Any 90's grunge, punk or rock fans out there?

Options

Replies

• AirborneEd
    Options
    :bigsmile: OOps just saw them on the list.
  • AirborneEd
    Options
    Oasis.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    Spin off from the other post, just wondering.

Obviously you can tell by my sn I like Social Distortion... lol

I also dig...
    Alice in Chains
    Bad religion
    Blues Traveler
    Bush
    Counting Crows
    Crossfade,
    Flogging Molly
    Foo Fighters
    Old Green Day
    Marilyn Manson
    NIN
    Nirvana
    The Offspring
    System of a Down
    Seether
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Stone temple pilots
    Sublime
    Temple of a Dog
    Third eye blind
    Tool

And I am sure they are more I have forgotten... What bands do you like?

So I just deleted the ones from your list that I either never heard of, or didn't care for. 90s rock/alternative bands that I loved and weren't on your list:
    Mother Love Bone
    Pearl Jam (formerly known as Mother Love Bone)
    Jane's Addiction
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Blind Melon
    Danzig
    Pantera
    White Zombie
    Soundgarden

I started off the 90s in high school, then college, then with two babies in '97 and '99. Fun times, the 90s.

I'm going to be nitpicky here, but Mother Love Bone was not Pearl Jam. Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament from Mother Love Bone became members of Pearl Jam, but MLB's frontman (Andrew Wood) died, and Bruce Fairweather wasn't a part of Pearl Jam.

Mookie Blaylock was Pearl Jam's original name, but had to change it because it was the name of a basketball player and there were copyright issues (interestingly, "Ten" is a reference to Blaylock's number).

anyway... i'm sorry for being so particular about it.

Nitpick all you want, but if Andrew Wood had not died, then Pearl Jam would not exist. :smokin:

Your "history" left out Temple of the Dog entirely, which I did not mention because it had been in the original list in the OP. I was attempting to type out a band history, just a list of bands.

Well, I think it's obvious that Wood dying was the key component for the eventual formation for Pearl Jam. I wasn't saying that it wasn't. Just like maybe the Foo Fighters would not exist had it not been for Cobain's death (although, you could successfully argue that Nirvana would have eventually broken up because Cobain was so volatile anyway and Grohl would have still formed a new band).

I was not giving a comprehensive history, just addressing specifically that Mother Love Bone was not formerly Pearl Jam, and that Mookie Blaylock was formerly Pearl Jam.

I can understand your hostility, because I was a little annoyed with myself for feeling compelled to write something.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I also dig...
    Alice in Chains
    Bad religion
    Blues Traveler
    Bush
    Counting Crows
    Crossfade,
    Flogging Molly
    Foo Fighters
    Old Green Day
    Marilyn Manson
    NIN
    Nirvana
    The Offspring
    System of a Down
    Seether
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Stone temple pilots
    Sublime
    Temple of a Dog
    Third eye blind
    Tool

So I just deleted the ones from your list that I either never heard of, or didn't care for. 90s rock/alternative bands that I loved and weren't on your list:
    Mother Love Bone
    Jane's Addiction
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Blind Melon
    Danzig
    Pantera
    White Zombie
    Soundgarden

I started off the 90s in high school, then college, then with two babies in '97 and '99. Fun times, the 90s.

I'm going to be nitpicky here, but Mother Love Bone was not Pearl Jam. Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament from Mother Love Bone became members of Pearl Jam, but MLB's frontman (Andrew Wood) died, and Bruce Fairweather wasn't a part of Pearl Jam.

Mookie Blaylock was Pearl Jam's original name, but had to change it because it was the name of a basketball player and there were copyright issues (interestingly, "Ten" is a reference to Blaylock's number).

Nitpick all you want, but if Andrew Wood had not died, then Pearl Jam would not exist. :smokin:

Your "history" left out Temple of the Dog entirely, which I did not mention because it had been in the original list in the OP. I was attempting to type out a band history, just a list of bands.

Well, I think it's obvious that Wood dying was the key component for the eventual formation for Pearl Jam. I wasn't saying that it wasn't. Just like maybe the Foo Fighters would not exist had it not been for Cobain's death (although, you could successfully argue that Nirvana would have eventually broken up because Cobain was so volatile anyway and Grohl would have still formed a new band).

I was not giving a comprehensive history, just addressing specifically that Mother Love Bone was not formerly Pearl Jam, and that Mookie Blaylock was formerly Pearl Jam.

I can understand your hostility, because I was a little annoyed with myself for feeling compelled to write something.

Sorry, but neither was I. I'm not hostile, just pointing out that if you are going to "nitpick" and state that someone isn't 100% accurate about something, be sure of their motivation and that your info is actually accurate. :wink:
  • The_1_Who_Knocks
    The_1_Who_Knocks Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Nobody has mentioned the Gin Blossoms I don't think. New Miserable Experience was a d*mn good album with a sad story behind it.
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    no.
  • Shelley6591
    Shelley6591 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

I also dig...
    Alice in Chains
    Bad religion
    Blues Traveler
    Bush
    Counting Crows
    Crossfade,
    Flogging Molly
    Foo Fighters
    Old Green Day
    Marilyn Manson
    NIN
    Nirvana
    The Offspring
    System of a Down
    Seether
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Stone temple pilots
    Sublime
    Temple of a Dog
    Third eye blind
    Tool

Mother Love Bone
    Jane's Addiction
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Blind Melon
    Danzig
    Pantera
    White Zombie
    Soundgarden

Sorry, but neither was I. I'm not hostile, just pointing out that if you are going to "nitpick" and state that someone isn't 100% accurate about something, be sure of their motivation and that your info is actually accurate. :wink:

His info is completely accurate actually. Mookie Blaylock was Pearl Jam just a different name, exact same people songs everything, Mother Love Bone was only two members of Pearl Jam, so three members short. Temple of The Dog was a tribute band, half Pearl Jam half Soundgarden. I know you were just compiling a list, he was just correcting you. Watch PJ 20, it's all there.
  • Bun_Ya
    Bun_Ya Posts: 174
    Options
    Any Morphine fans out there?
    *Waves hello*
  • Ihatecoldsoup
    Options
    ITT OP asks for 90's bands
    People come in and list bands that are not from the 90's
    smh
    ???????
    profit
    well, you have bands that started in the 90's, but didn't get famous until much later and bands that started earlier but blew up in the 90's
  • socialdchic
    socialdchic Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    If I forgot that, that SO should have been on the list, it was a rushed list so like I said I know I forgot a few... I also forgot at least candlebox
    Awesome list! I didn't see my favorite grunge band, Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger is one of the best albums of all time!
  • socialdchic
    Options
    I LOVE his voice, not a huge fan of his solo stuff though :(
    Awesome list! I didn't see my favorite grunge band, Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger is one of the best albums of all time!

Chris Cornell has arguably the best voice to come out of that era/genre.
  • socialdchic
    Options
    Did I leave Pearl Jam off? HUGE mistake if I did, I also dig Eddie Vedder's solo stuff as well
    Excellent list. The only one I'd add is Pearl Jam

otherwise you have wrapped up the soundtrack of my life pretty nicely
  • socialdchic
    Options
    ahh yes, blind melon is another I left off along with pearl jam

I also dig...
    Alice in Chains
    Bad religion
    Blues Traveler
    Bush
    Counting Crows
    Crossfade,
    Flogging Molly
    Foo Fighters
    Old Green Day
    Marilyn Manson
    NIN
    Nirvana
    The Offspring
    System of a Down
    Seether
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Stone temple pilots
    Sublime
    Temple of a Dog
    Third eye blind
    Tool

Mother Love Bone
    Jane's Addiction
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Blind Melon
    Danzig
    Pantera
    White Zombie
    Soundgarden

• socialdchic
    Options
    I love Eve 6 too
    Not sure if this will count as rock or grunge, but definitely 90s. We have the Summerland Tour coming to our town in the near future.

Everclear
    Eve6
    Soul Asylum
    Spacehog

Nothing in this world says 90s to me like "In the Meantime" by Spacehog. I also had a long-standing love of Everclear in my jr. high and high school days. Can't say as much for the other two, but NINETIES!!!

I also get pretty excited when I hear The Toadies, Candlebox, Sponge, Bad Religion, many others pop on the radio now and again.

ETA: Oh yeah, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, STP... I know I'll think of more as soon as I have save...
  • socialdchic
    Options
    SOcial D was a given due to my screen name lol, is saw them 2 years ago (hard to go to concerts with a young kid atm) but I was close enough at the front I could have touched Mike Ness if i wanted!

I also dig...
    Alice in Chains
    Bad religion
    Better than ezra,
    Blues Traveler
    Bush
    Cake
    Counting Crows
    Crossfade,
    Deftones
    Dinosaur Jr
    The Distillers
    Dropkick murphys
    Eagle eye cherry
    Flogging Molly
    Foo Fighters
    Old Green Day
    Jack Off Jill
    Mad Season
    Marcy Playground
    Marilyn Manson
    NIN
    Nirvana
    The Offspring
    Rancid
    Scars on Broadway/Serj Tankian/System of a Down
    Seether
    Silverchair
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Stone temple pilots
    Sublime
    Tantric
    Temple of a Dog
    Third eye blind
    Tool

I would add Social D, NOFX, Street Dogs, Gimme Gimmes, Transplants, Anti-Flag, Gaslight Anthem, Hot Water Music, Rise Against and Black Flag

I've seen about 80% of this list too!
  • socialdchic
    Options
    If they were not on my original list they were meant to be there as well, i also mentioned I know I forgot some good ones lol
    Nobody has mentioned the Gin Blossoms I don't think. New Miserable Experience was a d*mn good album with a sad story behind it.
  • FoxBean
    FoxBean Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Depeche Mode, Marilyn Manson, NIN, Vast, Stabbing Westward

Oh yes Vast, how could I forget Vast! :smile: :heart:

My favorite song is "touched". Like, favorite song ever.
    "Don't take your love from me", and "Winter in my Heart" are my favorites :)
  • The_1_Who_Knocks
    The_1_Who_Knocks Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    If they were not on my original list they were meant to be there as well, i also mentioned I know I forgot some good ones lol

Well the omission of Gin Blossoms wasn't nearly as bad as leaving out Everclear, but I've totally forgiven you in my heart.

Actually saw Gin Blossoms a couple of years ago at the 2012 Summerland with Everclear, Sugar Ray, Lit, and Marcy's Playground. They were third billing.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    SOcial D was a given due to my screen name lol, is saw them 2 years ago (hard to go to concerts with a young kid atm) but I was close enough at the front I could have touched Mike Ness if i wanted!

I saw them last year they played between Dropkick Murphys and Offspring
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I also dig...
    Alice in Chains
    Bad religion
    Blues Traveler
    Bush
    Counting Crows
    Crossfade,
    Flogging Molly
    Foo Fighters
    Old Green Day
    Marilyn Manson
    NIN
    Nirvana
    The Offspring
    System of a Down
    Seether
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Stone temple pilots
    Sublime
    Temple of a Dog
    Third eye blind
    Tool

Mother Love Bone
    Jane's Addiction
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Blind Melon
    Danzig
    Pantera
    White Zombie
    Soundgarden

His info is completely accurate actually. Mookie Blaylock was Pearl Jam just a different name, exact same people songs everything, Mother Love Bone was only two members of Pearl Jam, so three members short. Temple of The Dog was a tribute band, half Pearl Jam half Soundgarden. I know you were just compiling a list, he was just correcting you. Watch PJ 20, it's all there.

Nope, she totally left out half of what you put here, so "not to nitpick," but omitting info is clearly the same as being 100% wrong and completely ignorant. Sorry. :flowerforyou:

ETA: Thanks for playing!

The next episode of "I'm pretending your band list is a wiki article" airs tomorrow. Same time. Same station.