What is the proper etiquette for children's sleepovers?

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
I had a recent invite for my son to have an overnight that caught me off-guard. So, I'm wondering, in YOUR opinion/experience, what is the proper etiquette for sleepovers, or how would you handle this situation?

“Nikki” (the mom) called me last week at work. She found my number in the school directory. She sounded “rough” for lack of a better explanation, and a bit like she was so incredibly preoccupied she was having a conversation with me and three other people around her at the same time.

The conversation went something like, “Hey, this is Nick’s mom, the blonde basketball player. He’s been buggin me non-stop about having a sleepover with your kid.”

“I’m sorry, who is this?”

“This is Nikki. My kid is the basketball player!” (Note, our kids are 7 years old, and we don't have sports at our school... so what he does outside of school, I would be clueless to).

“I really think you must have the wrong number.”

“Isn’t this LL's mom.”

“Oh, yes, this is… our kids are in class together?”

“Yeah, I’ve got the blonde kid. So is he free tomorrow or Saturday? We’re going bowling Saturday, but I think he could just come along…”

It was SO fast, completely caught me off guard, and I don’t know this lady for *kitten*. I said, “Well, Leland’s dad and I are divorced, so I’ll have to talk to him....” blah blah blah.

Anyhow, my ex is of the opinion it's no big deal, just say yes and let him go. I say, I'd like to at least meet these people first? But I don't also know how to tactfully say that, cause i'm a huge p*ssy. LOL

Give me your parenting advice/opinions....

Replies

• miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, I'd have to meet the parents first!
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't allow it. I'd suggest they have a play date (or two) prior to any sleep over so you can meet the kid and the parents. You may not even want him around this other kid. Sounds like the mother is an idiot. And yes, I'm judging.

I would tell her that he can't do a sleep over this weekend because he has (make an excuse) the following morning but a play date for the afternoon/early evening would be do-able.
  • KrazyDaizy
    KrazyDaizy Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I would say, "we need to meet 1st".

I just did this Saturday to a kid that wanted my daughter to come over to her house and play inside. I said "Ummm, how about no. And if your Mom comes over to meet me then we can talk".

And you aren't a huge p*ssy.
  • FoxBean
    FoxBean Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a play date with that parents involved before hand, you have to get to know these people and feel comfortable. Sounds pretty odd just calling out of the blue, I would be skeptical too!
  • kmm0034
    kmm0034 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Miss Manners advises a two week notice on any sleepover activities, and that you meet the parents first. I have a tendency to consult her on these things.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    You say, I'd like to meet you before hand. Then you tell your child and them that you'll come over to their house for a bit. See how the kids play together. See what their house is like. See what the family is like.

Then go with your gut. Not much more you can do.

OR have them sleep over at your place.

XOXO Being a parent is friggin hard.

ETA: get their last name and call your local Parole & Probation office and ask if the parents are on Probation.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I DO like the kid from class. Nick is a sweet little kid with the biggest smile ever. He's been in my son's class since Kindergarten, so it's not him I have a problem with. And I may not have a problem at all with his mom and dad, I'd just like to know them a little.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    they're meeting for bowling first. I would take the narl to the bowling portion of the evening, but decline the sleepover invite. and get ready to rent some shoes.
  • taranj21
    taranj21 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    i have a 12 year old, and we have the same with the sleepover issue.
    i told her she is not allowed to sleep out at peoples houses, at all, period.
    she can have anyone over our house, but she is not allowed to sleep out.

i would just tell the mom that you aren't comfortable with your son going, as you haven't met them yet.
    if they are as flaky as they sound, they probably aren't interested in meeting you, and will move on to the next kid.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    My parent's rules: They had to know the kid, and they had to know the parents. This included them coming to our house, and my folks and I going to theirs.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Miss Manners advises a two week notice on any sleepover activities, and that you meet the parents first. I have a tendency to consult her on these things.

I can't trust you! You have a tattoo on your face! :) J/k.

This was actually last week. She called Thursday for a sleepover on Friday *LOL* I ended up just saying this weekend wouldn't work out, but now the kids are begging to do it this weekend, so I need to pull my head out of my *kitten* and figure this out.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    My kids already know not to ask about sleeping over at someone's house if I don't know them. Of course, in this instance, the mother asked and not your kid.

Maybe you could go bowling with them, get to know mom, and if you feel comfortable after say yes or no to the sleepover.
  • PghPensFan69
    PghPensFan69 Posts: 2,393 Member
    Options
    Playdate first
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't allow it. I'd suggest they have a play date (or two) prior to any sleep over so you can meet the kid and the parents. You may not even want him around this other kid. Sounds like the mother is an idiot. And yes, I'm judging.

Pretty much this. It's your child, not a houseplant. You should be concerned with whom he spends his time.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Whatever, just let your kid go! You can always make more if something happens to it!

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
  • odusgolp
    Options

Pretty much this. It's your child, not a houseplant. You should be concerned with whom he spends his time.

*hi five* a man in agreement. My ex always makes me feel like I'm overprotective... which I am LOL But shouldn't I be? At least a little?
  • KrazyDaizy
    KrazyDaizy Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Whatever, just let your kid go! You can always make more if something happens to it!

Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
    Good sound advice here.

Do you have have any left over ice cream?
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    In the same situation I might offer the kid to come to my place and not for a sleepover because for sure we've got something going on that doesn't work... until I got to know the kid and parents.
  • odusgolp
    Options

BTW, I've been keeping all the hex keys from your IKEA assembly and fashioning them into a spiny butt plug. Can't wait to shove it up your *kitten*, Eric.

:smokin:
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    "We're busy on Saturday, but how would you like to meet us at the playground [basketball court/whatever] on .... Will that work for you?"

Or you could present them with the 3 page survey to be filled out by parents before child could be dropped off for any playdate. Everything from "Who will be present in the room where the kids are playing?" to "Has anyone in the household or visitors to the household been accused of child abuse?" to "Where and how are the guns in the house kept?"