what did you sacrifice for better health?

Options

Replies

• shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I don't look at what I did as a sacrifice - I see it as more of a reinvention - I changed and overhauled everything and quite honestly, no desire to look back - there is a reason I am not that person anymore, and I absolutely love who I am now

So while I do things very differently now, I don't really miss anything and everything is new and pretty awesome
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Only thing I've sacrificed is eating whatever I wanted, when I wanted and in whatever quantity I wanted. Now my eating is always mindful of my calorie goal.

Definitely this!
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Many people say not to deprive yourself of anything because in the end it will make you binge, but in my case if I don't stay away from certain things I binge anyways. I want to know what have you sacrificed for better health? Your weekly date night? Fast food? Drinks with the pals? Going to bed earlier and missing your favorite show? What did you give up and are you happy you did? I want to jear something motivational this morning!

I have minimized some things

Alcohol for starters starchy carbs (but still have em once or twice a week) and most sugar
  • sweetstarfruit
    sweetstarfruit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Chinese food. It's my absolute favorite and I haven't had it in three weeks now. I am trying to make it longer, but don't know how long I can continue to hold out LOL.
    I'm getting Chinese food tomorrow and I'm so excited :love: We only have that about 4 times a year so I don't even feel bad.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've truly sacrificed anything I want. I have less of some things I used to have and I think about everything I'm putting in my mouth, but If I really want it, I fit it in my goals for the day. My husband, however, is feeling rather hard done by with healthier food I've been cooking, so maybe I should have let him answer this one:wink:

This. If you want a better life then making changes really isn't sacrificing. To me making a sacrifice means you are completely cutting out something that you really truly want and makes you happy. Our unhealthy habits, although perhaps superficially make us happy or are comforting, really don't do us good in the long run.

If not stuffing ones face with calorie laden treats is a sacrifice then there are other issues going on that need to be addressed. This seems to be the core of our problem here in the US.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Right now... sleep. I need time to commute to work, time to play with my daughter, time to play with my wife :wink: time to do the dishes, time to watch an hour of TV and time to exercise. I'm getting 5 hours of sleep 13 out of 14 days and occasionally I'll sleep in in in in IN on a weekend day.

I also stopped putting potato chips in my tuna fish sandwiches.

I haven't cut anything out, just down... Except for those chips in my tuna fish sandwiches.
  • KariOrtiz2014
    KariOrtiz2014 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Only thing I've sacrificed is eating whatever I wanted, when I wanted and in whatever quantity I wanted. Now my eating is always mindful of my calorie goal.

This!!!
  • Jenjenthejetplane1
    Options
    I sacrificed my daily Chick-fil-a breakfast, and daily lunch time Taco Bell........

Now if I eat that stuff I feel a bit sick :ohwell:
  • DLo_122
    DLo_122 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda and replaced with water (which I NEVER used to drink), gave up on late night binge eating sessions, I stopped making excuses....I ordered T25 and sacrificed 25 minutes per day! It's the best decision I've made!
  • DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    Options

In a way, I've traded being a friend/ enabler to my body to being more like a parent. I make hard, unpleasant choices to (hopefully) better my health in the long run.

This! ^

I would never, ever let my daughter sit down and demolish in one sitting a pint of Haagen Das (coffee, rum raisin, vanilla almond, mmmm....) yet I used to allow it of MYSELF quite regularly. :huh:

I will say, I try to parent myself in a considerably kinder way than my mom did... if I want to eat ice cream, and decide not to, I'll tell myself so in a gentler manner, i.e. "Well, maybe not this time, but let's plan on a vanilla cone later this week on the way home." as opposed to "No, because I'm sick of buying you new clothes every couple of months as you get bigger and bigger."
  • hilly510
    hilly510 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I sacrificed all of my trigger foods. Once you identify them, and understand how they affect you, they start to lose their classification as a trigger food. I used to not be able to control myself around cheese. I had it out of the house for a few months and it lost its hold on me. Now I can keep cheese around and use it for a garnish without going overboard and eating nachos over and over until all the cheese is gone. The same has happened with my other trigger foods.

Pizza..... I can't. If there's going to pizza in the house I have to make at least 3 pieces fit into my day or it's not coming around me. Little Caesar's Deep Dish :love: :love: :love:

I still struggle with pizza!!

I struggle with pizza too! Its mostly a compulsion to finish the whole pie. I can use self control but I THINK about that pizza until it is completely gone.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Sitting on my azz in front of the TV for hours on end. I don't watch much TV these days.
  • Day58
    Day58 Posts: 113
    Options
    Sac-ri-fice : The act of giving up something that you want to keep especially in order to get or do something else or to help someone.

By that definition, I have sacrificed nothing. I didn't want to keep the extra weight and the unhealthy lifestyle. I learned what portion control is, how I can enjoy my favorite foods in moderation, and live a healthy and active life.

So to better my health I gave myself the opportunity and chance to push myself, try new things, and find a love of health and fitness. :smile:

I am on the opposite end. I am seriously addicted to some things that I have to force myself to give up. It's sad this many years in my life I never found my life and health to be more important than the crappy foods I eat. For me it will always be a battle and i will have to sacrifice lots of things to get there. I'm headed in the right direction and I'm glad this is something you don't have to deal with! Good for you girl
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Good sacrifices.
    I gave up cable which saved me money. Now I don't sit mindlessly in front of the TV anymore
    I sacrificed my evening nap before work which is now time spent in the gym.
    Also my size 18 jeans for waaay smaller ones.
  • Day58
    Day58 Posts: 113
    Options
    I gave up soda and replaced with water (which I NEVER used to drink), gave up on late night binge eating sessions, I stopped making excuses....I ordered T25 and sacrificed 25 minutes per day! It's the best decision I've made!

Good for you! very nice decisions and changes made!
  • kor1up
    kor1up Posts: 3
    Options
    Soda. It's been about a year. I miss you Dr. Pepper!!!

Other than that I haven't given up much, although I rarely eat fast food. As long as I don't go over my calorie limit I consider everything else fair game. I do find that I eat a lot more veggies and fruit than I used to.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    butter. i was putting butter on EVERYTHING it seems. not so much anymore. also, making ice cream for the family and taking the bowl with the most.

but mostly i gave up imminent diabetes. :) well worth the trade off.
  • kor1up
    kor1up Posts: 3
    Options
    10 Virgins and 1 Goat.

Lol!! I just about choked on my coffee!
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Arrogance.

I used to think that I could eat after 7 p.m. and make good choices..cause, hey, I'm a self-disciplined person.

Nope. Can't. No way. Just don't even go there.

Used to think I could just eyeball my portions cause I've been doing this for a while and I'm good at it.

I used to think I could bake muffins/cookies/cake for some PTA thing and just "sample it" to "see if it came out right."

Plus, no one is asking me to bring the goodies to the meetings anymore...hmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I sacrificed mindless, careless eating. And it's not like I can go back now, because I know too much. :laugh:

This ^ I'm never going back! :wink: