Gals who lift heavy...

Options
124»

Replies

• awise19
    awise19 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I really need to add all you ladies. Get my PRs up while seeing all of yours as motivation!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Still in the learning phase of weight lifting, we worked on overhead squats today UUUGGGHHH, so much to think about and learn to do this correctly.

I know you didn't ask so feel free to disregard, but I think maybe overhead squats should wait until you're more at the intermediate stage. I'd personally recommend sticking with the basics when you're starting out.

What program are you doing?

I would assume it's a CrossFit program. Overhead squats were pretty routine in most workouts, however, they were never part of the strength focus at the gyms that I've been too. Form was taught and practiced, but we never did programming for them like 5x5 or max effort.

Ah I see,

I tried to do them when I first started lifting and it was Very Bad Idea. :flowerforyou:
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for 5 years now, but I started when I was only 113 pounds after an ugly divorce and severe illness... it took me 3 years to gain up to 130 pounds. So I only started lifting progressively heavier about a year and change ago and getting very serious about it. I also took a couple of months to recover from a back injury last year (unrelated).

CW - 133 lbs
    Height - 5'9"
    GW - Stay around 130 lbs. Not trying to lose, comfortable between 130-135. I'm not allowed to drop below 130.

Bench Press - 75 lbs
    Incline Fly - 20 lbs
    OHP - 50 lbs
    Squats & lunges - 90 lbs (ATG, 40 lbs)
    Leg press - 270 lbs

I'm REALLY impressed with all of the achievements of my fellow ladies! So my goal is just to keep trying to go further and harder and stronger.

ETA: I am just now starting to work on deadlifts thanks to an old injury, so my numbers are laughable there, but I'm trying! :D
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Still in the learning phase of weight lifting, we worked on overhead squats today UUUGGGHHH, so much to think about and learn to do this correctly.

I know you didn't ask so feel free to disregard, but I think maybe overhead squats should wait until you're more at the intermediate stage. I'd personally recommend sticking with the basics when you're starting out.

I would assume it's a CrossFit program. Overhead squats were pretty routine in most workouts, however, they were never part of the strength focus at the gyms that I've been too. Form was taught and practiced, but we never did programming for them like 5x5 or max effort.

Ah I see,

I tried to do them when I first started lifting and it was Very Bad Idea. :flowerforyou:

It depends on the end goal though.

If you're going to be a powerlifter, or just do some basic weight training, then yeah, pretty unnecessary*.

If you're going to snatch, then they pretty much are a step 1 fundamental, because if you can't overhead squat, you can't snatch!

*Even then, I'd still say they are awesome for a bit of core stability.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Ah I see,

If you're going to be a powerlifter, or just do some basic weight training, then yeah, pretty unnecessary*.

If you're going to snatch, then they pretty much are a step 1 fundamental, because if you can't overhead squat, you can't snatch!

Fair enough.

:flowerforyou:
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options

Ah I see,

I totally agree on the core stability. My abs never hurt the day after quite as much as when I do a lot of OHS work.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Ah I see,

I totally agree on the core stability. My abs never hurt the day after quite as much as when I do a lot of OHS work.

*waves white flag* :laugh:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I don't have 1RM numbers (and it's been a while since I've been under a barbell, which is a source of sadness for me. Anyway)

Weigh at the the time: 138-140ish (135 now)
    Squat 5x5: 140
    Deadlift 2x5: 165
    Bench 5x5: 80
    OHP 5x5: I don't wanna talk about it.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I am so inspired by this thread! I definitely need to step up my upper-body game.

CW: 155

Squat: 210
    Row: 50
    Deadlift: 80
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I was out of the gym for several months before I decided to bulk, so basically, I started over. My current calculated 1RMs, set last week (except deadlift, which I haven't been doing regularly).

OHP - 65
    Squat - 145
    Bench - 87 (weak, but meh, it's going up this week or next)
    Deadlift - 183

Weight - 130

Working weight sets are still going up steadily, so maxes will, too.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I don't have 1RM numbers (and it's been a while since I've been under a barbell, which is a source of sadness for me. Anyway)

I didn't list mine.

I think it's like 75.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options

I'm assuming by the laughter that you're not taking it too seriously, but just in case you were, it wasn't an attack, just my opinion (read - sales pitch) on both why I think a beginner could be doing them, and that they are an underrated lift. :laugh:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I'm assuming by the laughter that you're not taking it too seriously, but just in case you were, it wasn't an attack, just my opinion (read - sales pitch) on both why I think a beginner could be doing them, and that they are an underrated lift. :laugh:

No no, I didn't take it as an attack. I live in powerlifter world, where we all worship at the altar of Stronglifts (:wink: ), and am totally willing to admit that I don't know everything there is to know.

For me personally, they were the first kind of squats I tried. And since I hadn't learned proper form on regular squats yet, it didn't go well. And when I mentioned it not going well, a bunch of people on my list were like "wtf were you doing trying that anyway?" :blushing: But again, that's for me personally and may not apply at all to people in different situations.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I didn't list mine.

I think it's like 75.

I think 70 is mine. It's a source of much frustration and shame; I feel like everything else always moves along smoothly but that damn OHP.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

I didn't list mine.

I think it's like 75.

I think 70 is mine. It's a source of much frustration and shame; I feel like everything else always moves along smoothly but that damn OHP.

I don't want to talk about how long my OHP has been sitting at 70lbs....:cry:
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options

I didn't list mine.

I think it's like 75.

I don't want to talk about how long my OHP has been sitting at 70lbs....:cry:

OHP is the bane of my existence.
  • rosetat74
    rosetat74 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Current weight: 135

I just started Stronglifts in Feb. so I'm about 10 weeks in... and WOW do I have a ways to go with upper body :grumble:

Working weights:
    Squat- 100lb
    Deadlift- 190lb
    Bench- 65lb
    OP- bar (I really dislike putting heavy things over my head)
    Row- 70

Goals for the year are Squat 100% BW (knee issues keep me from going higher with this one), Deadlift 200% BW, Bench in the triple digits, OP 50% of BW.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Dumbell shoulder press are much more satisfying than OHP....
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

Yes, but 5lb increments on a lift that's weak to begin with are easier than trying to jump by 10lbs.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

i see you DB shoulder press and raise you the arnold press.

THAT's satisfying :love: