed" with food, which leads to a number of issues.

I don't think a s single weight loss strategy works across the board. For some people logging and tracking is great, for others it is a trigger.

To each their own ;)
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    If you don't log it, you can't track it. If you can't track it, you can't measure it. If you can't measure it, you can't change it. If you can't change it = fail.

That's just silly.

Almost as silly as someone who has maintained the same weight for decades and never logged a frikkin thing spending so much time on a food logging website.

Who would that be? Certainly not me, on either count. I logged regularly for some time. And I have not been the same weight for decades.

Also, this is a fitness site with a food logging feature. I use the site for one, but not the other. I'm not sure why that irritates you so, or why it's even your business.

It doesn't irritate me. I just find it odd that you feel the overwhelming need to point out the fact that you don't log your food any time anyone makes a comment about logging their food..... on a food logging site.

Um, because the OP asked.

Where is the fitness feature on MFP?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

That's just silly.

Logging and tracking works for a lot of people. Some people terribly underestimate how much food they eat, and have no clue what a portion is. So for a lot of people, tracking and logging helps a lot and can't be without it.

I on the other hand, can only track for a little bit and then I become kind of "obsessed" with food, which leads to a number of issues.

I don't think a s single weight loss strategy works across the board. For some people logging and tracking is great, for others it is a trigger.

To each their own ;)

I totally agree. I wasn't suggesting logging was silly. The notion that one can't change without logging is silly.
  • bcattoes
    Options

That's just silly.

Almost as silly as someone who has maintained the same weight for decades and never logged a frikkin thing spending so much time on a food logging website.

Who would that be? Certainly not me, on either count. I logged regularly for some time. And I have not been the same weight for decades.

Also, this is a fitness site with a food logging feature. I use the site for one, but not the other. I'm not sure why that irritates you so, or why it's even your business.

It doesn't irritate me. I just find it odd that you feel the overwhelming need to point out the fact that you don't log your food any time anyone makes a comment about logging their food..... on a food logging site.

On my friends list. In the MFP challenges. In the exercise log.
  • purplemurfy
    purplemurfy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Whether or not you find it helpful will depend largely on you, your decisions about food, your commitment to losing, how accurately you log, etc. But....it is a proven fact that more people lose more weight if they keep track (i.e. log) their food.

Clearly if a person is determined to lose weight, they can do it without logging....it is just a tool that has proven to be successful.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

That's just silly.

To each their own ;)

I totally agree. I wasn't suggesting logging was silly. The notion that one can't change without logging is silly.

And I wasn't disagreeing with you about the statement you called silly. I just find it interesting that you would call out silliness when you are nothing but silly around here.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but it was even more of a bother cringing and hating what I saw every time I passed a mirror. Logging FTW.
  • kilsafari
    kilsafari Posts: 61
    Options
    I just enjoy logging, I think its fun. I like making lists in general though.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options

That's just silly.

Those are additional features, tracking tools is the core product.

Extolling the benefits of logging on a website that is primarily designed towards that aspect of health and fitness is not silly. The OP didn't say you couldn't change without logging, but rather that it was worth the trouble.
  • jhellwig828
    jhellwig828 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I love it! I like seeing it in black and white. I work in accounting and I love being able to see it all there in front of me. The pie chart toally satisfies my inner-geek :) I am at maintenance now and totally plan on logging for as long as I need to.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I am a visual person! I need to log to see what I am eating. It has worked so far for me. For those of you that don't need to log- that's awesome for you. Maybe I will be there one day, but for now I'll be logging away!
  • bcattoes
    Options

That's just silly.

Those are additional features, tracking tools is the core product.

Extolling the benefits of logging on a website that is primarily designed towards that aspect of health and fitness is not silly. The OP didn't say you couldn't change without logging, but rather that it was worth the trouble.

??? Go back and read the post I quoted and replied to.
  • Ryan_Reborn
    Options
    People take the time to take pictures their food and post them on instagram. I prefer MFP!
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    yup... I love me enough to bother!! how 'bout you?

AMEN
    Preach it, Sister!
  • katiehbell
    katiehbell Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I need to see it written down. It actually stops me eating rubbish when I have to write it down. My son had a wonderful word when at school called the "smuggers ". Just means you feel so smug at your achievements. Well would like to announce I am a SMUGGER. And happy to be one. I will continue writing down. Happy days.
  • timetravelforfitness
    timetravelforfitness Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I like logging because I have obsessive tendencies and like to see the lists. I keep better track that way. If I don't log I won't remember everything I ate and I'll freak a bit.

This is me too. Every so often I have a day like today where I think, I just won't log what I ate, I don't want anyone to see! And then I think about how sad I was to lose my chain when traveling for a funeral, and I just lose it. "It's CHEATING!" ... I am just a bit too obsessive. But I can see how it wouldn't work for other people.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Every time I stop logging, I stop losing weight, so I log everything I eat.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Yes....I like this, and by the way, I don't think it's silly. Best.:smile:
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Im happy to log my food too, its been a real eye opener for me and has really got me interested in health and nutrition :smile:
  • luvmydawgs
    luvmydawgs Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I log everything too! Well....almost everything!